grey skies,

locked gates,

beavers,

restricted areas,

thick sticky MUD, (and worn knobs)

impenetrable (and wet) FOG,

burned out tail lights,

and more wet fog mud and cold riding.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #4217
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
the good news

we were having a blast!

just riding on forest service, and pipeline access roads, trying to piece together a route from tons of options, finding the connectors and getting to the next town / gas stop without having to backtrack, not quite knowing what we were getting into, but seeing some cool stuff along the way.

this was classic Mobius.

(The Olympic Flame)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #4218
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

and at the end of the day

we had this place to ourselves, .

unfortunately, while the campfire ban had been lifted, no one came out here and told us, or took down the signs, so we were kind of chilly.

We parked the bikes in the camp spot,

but set up the tent in the much nicer "day use" area.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #4219
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

we'd covered almost 150 miles

sat around for awhile, pretending that we had a campfire,

ate,

checked maps for routes,

but ultimately got so chilled, that we got up and went for walks and took pichers 'till we got tired, then we went to bed.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-24 M7.GPX (67.3 KB, 60 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 03:59 PM
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #4220
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Scenes from Emerson Lakes

campground.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #4221
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 161
Bzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
campground.
Those mosquitoes were horrible! Hear them buzzing your camera.

That lake looks fun to fly fish.

John
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #4222
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
Those mosquitoes were horrible! Hear them buzzing your camera.

That lake looks fun to fly fish.

John
Actually, it was nearly silent, which is what I was trying to capture, but the video cam has an auto-gain, and when it is that quiet, it starts recording feedback. It sounds like insects, so I left it in, but in reality, it was DEAD quiet.

It was really a beautiful spot, despite the crappy weather and the campfire ban.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #4223
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wednesday May 25th 2011 M7 day 13

Emerson Lakes campground to Evansburg , AB

click on image below for larger version

More of the same, 'till we'd had enough and called "uncle"

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 05:48 AM
Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #4224
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The day started

cold and wet. Again. I'd scouted what seemed to be an interesting connector road through the maze of pipeline access roads. Nice and curvy, up at elevation, through forest land.

Unfortunately, as soon as we got above about 3800ft, we were riding in the clouds.

the ground was soaked, and goggles would bead up as if it was raining, but it was just a heavy, dense fog... bordering on a mist. The chill permeated through every layer we'd wear. I was keeping an eye on the knobs... I knew that if they started to pack up, we'd have to turn around.

conditions deteriorated from there. We had about 30-40 miles of this. And we weren't sure if it went through, or if we'd have to backtrack.

Needless to say, our morale was taking a beating.

"words" were exchanged. The intercoms were turned off for a little while to cool down.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #4225
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eventually,

we came to a gas facility, and it seemed we'd hit a dead end. We turned around, and saw this marking the road we'd just finished riding.

I scrolled around the GPS for a few minutes, and realized that we just needed to take the continuation of that road, and it would spit us out on the highway where we could get gas, hot coffee, and dry off.

Sure enough,

Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #4226
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section

progressed from lower-elevation rolling hills,

to flatter prairie,

this is how we felt,

and when it came time to start thinking about where we were going to stop for the day, neither of us was in the mood to camp again with the weather looking like this:

so we took our chances in the one-horse, one-motel town of Evansburg, AB.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #4227
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The GPS had two motels listed

but we could only find this one:

It didn't look like much from the outside.

Or the inside. But we got a room, for pretty cheap, and sidled up to the bar. The people couldn't be nicer. The motel/liquorstore/restaurant owner was a motorcycle rider, and had us park our bikes out back next to his motor home. We had some grub at the bar, and hung out the evening drinking with locals, swapping stories, and having some good laughs. It was Stanley Cup playoffs, and was kind of a trip to be sitting in a Canadian bar watching hockey with the locals. Quite a hoot.

All in all, a pretty good day.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-25 M7.GPX (68.2 KB, 49 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 04:00 PM
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #4228
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
It was really a beautiful spot, despite the crappy weather and the campfire ban.
You mean, "Alleged campfire ban..."
Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #4229
CPTBLY
Enjoying the Ride!

Oddometer: 203
Emerson Lakes

Can't believe nobody has asked about Palmer.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #4230
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I can't believe I finally caught up.

Just in time for more!

Thanks for all the work you have put in to this. Its been awesome.