ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #751
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,746
Nice shots non the less aj! Beautiful location

If you happen to have your good camera with you and you want that shot of the sun and the mountain set your f/stop as low as it will go (big number) and play with the shutter speeds until you get that nice sun burst effect.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #752
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
AJ, you're having way too much fun on that big bike. Those Bennitt pass area pics bring back a lot of memories. My buddy worked in a warehouse back in the day so he would fill up his truck bed with wood pallets and we would drive up to Bonney Butte via bennett pass and build these big ass (non-indian style) fires. Followed by a good open flame steak and potato dinner. I can taste it now...

Road a loop last weekend up behind bagby HS on NF-7010 going up and over into the mollalla drainage and found a new washout from this season. Pretty steep down and up into the pit but borderline doable with a little bike, the alternative workaround for this one, coming from the bagby side, would be 40+ miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Rode it a year ago, & just passed by it yesterday, wishing I had time.
A year ago tells you nothing about a possible washout,
but it was a good gravel road with just a few bumps early last year.
the potential washout on still cr is a non-event either way. The workaround was less than a 1/4 and no pavement involved in the workaround. I would wager it's fixed by now given the location next to the hwy.

** edit added approx map link

dvwalker screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 12:13 PM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #753
dale2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Still creek rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Got a question for ya, Still Creek Rd. 12/2612 from Rhododendron up to Trillium Lake, is it open? Just looking for a route to get "CrashClays" KLX 250 off HWY 26 for as long as possible. Trying to put a ride together over Lolo Pass and then down the Barlow Rd. and out to Maupin.
Still Creek Rd. is in great condition. You could do it in a car with no damage.
dale2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #754
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
McCrudy, Apple Jam, Suicide grade/Upper Mill Creek info

I procured some great info on Suicide grade and the Upper Mill Creek Community. I have maps of the community including home sites and graves. I have all the names of the residents. If you interested in getting a copy let me know. I'm in TD every week.

Also, I think McCrudy has the most capable bike (640 right?) to try Suicide grade, I think he should give it a try and report back.

That's all.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #755
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I procured some great info on Suicide grade and the Upper Mill Creek Community. I have maps of the community including home sites and graves. I have all the names of the residents. If you interested in getting a copy let me know. I'm in TD every week.

Also, I think McCrudy has the most capable bike (640 right?) to try Suicide grade, I think he should give it a try and report back.

That's all.
AJ is going to have to show me where it is first! Then I let you know....
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #756
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd do it as I'm married and have little to live for, I just don't want to destroy my bike.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #757
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:

That's all.
All this talk about it makes me want to take my WR250 up there. I'm sure I could make it.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #758
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:

That's all.
I have a book, written back in the 70s, about the old Mill Creek community and sawmills that existed at the turn of the century.
But no map, except a small hand-drawn-ish map in the book, drawn by the author, from one of the old residents' (likely fading) memory.

The map would be a bonus to my book (autographed by the authors!!)

There were still two building foundations up there, when I was up there last, maybe 8-10 years ago.
I had to walk my mountain bike up that steep-ass deteriorated grade then, but the ride at the top was fairly flat atop that ridge.
It'd be a fun trip, again.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-Z View Post
All this talk about it makes me want to take my WR250 up there. I'm sure I could make it.
Let's GO!!!!!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #759
dvwalker
Working to ride

AJ, perhaps you could post up a quick gpx file with a waypoint or GE my places map with an approx location? Sounds like it might be a cool place to visit with the little bikes. Or would this be giving away the receipe for the tribal secret sauce?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #760
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
AJ, perhaps you could post up a quick gpx file with a waypoint or GE my places map with an approx location? Sounds like it might be a cool place to visit with the little bikes. Or would this be giving away the receipe for the tribal secret sauce?
http://oregon.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,1,fid,1156999,n,suicide%20grade.cfm

Out Mill Creek rd, just South of the end of the pavement,
is a little non-descript dirt road heading East, down to the bottom of the valley.
7152 Mill Creek Rd is the last house on the pavement, where I grew up.

You'll ford Mill Creek right off the bat, and it should get funner as you go up the other side.

Come down to Mill Creek from Ketchum on that grade we stopped for a view that day, and you'll have a good rough ride.

When you coming out our way again?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #761
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
Come down to Mill Creek from Ketchum on that grade we stopped for a view that day, and you'll have a good rough ride.
Thanks got it, we were looking straight across the valley at that ridge finger from ketchum. Heck that's only a few minutes from my place as the crow flies.

Quote:
When you coming out our way again?
Well, will have to wait a bit after my rt5/rt4 trip starting next week. But looking forward to another camping trip later this fall, before the steady rains that is. I took a ride on Sunday between cascade locks and Takhlakh Lake to complete out my wabdr trip. Sort of the northern hood. Last July I was turned around on this leg by snow. Ran into 2 big GS bikes on the route hauling the mail just south of trout lake. They were going to fast to stop and talk. Almost sent you a ride PM on sat but figured you and Mrs AJ would still be getting reacquainted.

takhlakh lake (crawling with people I might add)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #762
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Almost sent you a ride PM on sat but figured you and Mrs AJ would still be getting reacquainted.
Mrs AJ (now Mustangshelly) and I took a good ride Saturday up to Laurance Lake above Parkdale,
and then past it (probly for the LAST time) way up to it's end at Pinnacle Ridge trailhead.

This is one of the sections that'll be part of the new "Hatfield Wildlife Preserve"
as an excuse to close this up and back forest road that gets you up so close to the base of the Hood.

No views from this road, just a gravel cruise through the forest.
It's just a fairly boring up-n-back, so it's closure does not bother me much,
and it's already adjacent to Wilderness.

It'll keep some of the Subarus and Priuses from dusting up this beautiful section of forest.
At the trailhead to Pinnacle Ridge, that's what it was.
4 Subarus, two Priuses, and a VW "Westfalia" Camper top Van. Fucking Classic.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #763
el guapo nada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Suicide Grade

Here are a couple of pics from my '97 FS map:

The main Rd running across the middle of this pic is Mill Creek Rd. Coming from The Dalles, SG is the first road to the left after you hit gravel. It appears to head down into somebodies back field, but actually skirts it right as you approach the creek, which, when you're at the edge of, the way to proceed becomes quite clear.

This shows SG as in runs up and along the Eastern Ridge of Blackburn Canyon into TD watershed.

I would go again, but I don't have the appropriate machine......

.....or do I??
Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #764
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Just a note on Suicide Grade Rd.
Maps show it going through on the top side, connecting to other roads.
It does not go through, it is an up-and-back road only, now.

The Dalles Watershed closes the SE end.
SG is within the Watershed, but is still a legal road until the gate at it's end.
This Watershed was the beginning of the demise of the South Fork Mill Creek Community.
They were no longer allowed access to South Fork Mill Creek,
when "Dalles City" (now, The Dalles) closed the watershed to secure it's open water source.

It used to, many years ago, loop around to the NE to Mill Creek Ridge Rd,
but that goes through private proerty (Arrowhead Ranch), and has also been closed.

BTW, Mill Creek Ridge Rd (past the end of the main Mill Creek Rd) is an awesome rough road,
but-decent-rider-on-a-big-bike-freindly, beautiful loop up towards FS17, and into Parkdale.
Views galore, one of my favs
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #765
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

AJ, it sounds like you have the same Upper Mill Creek Community book that I have. I have several copies for those that are interested.

Also, do any of you know about the lone grave site on 48 and Gate Creek? I'm gonna try to find it today.