ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffAgain View Post
I use a ram mount on mine, no probs then.

What are you using to calculate actual speed? Another gps or bikes speedo? I have found it to be accurate with another gps unit. The bikes speedo will not be as accurate for a number of reasons.
I was using two - my Garmin eTrex and my DRZ 400 speedo. My speedo hasn't landed me a ticket yet so i assume its right. Give or take. My Garmin is about 2kms behind the bike speedo and when using it in my ute, its also about the same behind.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Sport-Tourer
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno_where View Post
I was using two - my Garmin eTrex and my DRZ 400 speedo. My speedo hasn't landed me a ticket yet so i assume its right. Give or take. My Garmin is about 2kms behind the bike speedo and when using it in my ute, its also about the same behind.
Interesting. Usually gps units are ahead due to vehicle manufacturers calibrating just below actual speeds. Aust standards allow up to +/- 10% difference in actual speed to speedo readings. I would of thought though that both gps units should be pretty close to each other, given the data rx'ed from the satellites is the same. Go figure. Prob catch up with you on the Eidsvold ride. Out of interest I rode to Gayndah and back on Sun for a 650k round trip. Bike odo and garmin 62s only differed by 3k's which surprised me, as I was expecting a bigger gap.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #18
anthony_p01
Aussie V-Stromer

Oddometer: 9
I've had one since august last year, awesome unit for the price. Was $199 when I got mine but totally happy with it. The fact that the Bluetooth connection is hard coded and you can't use the headset with anything else is a bit of a pain but for the price it's not an issue.

I took the headset off my helmet, cut the speaker off and added a 3.5mm socket. The headset then stays in my tank bag and i run it through a splitter with my iPhone or iPod on the other side into some headphones. Works great.
anthony_p01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_p01 View Post
I've had one since august last year, awesome unit for the price. Was $199 when I got mine but totally happy with it. The fact that the Bluetooth connection is hard coded and you can't use the headset with anything else is a bit of a pain but for the price it's not an issue.

I took the headset off my helmet, cut the speaker off and added a 3.5mm socket. The headset then stays in my tank bag and i run it through a splitter with my iPhone or iPod on the other side into some headphones. Works great.
youre right. it is a pain. but great idea for the ipod. i was thinking to adapt it to suit my UHF VOX headset.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
anthony_p01
Aussie V-Stromer

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno_where View Post
youre right. it is a pain. but great idea for the ipod. i was thinking to adapt it to suit my UHF VOX headset.
Here's what I did with mine. Just bought a Belkin Rockstar splitter and have the headset on one input, iPod on the other.....and with headphones connected it still leaves three more inputs for other devices.

anthony_p01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #21
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

That's... very very good. So Simple yet so effective. Well done I've got the parts to convert the ear piece of the BT device to my VOX et to suit my Uniden UHF. Will post photo when done.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #22
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
For those of you with an Aldi GPS here is the link so you can run other programs like Ozi, I have done it on mine and it works well. Did it on my Work car ALDI GPS as well.

http://maplorer.com/myboot.html

Oh and back up your GPS to your PC before you do this stuff

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #23
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz View Post
For those of you with an Aldi GPS here is the link so you can run other programs like Ozi, I have done it on mine and it works well. Did it on my Work car ALDI GPS as well.

http://maplorer.com/myboot.html

Oh and back up your GPS to your PC before you do this stuff
Cut the speaker off today and put a plug on it and pluged it into my comms unit, all good

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote