Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #91
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I got my cable from burnsmoto.com and am damn glad to have it.

Thanks!

D.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #92
Dave RII
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalum Kid
I also checked into getting a fuel pump controller as a spare. Other discussions mentioned the price of a new controller at 65 Euros and $95 USD. At the one and only Calgary BMW dealer the quoted price was $216.81 CAD (0.90 CAD ~ 1.00 USD). Question - could this part be ordered via www? (PN 16147720776)
You should be able to get it here....

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search_BMW/16147720776/
Dave RII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #93
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalum Kid
Whooo

I just got my bike back from the BMW Dealer (Calgary, Canada) after having the fuel pump controller replaced. The bike was down for 18 days. They did the work at BMW's cost, but it did not turn up on the list of "Technical Campaigns" for the bike (R1200GS, production date March 2008).

I've order the cable from Burns, and hopefully it will arrive soon. Its good to have the bike back, but confidence is not high!

I also checked into getting a fuel pump controller as a spare. Other discussions mentioned the price of a new controller at 65 Euros and $95 USD. At the one and only Calgary BMW dealer the quoted price was $216.81 CAD (0.90 CAD ~ 1.00 USD). Question - could this part be ordered via www? (PN 16147720776)

BTW, I saw the old fuel pump elecronic controller they took out and it looked great. Not dirty, no corrosion, the plastic cover (epoxy) was intact with no cracks, the connectors looked good (shiney contacts), and the turquois o-ring looked and felt good without cracks. It was "to be returned to BMW".

Jim
They finally issued the recall notice in canada last week.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #94
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,515
I had my bike in for tires today (in the US) & they told me there was a "campaign" for the fuel pump controller & they gave me a new one without my asking. Official recall won't happen for a bit they said (months).

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #95
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Yesterday I had mine in for the "recall". I was in a hurry so didn't get details of what it entailed, but I had heard about it here . That article suggests it is a seal, and not the controller itself?? It would be good to get the facts. I'll try to get more info from the dealer on Monday and post here.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #96
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,515
I was told they replaced the fuel pump controller. It would make sense that if the old seal was faulty they would not just replace the seal, as the existing controller might already be damaged.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #97
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578
Yesterday I had mine in for the "recall". I was in a hurry so didn't get details of what it entailed, but I had heard about it here . That article suggests it is a seal, and not the controller itself?? It would be good to get the facts. I'll try to get more info from the dealer on Monday and post here.
Confirmation from my dealer that it was indeed the controller that was replaced and not just a 'seal':
The part that was replaced was the electronic mechanism inside of the fuel pump, part #16147720776. It was replaced because the old style let water get in there...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #98
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 921
Mine is in for this right now. They had the part, but, are waiting on the "sealant". Sounds like it gets sealed in Goo (silicone?) to keep any water out.

Sigh. I miss my bike.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #99
SullyTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I come seeking the wisdom of GSpot

My 05 GS recently quit without warning (luckily I was at home at the time). I checked the spark plugs, and they were fine. The bike then started a couple of times, so I left it alone. However, when I went to check it one last time before going to bed, it was back to failing. It will turn over and almost start, but no luck. Today, I thought I might have a bad tank of gas, so I removed the tank (JVB video very helpful), changed the air filter, emptied the tank, and replaced it with fresh gas, but still no luck. I was about to start a new thread asking for input when I saw this one. Is it possible that the fuel pump controller is my problem? I know that the o-ring around the controller on my bike is turquoise colored; does this mean the service has already been done on my bike ?(I'm the second owner, bought it last fall) Would a failed controller cause the situation I described?

UPDATE: I just disconnected the left side quick disconnect fuel line, then turned the ignition to ON. No fuel came out. Am I correct in thinking that a small amount of fuel should come out of the line when the ignition is switched on? If I am correct, does this provide any evidence that the fuel pump controller is toast? I apologize for my embarrassingly poor mechanical knowledge.

SullyTX screwed with this post 10-19-2009 at 09:48 PM
SullyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #100
xover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Fuel Pump running with no module OK R1200xx R1200GS

Hello Gentleman,
I would like to share my experience with you.
After 4 consecutive modules burned out, I decide to try the bypass cable.
My bike is succesfuly running without the fuel pump control unit. It has already around 10 000km without any kind of trouble.

For my experience the control module lasts in medium 17 000km. That is not enough. Does not matter what release of the module is. The heat is buring that electronics. BMW designed this module in order to make the life of the fuel pump longer and also to save a bit the fuel filter (part of the flange).

If you look at the ETK you will see that the part number of the fuel pump of the R1200GS is the same as the one of R1150GS.

R1150GS never had such a module to keep the pump safe. But the fuel pumo of that bike, never had serious issues related. Yes it happened some bike to have problems at 120 000km with the pump.. but it was not that bad. They were very a few, noting to do with the R12 with that module..

The module is driving the pump to work between 80 and 100% of its power.
Tha idea was really good but we saw that, it has been realized in very bad way.

I feel much safer to run my bike without the module considering the very very low reliability it gives. The quality of the pump even running all the times at 100% is 10 times better.

I think if BMW could cut this trouble (the entire module ) off ...would do this. But I think this is the biggest error of that project and it is quite hard to be admitted. I am still convinced it has been introduced with very very good intention, but the bike was not tested enough before production to realize this could not last. Unfortunately I am still not aware of ANY release that is not burning out of this specific electronic component.

Best Regards
Martin

xover screwed with this post 11-18-2009 at 05:52 PM
xover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #101
anze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bluhduh Is it the controler

Tried to start the bike yesterday and when i turned on the ignition there was no sound from the fuel pump. So I took out the 911gs and tested the fuel pump and it worked. no Errors no nothing. Went to my friend and borowed his controler. Installed it today and I have the same problem. No sound from the fuel pump upon ignition.

Now the question here is. With testing the fuel pump with 911gs does this mean that controler also works?

If it is not the controler thats dead. What is it?

The Battery is full, kill switch is off. The bike is in neutral.

br,

Anze

anze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #102
anze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Laugh Back from the dead

Got the bike back today from service. Had it there for one day.

The mechanic took out the fuel pump and reversed the poles on it, so it started working in oposite way. He tested it than in normal mode and it worked. He said it must have been stained or something.

It`s weird because it worked with gs911. Well I don`t care cause the ride back home was sweeeet

Oh and he gave me a spare controller (used) just for the sake of it. For freeeeee.

anze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #103
TurboCharger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anze View Post
Tried to start the bike yesterday and when i turned on the ignition there was no sound from the fuel pump. So I took out the 911gs and tested the fuel pump and it worked. no Errors no nothing. Went to my friend and borowed his controler. Installed it today and I have the same problem. No sound from the fuel pump upon ignition.

Now the question here is. With testing the fuel pump with 911gs does this mean that controler also works?

If it is not the controler thats dead. What is it?

The Battery is full, kill switch is off. The bike is in neutral.

br,

Anze
+1

Had the exact same problem you described. Immediately I thought I was the FPC, as I have already had one of these fail, but alas after doing the FPC bypass, the pump still doesn't work, no sound, nothing coming from it when hitting ignition. AND my GS911 doesn't output any error codes regarding the fuel pump. My instinct tells me that the Fuel Pump is failing but my GS911 doesn't confirm it so I'm not entirely sure.

I will have to pull the entire fuel pump out and test it but before I do this I wanted to know if anyone else has any tricks to test the fuel pump. ie. in a previous post, it was mentioned that reversing the +ve and -ve terminals might work to check if the pump is toast or just blocked. Can I connect a 12V battery directly to the Fuel Pump without any concerns that it will cause a problem?? Are there any issues with reversing polarity??

Thanks for any advice.

Sydney to Oslo Riding2up - you should try it some day!
www.riding2up.net
TurboCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #104
cord4530
danimal

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCharger View Post
+1

Had the exact same problem you described. Immediately I thought I was the FPC, as I have already had one of these fail, but alas after doing the FPC bypass, the pump still doesn't work, no sound, nothing coming from it when hitting ignition. AND my GS911 doesn't output any error codes regarding the fuel pump. My instinct tells me that the Fuel Pump is failing but my GS911 doesn't confirm it so I'm not entirely sure.

I will have to pull the entire fuel pump out and test it but before I do this I wanted to know if anyone else has any tricks to test the fuel pump. ie. in a previous post, it was mentioned that reversing the +ve and -ve terminals might work to check if the pump is toast or just blocked. Can I connect a 12V battery directly to the Fuel Pump without any concerns that it will cause a problem?? Are there any issues with reversing polarity??

Thanks for any advice.
Sorry for a late reply. Assuming the fuel pump wiring is disconnected from the rest of the bike (the blue plug below the FPC is removed) then reversing polarity on the pump shouldn't cause any problems. Being a little DC motor, it will just spin backwards.

Did you already fix the problem? If so, what did you end up doing?
-Dan
cord4530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #105
TurboCharger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by cord4530 View Post
Sorry for a late reply. Assuming the fuel pump wiring is disconnected from the rest of the bike (the blue plug below the FPC is removed) then reversing polarity on the pump shouldn't cause any problems. Being a little DC motor, it will just spin backwards.

Did you already fix the problem? If so, what did you end up doing?
-Dan
So yes I have fixed the problem, the update is that the FPC didn't actually fail, but I jumped to a conclusion too hastily and ended up soldering a bypass across the FPC anyway. The real problem was the Battery, it was dead, wouldn't even turn the starter (which just went click coincidentally when I hit the start button).

New battery and new FPC (thanks BMW) and the bike is now back on the road and we're rolling again.

Sydney to Oslo Riding2up - you should try it some day!
www.riding2up.net
TurboCharger is offline   Reply With Quote