Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #4231
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM 3 View Post
I can't believe I finally caught up.

Just in time for more!

Thanks for all the work you have put in to this. Its been awesome.
Thanks -- I'll get right back to it soon. We've got this little hurricane thing goin' at the moment.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #4232
hitchiker_forever
Crazy

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thanks -- I'll get right back to it soon. We've got this little hurricane thing goin' at the moment.
You ok? CNN said they had tornado warnings in Long Island....
hitchiker_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #4233
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
A great RR......with great photos....thanks for taking the time.

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #4234
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Holy smokes, batten down the hatches on the ADVloft...

You and LDF stay safe, (but take pictures!)

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter

Motojournalism screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 06:10 AM
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #4235
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Survived

I made it into work this morning in the thick of it, wearing a kevlar mesh padded jacket, and a motocross helmet with goggles. -- I looked like the original Stig, all in black.

On my bicycle. Streets empty except for cops, deadfall and debris all over the place, standing water at intersections, and gusty winds. Good times.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #4236
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTBLY View Post
Can't believe nobody has asked about Palmer.
For the longest time I'm thinking to myself... I know this is funny, but I'm not making the connection.

But the second I heard LDF (who got it right away) say it out loud -- "Emerson lakes... Palmer?", it triggered the recollection.

Well played, sir.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #4237
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thursday May 26th 2011 M7 day 14

Evansburg AB, (Home of the Grouch) to Edmonton, AB

click on image below for larger version:
Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #4238
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was our last day

of riding for M7. We were giving ourselves a few days to do some comprehensive maintenance on the bikes, and Dave (AlbertaStrom) had been kind enough to offer up a spare room, garage space and tools. So Dave & Wanita's would be our final destination, only 70 or 80 miles away.

It was another dreary morning, but our barfriends from Evansburg came out to say good morning and send us on our way.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 12:54 PM
Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #4239
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
For the longest time I'm thinking to myself... I know this is funny, but I'm not making the connection.

But the second I heard LDF (who got it right away) say it out loud -- "Emerson lakes... Palmer?", it triggered the recollection.

Well played, sir.
You just got the reference? I got it, "from the beginning".
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #4240
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had to jump on pavement

to get across the Pembina,

once past that, though,

we aimed for the straight dirt farmroads.

through small towns,

replete with woodland caribou,

and other wildlife:

these little mayflies were horrendous. They were so thick, I thought I was going to suffocate. We couldn't even talk to each other on the intercoms, 'cause you'd get a mouthfull of bugs.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 01:18 PM
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #4241
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The bugs

weren't non-stop... nor were they particularly filling.

we wound our way across woods and farms,

and slowly the sky started to clear, and the temps warmed up.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #4242
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At last,

we got our first glimpse of the Edmonton skyline (on the right of the photo below):

and soon after ran out of dirt roads,

and not long after that, we were being warmly welcomed at Dave & Wanitta's home.

It felt good to get out of our boots.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2011-05-26 M7.GPX (49.1 KB, 44 views)

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-29-2011 at 04:05 PM
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #4243
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dave (AlbertaStrom)

stayed with us for a couple of days at The AdventureLoft™ July 2010 on his cross-continent trip.

He'd generously offered to put us up if we ever were anywhere near Edmonton. If he knew then what he knows now.

After iced tea, we got started right in with the bikes... washing,

Assessing the chain-oilers (failed, both bikes -- back to the drawing board, stay tuned for a new system, and possible corporate sponsor )

Old 08-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #4244
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The bikes had about 40lbs

of dirt, mud and rocks crudded on them,

These bikes aren't garage-queens by any means, but it still felt good to get them clean.

We figured that was enough for the day, we'd let the bikes dry off overnight, and sat down to an incredible dinner of grilled filet mignon roast.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #4245
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
I wonder how many anti-chain oiler folks are going to weigh in on your comments? My vote would be to toss them and replace the chain every 8000 miles.

So where is the next trip? Any plans for Montana?

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote