User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #1876
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 191
Shift Lever

Fellow Domi Riders, Does anyone know of a longer gear shift lever for a 88 US NX 650. I wear size 14 boots and its a real pain going through the gears. Thanks, Bruce.........
Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #1877
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbansk View Post
Fellow Domi Riders, Does anyone know of a longer gear shift lever for a 88 US NX 650. I wear size 14 boots and its a real pain going through the gears. Thanks, Bruce.........
I know this sounds crude, but what about chopping the front end off and welding an inch of steel in-between?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #1878
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
I know this sounds crude, but what about chopping the front end off and welding an inch of steel in-between?
Not crude at all...

Extension added:

Finished:

This is not an NX650 shifter, but it could easily be done with the 650's (or almost any shift lever for that matter). I've been using this shift lever on my DR for the last 4000 miles with no problems. It's much more comfortable than the stock length. Assuming you have steel shift lever, you should be able to find a local welding shop that would do this for about one hour's labor (probably less, but usually they charge one hour minimum, typically $60-80 per hour). If you can't find someone local, I'd be happy to do it for $50 plus shipping.

I would not suggest doing this with an aluminum lever because it's nearly impossible to find out the exact alloy the lever was made with and you need to know this to find a filler metal that won't crack. Steel doesn't have this problem.

The way I determined how much to add was to find a bike with a more comfortable lever length, then measure from the peg center to the end of the shift lever. I added 22mm to the above lever to get the length I wanted.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 01:13 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #1879
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
Not crude at all...

In progress:

Finished:

This is not an NX650 shifter, but it could easily be done with the 650's (or almost any shift lever for that matter).

Nice finish!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #1880
burbansk
Exit222

Oddometer: 191
Thumb Great Idea

Switch and Pablo, Thats a great idea, I will check the alloy of my lever today. Pretty sure it is steel. No matter what the question, you guys always have the answer. Thanks again, Bruce.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #1881
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Glad to help!

By the way, if any of you guys wanted a Jagg oil cooler or similar, I'm selling mine - getting an upgraded design for myself Check out the flea market if interested ;)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #1882
Nicholas Chan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Would you have any links for the lowering kits? I haven't been able to find any for my NX650 1991 (RD02). Would really appreciate the assist, thanks!

Quote:
Easy to lower the bike. There's even lowering kits available, not to mention messing with the suspension or trimming the seat foam. I've seen 5'5" girl tip-toe a dommie without hardware mods (just dialed suspensions).

Oil level is a bitch to check. Hard to get right. Owner should know.

Cold, the engine shouldn't whirr or make funny metallic noises.
Nicholas Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #1883
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Sorry, I don't know of any lowering links. I could possibly source some, but the price would be prohibitive for the first batch. Subsequent batches would be much cheaper but for the first batch I'd have to pay for the R&D...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #1884
da9jeff
n00b

Oddometer: 9
so I bought the 93 Domi, im thinking it needs some pipes and a rejet (stalls sometimes at the lights and occasional pop when being silly). Laser produro seems to be the only one left available, not sure if its twin or single (would like to keep twins) and Staintune would be another option. Ive found a dynojet kit on some baja website, about $50usd seems ok, but i'll get a quote from the local bike tuner to tune it with the new pipes. Also found "daves carb mods" would it be a good idea to do that with the dynojet kit? either that or get the dyno man to do it all?Also, are there any gains in a K&N filter?

What have I missed and what pipes should I get?

Also, the speedo drive is buggered, so looking at a trail tech, but have read that the XR650 kit is for the R and not the L which i apparently need....is there a solution to this?

Ps loving the bike

Cheers,
Jeff

Sachs Madass 125

'81 Zooki GSX250 project bike

da9jeff screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 06:37 AM
da9jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #1885
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
so I bought the 93 Domi, im thinking it needs some pipes and a rejet (stalls sometimes at the lights and occasional pop when being silly). Laser produro seems to be the only one left available, not sure if its twin or single (would like to keep twins) and Staintune would be another option. Ive found a dynojet kit on some baja website, about $50usd seems ok, but i'll get a quote from the local bike tuner to tune it with the new pipes. Also found "daves carb mods" would it be a good idea to do that with the dynojet kit? either that or get the dyno man to do it all?Also, are there any gains in a K&N filter?

Also, the speedo drive is buggered, so looking at a trail tech, but have read that the XR650 kit is for the R and not the L which i apparently need....is there a solution to this?

Ps loving the bike

Cheers,
Jeff
In my opinion, either go with pipes + On-Dyno tuning if you want performance or just get pipes + some basic re-jet and forget about it if you're into it just for the sound or the sake of it. Personally I prefer stock.

For the TrailTech, you need the following: XR250/XR400/XR600R/XR650L kit, which is Vapor Kit: 75-402 (or similar kit in Black). This is the best possible match for the NX. Also, I highly recommend either purchasing a Temperature Sensor: 24" 600mm Temp Sensor Extension Wire or chopping the sensor that comes with the kit and splicing in some extra 20 inches of wire. The idea is that the stock temperature sensor doesn't properly reach the place where it's supposed to be installed.

The speedo will work without issues (all you need is a drill to put a hole in the caliper mount). For the temp sensor read above. The tacho will... be... dodgy. It will work but it's slightly on the unreliable side. Aka you can't use it for 100% accurate reading at any moment, only generic readings. Currently I'm working to fix that (it's all trial and error).
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #1886
Nicholas Chan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
EGU from Germany makes a fine looking twin exhaust for the NX650 (along with other mods like camshaft, oil cooler, stainless headers, etc)

http://www.egu-motoren.de/onlineshop...87e0bee926.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post

Ps loving the bike

Cheers,
Jeff
Nicholas Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #1887
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Hey switch, any chance you have a photo of how you mounted the speedometer and magnet? I just installed the vapor and I'm not sure where to mount the magnet as I am not getting any reading from the speedometer.

Quote:
In my opinion, either go with pipes + On-Dyno tuning if you want performance or just get pipes + some basic re-jet and forget about it if you're into it just for the sound or the sake of it. Personally I prefer stock.

For the TrailTech, you need the following: XR250/XR400/XR600R/XR650L kit, which is Vapor Kit: 75-402 (or similar kit in Black). This is the best possible match for the NX. Also, I highly recommend either purchasing a Temperature Sensor: 24" 600mm Temp Sensor Extension Wire or chopping the sensor that comes with the kit and splicing in some extra 20 inches of wire. The idea is that the stock temperature sensor doesn't properly reach the place where it's supposed to be installed.

The speedo will work without issues (all you need is a drill to put a hole in the caliper mount). For the temp sensor read above. The tacho will... be... dodgy. It will work but it's slightly on the unreliable side. Aka you can't use it for 100% accurate reading at any moment, only generic readings. Currently I'm working to fix that (it's all trial and error).
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #1888
switch
Romanian Trailbiker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
Hey switch, any chance you have a photo of how you mounted the speedometer and magnet? I just installed the vapor and I'm not sure where to mount the magnet as I am not getting any reading from the speedometer.
I don't have any as my own bike has a different (320mm) brake setup. A friend's bike has the sensor mounted against the caliper mount. I'll make a drawing tomorrow :)
Here's a crude drawing. When installing this I followed the XR caliper mount suggestions. Note that the small hole must be drilled out. I didn't use the supplied self-tapping screw; instead I used an M5 or M4 bolt + washer + (some half-washer designed to prevent the screw from accidentally un-screwing - don't know the English name for it).

Left piece is the fork leg, right piece is the caliper mount.
Attached Images

switch screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 07:07 AM
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #1889
da9jeff
n00b

Oddometer: 9
cheers for the info, ill let ya's know how it goes.

Sachs Madass 125

'81 Zooki GSX250 project bike
da9jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #1890
JeroenDominator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I used the touratech BMW F650 bracket for mounting a wheelsensor. I placed two magnets in one of the brake disc bolts. This works perfect and is very easy to mount.

Regards,

Jeroen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
JeroenDominator is offline   Reply With Quote