Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #4201
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

we saw evidence of a gunfight,

(I had a flashback: does anyone else remember these?)
Actually took one of them from a student a few years back. He popped it in my class. I took it and gave it to his mother at dismissal. BTW if I reported it it would have been considered a weapon and I think my principal would have had to have called the cops, and he would have been suspended.
Yes the world has changed.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #4202
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
I think I still have my cap guns. The ones I have now, make a much bigger BOOM!
Me 2!

Great pics, as always.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #4203
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Actually took one of them from a student a few years back. He popped it in my class. I took it and gave it to his mother at dismissal. BTW if I reported it it would have been considered a weapon and I think my principal would have had to have called the cops, and he would have been suspended.
Yes the world has changed.

No kidding. When I was a junior in HS in 1976 I brought my .270 rifle to school for a demonstration speech on "How to clean a hunting rifle." And that was in San Jose, CA.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #4204
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 150
Rifles

My junior high had a rifle range in the attic, that was used for training purposes in WWII. That would have been interesting to see kids walking to school with their rifles for class/practice. They have since torn that building down.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
No kidding. When I was a junior in HS in 1976 I brought my .270 rifle to school for a demonstration speech on "How to clean a hunting rifle." And that was in San Jose, CA.
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #4205
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
My junior high had a rifle range in the attic, that was used for training purposes in WWII. That would have been interesting to see kids walking to school with their rifles for class/practice. They have since torn that building down.

John

Ours was in the basement. When I took hunter's safety, I thought it was kinda weird yet sorta cool to be walking through the school w/ the .22's on our way down to the range.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #4206
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Ahead of schedule

those 300mile days, day after day, had paid off. We had the luxury of a non-travel day in the bank, and we decided to cash it in. We beat a hasty retreat to Grande Cache, AB, and scouted around for a room.

We settled in at Misty Mountain Inn & Suites, which we would highly recommend. Best of all, it was DRY!, nearly empty (this being off season), roomy, well-appointed, and cheap.

We had a suite with a kitchen, so after we ditched our gear to dry,

we took a walk to buy groceries and resupply.

Why don't we have this in the states?

Not that it matters, LDF wouldn't let me buy any.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #4207
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This sounds fun!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #4208
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped at the visitor's center

or "Centre" in canadian, where we succeeded in finding the proper Backwoods mapbook for Central Alberta,

saw some neat displays, this one explains the headless animal we saw running around:

Watch out!

hello kitty,

Interestingly, neither of the naturalists working at the centre were able to identify the black furry rodent-like beast I'd seen on the forestry trunk road from the day before.

I'm sticking with "woodland caribou". That's my final answer.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #4209
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The rest of the day was spent

having a nice steak for lunch,

enjoying quality time in front of a legal campfire,

and cooking ribs, setting off the smoke detector and having a nice bottle of wine for dinner.

We slept well, dreamed of sunny days, and hoped for an early, dry start to tomorrow.

A well-earned 25 miles.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-23 M7.GPX (49.4 KB, 45 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 02:58 PM
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #4210
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
Nice wine

Always good to get inside some days ain't it? Love your RR....love Painted Turtle Pinot Noir too!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #4211
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
You left a prodigal amount of meat on those ribs, camper.
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #4212
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
You left a prodigal amount of meat on those ribs, camper.
My god, it was a miracle we ate as much as we did -- when we were food shopping our eyes were WAY bigger than our stomachs! I thought we were going to explode.

PS, nice use of the word prodigal!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #4213
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tuesday May 24th 2011 M7 day 12

Grande Cache, AB to Emerson Lakes campground in Sundance Provincial park, AB

click on image below for a bigger version
Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #4214
vineyarder
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

Hey Dr. Rock and LDF!

Short time member, long time lurker. Want to use my first post to give you guys a real high five.

I've enjoyed your ride reports from the beginning and wish you the best on where ever the Mobius takes you.

John on the Vineyard
vineyarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #4215
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyarder View Post
Hey Dr. Rock and LDF!

Short time member, long time lurker. Want to use my first post to give you guys a real high five.

I've enjoyed your ride reports from the beginning and wish you the best on where ever the Mobius takes you.

John on the Vineyard
Thanks, John -- I'm working to finish writing up this leg, 'cause we're already packing for M8!