TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #1007
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,566
OK, so I'm going to Dakar!!

I will proudly bear the advrider F5 flag in the Atakama!!

I'm looking to rent either a van or a car from BA to Lima, if that's not possible (Peru is the problem?) then up to Arica or Iquique and then cross over and get another rental to Lima.

I want to camp near the bivouac everyday so no sightseeing apart from the race.. (ok if we can squeeze some south American scent into it I'm game but the race is the main course)

Any other inmates interested please PM me so that we can team up.

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

I can't believe I will actually TUNE IN to Radio Marray!!
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #1008
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,866

Let's keep in touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post

I'm looking to rent either a van or a car from BA to Lima, if that's not possible (Peru is the problem?) then up to Arica or Iquique and then cross over and get another rental to Lima.

I want to camp near the bivouac everyday so no sightseeing apart from the race.. (ok if we can squeeze some south American scent into it I'm game but the race is the main course)

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #1009
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post

Let's keep in touch.
Yeah, let's!

I'll pm you (again).. Perhaps we should start a new thread?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #1010
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
We have boots on the ground!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #1011
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

F5 Foot Soldiers!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1012
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
F5 Foot Soldiers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

You will surely know more about the race that us (most of the time we'll be on the road oblivious to the hot action), but I bet we will be able to embellish this year's thread with some juicy bits whenever the gods of the internet will bring a wi-fi spot in range...
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1013
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,773
Oh boy!

Wow! We are going to get some wicked good coverage this year.

Your efforts are truly appreciated!!
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #1014
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
- Purchase a vehicle:
Plus: not having to return.
Minus: cost for a reliable vehicle big, or do we get something we can walk away from in Peru. This would be a balance between reliability and cost. Unknown taxes, tariffs, ect.

- Still some unknowns for us on border crossings in whatever we travel in.
Yip this could be problematic. If you bring a foreign vehicle into Peru you have three months to get it out again or it will be seized by customs. You can import it, but the rule is you have to do that on arrival, and the duties are 40-70% , also older vehicles are not allowed to be imported. its a right PITA, ask me, I imported two bikes a couple of years ago. You find if you rent a vehicle in Peru, you cannot take it out of Peru either, so that option does not work either.

I think it may actually be cheaper to buy a vehicle in Europe and send it over with the ASO ship, that way you can still sell it when it eventually gets back. Its the easiest way around the customs peeps in Peru. Trust me when I say these guys must be the worst in South America.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #1015
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Yip this could be problematic. If you bring a foreign vehicle into Peru you have three months to get it out again or it will be seized by customs. You can import it, but the rule is you have to do that on arrival, and the duties are 40-70% , also older vehicles are not allowed to be imported. its a right PITA, ask me, I imported two bikes a couple of years ago. You find if you rent a vehicle in Peru, you cannot take it out of Peru either, so that option does not work either.

I think it may actually be cheaper to buy a vehicle in Europe and send it over with the ASO ship, that way you can still sell it when it eventually gets back. Its the easiest way around the customs peeps in Peru. Trust me when I say these guys must be the worst in South America.
we have spent 5 months trying to sort out a cost effective assistance vehicle solution for Dakar 2012

the only rent option is to rent in Buenos Aries and have someone drive it back to BA from Lima

no one will rent one way BA to Lima

we have done as suggested above, our truck now comes from Sweden via ASO ship and a 4x4 car direct from Australia, this is has been the cheapest and least fuss options, strange but true
Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #1016
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

Awesome! I will be there too, certainly the Lima section and may be chasing the race from Southern Bolivia (where our bikes will be).

Ping me closer to the time you can probably crash with us in Lima.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #1017
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:

So that Peru thing is going to give us trouble... I was thinking of finding an Argentinean who would be willing to follow along, and have to return with expenses paid out plus some extra for his ordeal, is that really the only option?

How about renting up to Arica and then rent another vehicle in Peru? The bad thing about this is that we will have very little time to make it right. Could you see if pickup at the border on the Peruvian side is an option? Arica is 17km from the border...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
we have spent 5 months trying to sort out a cost effective assistance vehicle solution for Dakar 2012

the only rent option is to rent in Buenos Aries and have someone drive it back to BA from Lima

no one will rent one way BA to Lima

we have done as suggested above, our truck now comes from Sweden via ASO ship and a 4x4 car direct from Australia, this is has been the cheapest and least fuss options, strange but true
There is no way I'm shipping anything over there, no dinero for starters..

Quote:
Awesome! I will be there too, certainly the Lima section and may be chasing the race from Southern Bolivia (where our bikes will be).

Ping me closer to the time you can probably crash with us in Lima.
Will do BlueBull, I'll let you know my exact route (actually ASO will let us know) and we must hook up.!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #1018
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Tserts, you should be able to rent a vehicle from Tacna, which is just this side of the border with Chile (otherside of Arica really) You could probably taxi the gap. So look at hiring to Arica and then from Tacna - That could work...

Otherwise if your Espanol is okay you could probably find a guy with a car and pay him S/.100/day maybe 200 including food and accommodation for the bloke (his problem) and he would drive you. Basically it would involve convincing some nutcase a taxi that sort of "looks" like it can maybe do the distance and off you go... Could be quite fun. Alternatively hitch up on the fly with some other dakar supporters- there are bound to be thousands, these guys are totally bonkers about Dakar in Peru as well.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #1019
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Quote:
Tserts, you should be able to rent a vehicle from Tacna, which is just this side of the border with Chile (otherside of Arica really) You could probably taxi the gap. So look at hiring to Arica and then from Tacna - That could work...

Otherwise if your Espanol is okay you could probably find a guy with a car and pay him S/.100/day maybe 200 including food and accommodation for the bloke (his problem) and he would drive you. Basically it would involve convincing some nutcase a taxi that sort of "looks" like it can maybe do the distance and off you go... Could be quite fun. Alternatively hitch up on the fly with some other dakar supporters- there are bound to be thousands, these guys are totally bonkers about Dakar in Peru as well.

Mi espanol es bastante bien so I'm not worried about being stranded or not being able to deal with the locals, on the fly transport is much more dangerous in the sense that (in order of importance) a) I might get mugged/raped/murdered b) I might get left behind (this circus moves really fast) c) I might be carrying more than I can carry on foot so I will be less flexible. Hitching up at the last minute is very risky in that I might be unable to do that and there is in plan B.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #1020
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
It's official now:

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote