The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
1. i'm in LOVE with this latest addition to your thread
2. how i DREAM of riding my hack somewhere like this
3. THIS is my favorite picture:

i brightened it up a bit
i hope you don't mind
i'll remove it if you do:
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #137
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,298
Clearwater--

That pic was taken from the Anderson Creek Road approximately here --

N44 32.458 W116 08.982

in case you ever make it out this way!

Your version looks great-- it was 10am on a sunny warm day and Kirby and I had just taken a swim in that lake. The Kirbs loves swimming especially if there is a stick to be fetched . . . over and over and over.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #138
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,422
Driving The Dogs

I've been following your thread,I've been interested in sidecars and Schnauzers, I was about to buy a Hannigan for one of my 1150gs's, but have failed to make that much of a commitment and opted for an older Wing with a Ural on it from one of your neighbors his address is Firecrest or University Place,I'm guessing they're Tacoma Suburbs.
What sort of economy have you been getting ? I'm planning on a 5 gal fuel cell in the trunk and moving the battery on the wing as my 16 pound co-pilot mini Schnauzer,isn't much ballast,he has been traveling in a folding crate on my GS's but he and the camping gear gets to be allot and I've always been intrigued by sidecars.I haven't really been to the NW for 25 years but I see by your images its still beautiful.thanks.DB
Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #139
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I've been following your thread,I've been interested in sidecars and Schnauzers, I was about to buy a Hannigan for one of my 1150gs's, but have failed to make that much of a commitment and opted for an older Wing with a Ural on it from one of your neighbors his address is Firecrest or University Place,I'm guessing they're Tacoma Suburbs.
Yeah--I live in University Place and my house is only one block from the border of Fircrest, so your rig must have been a neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
What sort of economy have you been getting ?
I keep my mileage logs by GPS (accurate) as well as the odometer (inaccurate). The GPS mileage gives me my actual MPG, but the odometer mileage gives me a number that I can compare to other guys, because most guys use the inaccurate ODO when posting their numbers.

So anyway, on this last trip, I got 30.5 mpg but according to the ODO I got 32.75.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #140
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Clearwater--

That pic was taken from the Anderson Creek Road approximately here --

N44 32.458 W116 08.982

in case you ever make it out this way!

Your version looks great-- it was 10am on a sunny warm day and Kirby and I had just taken a swim in that lake. The Kirbs loves swimming especially if there is a stick to be fetched . . . over and over and over.
thanks for the location link
so beautiful there
i have been out that way once in the past
on a road trip on a K1200LT... a bit different than my current ride
love the vision of kirby chasing that stick in the water
i have 2 dogs... one of whom is a portuguese WATER dog... (Disco... named by my then 10 year old daughter)
and... she'll walk a mile to avoid stepping in a puddle
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #141
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

I have read and heard enough about BMW speedo's that they have a 5% error and that is BMW's plan, I deduct 2mpg off whatever the odo figures.I think 30ish is pretty decent for such a rig,
I think mine is coming from 53rd St University Place, this is a start in sidecars and I won't be afraid to get it out in the winter here where we have salt on the roads.DB

I keep my mileage logs by GPS (accurate) as well as the odometer (inaccurate). The GPS mileage gives me my actual MPG, but the odometer mileage gives me a number that I can compare to other guys, because most guys use the inaccurate ODO when posting their numbers.

So anyway, on this last trip, I got 30.5 mpg but according to the ODO I got 32.75.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #142
hooligan67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Dmc-ezs rig

Don't get to the old computer much these days, but saw this thread and wanted to post a couple of 'glamor' shots of my own DMC produced work-of-art.
Thanks to Jay/Doug/Barry for their meticulous attention to detail. The rig was offline for a while after I managed to crash it last year; banged up the front end and tore the fender off.
Anyway, front-end has now been re-glassed, fender has been replaced and I just got it back from the shop after a make-over-flat-black-paint-job. Added some decals and am now just waiting for the bumper/light-bar to be repaired.
I am in LOVE with this thing!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #143
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

nice pictures above
i hope that you will repost them in a new thread with a ride report or 2...... please
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #144
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Beautiful...pretty streamlined- this EZS compared to my snubnosed M72d. Noticed that you wrapped your exhaust pipes with insulating tape. Does this help in less heat hitting your boots?
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #145
hooligan67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Exhaust wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Beautiful...pretty streamlined- this EZS compared to my snubnosed M72d. Noticed that you wrapped your exhaust pipes with insulating tape. Does this help in less heat hitting your boots?
It cuts down on heat loss considerably - looks pretty cool in person also...
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #146
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan67 View Post
It cuts down on heat loss considerably - looks pretty cool in person also...
From personal experience! DONT DO IT. Caused my pipes to rust/rot on my GSXR1K. I had to buy a complete header. I have heard lots of stories about it causing that. Second system was Jett Hott coated. Was just as cool and no corosian
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #147
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Jet-Hot

I've ceramac coated 3 bikes, hot pipes work (flow) better, the jet-hot folks also coat the inside of the headers keeps the heat moving , the O2 sensor happier and the look more consistent.DB
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #148
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Did a 1000-mile loop last week from my home to Crater Lake and back. We (me and my dog Kirby) camped. Did a lot of back roads. Did some dirt. Saw a lot of volcanoes.

Volcano #1--Mt. Adams

Volcano #2--Mt. St. Helens

Here you can see the trees killed by the Mt. St. Helens eruption with new growth sprouting in between. This is on FR 99 which BTW is quite a fun road.

Volcano #3--Mt. Hood

Three Creek Lake south of Sisters, Oregon. This lake is at about 6500' elevation and note the snow fields in late August.

Here's the route we took from Three Creek Lake around Broken Top (Volcano #4). Note that this 7.5 mile stretch took 90 minutes to complete.

Here are some shots from that section of the trip. Like always, it was either too steep or too gnarly to get pics of the really difficult sections.

So when we popped out into the open south of Broken Top on Tumalo Loop Road, there's Mt Bachelor (Volcano #5).

Here's Broken Top (Volcano #4), South Sister (Volcano #6) and Middle Sister (Volcano #7.) If you know this area, then you know I'm missing pics of two other volcanoes--North Sister and Mt. Jefferson.

This is near the Wickiup Reservoir. If you have the chance to go here, take a pass. A most dreadful place. Looked nice on the map, though. But really awful. This here is a silt road.

After escaping from the Wickiup Reservoir, we found this little water hole on Crescent Creek, just north of Crescent, Oregon. We went for a swim. I took off my boots and socks, but kept all the rest of my gear on (this was Day 3 and my gear and me were a little rank.)

I love it when you come to an intersection of dirt roads somewhere up in the mountains and they let you know where you are.

Here we are at Windigo Pass. The Pacific Crest Trail is under my wheels.

Saw this tree coming down from Windigo Pass and just had to take a picture of it.

Volcano #8--Mt. Bailey, just west of Diamond Lake where we camped that night.

Volcano #9--Mt. Thielsen

Volcano #10-Mt. Mazama (also know as Crater Lake)

Does Oregon have more volcanoes than Alaska?

DRONE screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 08:11 PM
Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #149
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Great report, Drone. Say, it looks like Kirby is getting taller! The boy has some legs on him now.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #150
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

what a great report
wonderful pictures
i had NO idea there were so many volcanos in oregon

looks like an incredible ride
kirby looks awesome
thanks for sharing all of this with us here