Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #46
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
Anyone tried the IRC GP-110 tires? These look like a good fit for my kind of riding, but if anyone has any gripes about them I'm all ears. I'm on pavement more than dirt, but I want good grip in the dirt. Currently running the d606's that came on it. No real complaints about them, but I could use a more streetable tire. If the dirt ride is too much of a trade off I might stick with the 606's.
Didn't like the 110 rear. Loat traction too easily on any surface with a grit covering as though the compound was too hard.

Have a play with Shinko 705's. Good on road, cheap and better off road than they have any right to be.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #47
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Ordered a pair of Kenda 761s today. They looked good and had a good review from buyers. I'll miss the 606 traction off road but only spend about 10 per cent of the time there. I would like to take a trip without all that racket. My 606 front tire with 3000+ miles wore really strange. Every other nob wore down to the quick and the others had a weird angle of wear. I'm guessing it wore that way because I'm heavy on the front brake?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #48
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Ordered a pair of Kenda 761s today. They looked good and had a good review from buyers. I'll miss the 606 traction off road but only spend about 10 per cent of the time there. I would like to take a trip without all that racket. My 606 front tire with 3000+ miles wore really strange. Every other nob wore down to the quick and the others had a weird angle of wear. I'm guessing it wore that way because I'm heavy on the front brake?

Sounds like high air pressure. But, then again, if your softly sprung the tires will get like a saw blade too.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #49
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Sounds like high air pressure. But, then again, if your softly sprung the tires will get like a saw blade too.
Thats what I was thinking too. Saw blade is a good discription. A friends DRZ with the same tires and miles are in good shape.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #50
mantramoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
17" rear

Does anyone know if the 17" rear rim of a 1993 DR650 will fit onto a 2000 DR650? I am assuming it will - but I have learned not to trust all my assumptions. Thanks.
Marin/Sonoma County
mantrawines.com
mantramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #51
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Didn't like the 110 rear. Loat traction too easily on any surface with a grit covering as though the compound was too hard.

Have a play with Shinko 705's. Good on road, cheap and better off road than they have any right to be.
The 705's were another thought of mine, I like the tread pattern. However most of the "off road" riding I do is on gravel roads, and I'm afraid these would act just like street tires on gravel. Any experience?

Most of the riding I do is on the street commuting, so the 705's would probably be the best for me right now. I don't like riding the gravel roads around me anyway, they are highly washed out and it feels/sounds like my dr is falling apart beneath me. If I could find some nice flat DIRT roads I'd be set...
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #52
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
The 705's were another thought of mine, I like the tread pattern. However most of the "off road" riding I do is on gravel roads, and I'm afraid these would act just like street tires on gravel. Any experience?

Most of the riding I do is on the street commuting, so the 705's would probably be the best for me right now. I don't like riding the gravel roads around me anyway, they are highly washed out and it feels/sounds like my dr is falling apart beneath me. If I could find some nice flat DIRT roads I'd be set...
Gravel sucks, I ride so much on pavement and gravel mixed with hard packed dirt roads that I can't really run TKC's or 244's etc and expect more than 3K from them. The 705 on the rear is the best all rounder out there IMO. I get twice the life from them.

If tread life ain't important the Shinko 700 is pretty good on mixed roads while being slightly better on loose stuff. I'm running 700's right now but, the rear is half gone at 1500 miles. My last 705 rear went 6K easy. I'll be putting another 705 on soon, the 700 feels good but, it wears out too quick. The rear will be done by 3000 miles or so. I don't like chaiging tires that often. I did 3500 miles last month....

I do like the 700 on the front and a 705 on the rear though. Its a good mix for DS touring.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #53
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Very good in gravel.

No problems here either...

Slight problem here...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #54
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Good lord!!! This bike won't see 1/2 the gnarly stuff as what's in those pictures.

Good mileage reports also.

Looks like I know what tire I'm getting!

I'll order up my tires and a wheel balancer/weights and swap them over myself. Now to decide on hd or non hd tubes.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #55
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Got the 705's all mounted up today. Got both tires and two tubes from motorcycle superstore for under $150, a few different wheel weights (clamp on style) for $9, and a wheel balancer from harbor freight for $50. The rear tube I purchased had what looked like a staple hole next to the valve stem, so I had to re use my old tube. No big deal, but I better get another tube from motorcycle superstore or I'll be a little irritated.

From getting the bike on the lift to taking it off the lift with everything back on, it took me two hours per tire to swap them out. (I had to change them separately due to front and rear tires shipping differently.) This being my first time changing tires on a motorcycle. All I had were two tire irons, a big c clamp, and a full bottle of windex. (Now only half a bottle of windex) I had several issues trying to get the bead(s) seated on the front tire, but I finally got it to seat properly. The rest of the time it was just trying to get the tires on and off the wheel. The answer is a lot of windex, tiny bites with the tire irons, quite a few expletives, and body weight. (The last of which I don't have a lot of)

It was a pain in my to swap these things out, definitely not something I want to do all the time without some kind of tire machine and the proper tools.

Regardless, Both tires are mounted and balanced. Took it for a test ride and all seems well. I'll have to do some more riding to get a better feel for the tires, but now the bike is more stable at high speeds, and doesn't roar down the road. (I think I might miss the roar every now and then)
I think these tires should work just fine. I sure hope I become impressed with them offroad, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #56
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
I think these tires should work just fine. I sure hope I become impressed with them offroad, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.
I think you'll be surprised. In a good way.

When you come across a section and think "bugger that". Try it anyway.

Works for me...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #57
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,468
must be a downunder thing, i've never thought bugger-that
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #58
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post

I have thought "you first", Get the camera.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #59
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye View Post
You must be a bmw owner.