Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #136
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 645
One man's beauty queen is another man's nag...

One woman's prince charming is another woman's deadbeat...
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #137
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Is she hot?
Actually she looks a lot like your wife. Ok, maybe slighly skinnier. Well... now that I look at your wife maybe your wife looks like a cross between my wife and her slightly heavier older sister.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #138
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 478
I bought the F800GS, but I think I f*cked up. I only had time to break it in for 1500 miles before a 5000 mile CDR trip. I trusted BMW to make an ADV ready bike for me. I knew it was a mistake trusting this bike.

Stupid piece of crap couldn't keep gas in the tank, and the rear tire is now halfway worn down.

Bleh.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #139
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I bought the F800GS, but I think I f*cked up. I only had time to break it in for 1500 miles before a 5000 mile CDR trip. I trusted BMW to make an ADV ready bike for me. I knew it was a mistake trusting this bike.

Stupid piece of crap couldn't keep gas in the tank, and the rear tire is now halfway worn down.

Bleh.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #140
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:

Bleh.
Have you noticed that if you try and ride faster to get to your destination before the fuels gone or the tyre disappears that the problems get worse ? Stupid pile of crap!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #141
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 645
Quote:

Bleh.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #142
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
(just giving you a hard time!)

you all are cracking me up. i will have to say that i love both bikes. the honest to god reason i bought the tiger is because in the long run it was thousands cheaper (for me). in fact i went in to buy the F800 and walked out with the TigerXC... i thought we were all here to be fellow ADV riders? every bike suits every rider in a different way.
Damn forgot I'd Posted that, I put it down to age!!!

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #143
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Rocket Motorcycles

I went down to Rocket Motorcycles today to finally get my breakin milage done and picked up my skid plate that came in and talked to Lance. He does not know the lost rider from Adam and has never ridden track and does not of course give out private information on customers. Lance like i said before is a cool dude and Rocket Motorcycles is a pretty cool shop. Thats all I'm going to say on that topic. Come to your own conclusions on the guy spreading trash.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #144
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Seems to me that the 800XC should be more appropriately compared to the F650GS. More road-oriented.

Just to be sure. You know that there are two versions of the tiger? A road oriented and a dirt oriented bike.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #145
sgtmarkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just get a KLR
Just kidding Been looking at both (Bimmer and Tiumph) I'll have to ride both to make up my mind
Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #146
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
+1 on that.

Heck yeah you could tell. Not only is the 800XC 25 lbs heavier overall, but that damn 5 gallon gas tank is up so damn high on the bike. That makes 800XC feel like a tank compared to the low center of gravity the 800GS has. The 800XC feels like a 475 lb bike when you're riding it. Whereas, the F800GS feels like a 300 lb bike (thought it is not) when you're riding it.

Agreed as well. However, we shouldn't forget that BMW did it first (and better IMO). The Tiger 800 XC is virtually a clone of the F800GS.... as in Triumph's attempt at a F800GS. Not very original.

Totally.
I got my Tiger a couple weeks ago and have been riding a BMW G650 for 3 years. The Tiger is much heaver but does not feel heavy at all on the trail. Some people are saying it feels lighter than a F800GS. I can't verify that but i can say the tiger feels balanced and lite. Its a much much better dirt bike than my BMW G650 thumper. Its so confidence inspiring in the dirt and so smooth on the road. My G650 has the tank under the seat as well like the F800GS but i'm much rather be on the Tiger in the dirt. So i'm not really convinced that the lower tank is making such a huge difference as people are thinking. After all some people have given the Tiger a better dirt rating. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/254/10117/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Triumph-Tiger-800-XC-Comparison-Review.aspx
and saying it is a better handling bike especially better than BMW in the dirt.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #147
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckinet View Post
I would pick the F800 better off road, the tiger is a better street bike because of the 3 cylinder, but not as good off road because of the 3 cylinders. I ride the road to get off road. Also warranty 3 years for the BMW and a year for the tiger.
Actually the Tiger has a Two year not a one year and the Tiger inline 3 is awesome off road.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #148
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 740
So why are you actually here?

honestly no bullshit why are you on the f800 forum?

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #149
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
So... Um I think the OP was kinda directed toward people that own the 800gs "would you still buy and 800gs?"

We are all well aware of how happy you are with your purchase X Country.

I have put 11,000 mile on my F800 since i bought it in April. I have ridden it hard off road. Its been down probably 40 times. Maybe that says how much i suck. I have had zero issues with it other than a seeping valve cover gasket.

I am happy that i bought it. It has taken me far more places than i thought it would be able to.

I am fairly certian that you have worn out your welcome. You have thrown 4 year old insults at a fairly respected member in this forum. That is kinda hard to take back.

You are also the first person I am going to have to ignore. Which is even more upsetting because you are wasting more of my time because I'm going to have to have figure out how to do that.

grndzr0 screwed with this post 08-25-2011 at 06:45 AM Reason: I was tired and said "head gasket" instead of "Valve cover gasket"
grndzr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #150
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddward View Post
I bought my F800 almost a year ago. The odo is a few miles shy of 5k with the bulk accounted for rolling along the tarmac. It is my daily commuter year round. My friend recently bought a Tiger a few months back.

After numerous comparisons I have learned this:

-The tiger tank is bigger, but with less fuel economy we are both empty at 200 miles.
-The stock seats are near enough the same to kill your backside. An Airhawk is your friend.
-The tiger ABS is tedious to turn off.
-Aftermarket parts for the tiger are less numerous and sometimes difficult to find. The bike is still too new.
-The F800 computer controls are easier to navigate.
-They feel quite similar to sit on, however the F800 is narrower near the thighs.
-The F800 foot pegs feel higher.
-The tiger low end throttle is factory smoother. With a booster plug in the BMW they are similar.
-Both dealerships have been exceptional. Gateway BMW for me. El Dorado Cycle for him. Both in Missouri.
-The handle bars are factory higher on the tiger. Same height as the F800 with a 20mm riser.
-The tiger is more front and back balanced, where the F800 is more front heavy.

Riding and handling: There is a slight difference in "feel" (sorry for the lack of specificity but that is as best as I can do) and position. Road and off-road performance is similar, where the tiger has a slight road bias and the F800 has a slight off-road bias. I would speculate most of the differences are driver based rather than design.

Had I to do it over again, I would still buy the BMW F800GS. It was and still is my dream bike taking me where ever I want to go. My friend would still buy his Tiger for the same reason. My lack of dirt miles will be quickly remedied in the near future.

BUT... for those on the fence, In six weeks we depart for Yellowstone. 4K miles of mixed roads and dirt trails. We decided it would make a good competitive ride report.
You made some thoughtful comparisons. Not the normal this bike in a heartbeat kind of post. Couple of comments here though. The Tiger seat i think is much better than the F800GS 2X4, Also more options for protection are available right from triumph that you can fiance right with the bike that you'd have to go after market for with the F800GS. Things like skid plates, crash bars and performance exhaust that you can get with your bike from the dealership. Also there are lots of after market options for the Tiger as well.

Touratech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7XWEHMbcwc

Twisted Throttle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-W2EejDlc

SW Moto Tech http://www.youtube.com/user/swundbag.../0/IdGiuNnjd1Q

Alt Rider http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...or+Tiger+800XC

Happy Trails http://www.happy-trail.com/Departmen...-plus-%29.aspx

Again thanks for the educated insight!!