User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #391
mlkdash
Righteous Dude

Oddometer: 75
Laugh Thanks Griz

That is kind of what I was thinking reading the description & specs. Looks good!
mlkdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #392
hurcomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Wunderlich- good BUT....

After loads of research on this site and others i bought the Wunderlich (from Nippy Normans UK and shipped to OZ) a great bag, well made designed etc HOWEVER it gets right in my way when i'm standing on the pegs. I took out the stiffener side panels but it still is in the way. It is worse at higher speeds when I lean forward more.

Anyone else found this and how have you overcome it?
hurcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #393
chaos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I have the Cortech Super Mini...Its great but a little to small for me. I found a great way to mount it though. Super solid,easy and no seat interruption.

I removed the 2 nuts that hold the tank on...well not the tank but you know what I mean.

I fit the bag on then figure where the webbing will sit on those studs. I then took a center punch and heated it up with a torch to put holes in the webbing. The edges melted so that the webbing wont unravel.

Then I just bolted it on...works awesome and took 5 minutes. By the way Im selling this bag after only 1 street ride. I just need a bigger bag, its in new shape and comes with custom GS8 mounting.

chaos screwed with this post 07-10-2011 at 08:03 AM
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #394
butterflymethane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Don't know what the hype is about Wunderlich 1250111 Tank Bag

So I purchased the Wunderlich Tank Bag 1250111, the one specifically designed for the F650GS, based on all the great read reviews out there and I'll be one of the few who will go against the grain and say this bag isn't what it's cut out to be, especially for the price they're asking. I took this bag out to ride the Trans-Lab and tour around Newfoundland and Nova Scotia and I did have a get-off on this bike with the bag, so the bag did get taken through its paces.

Cons:

1) USD $235.00 gives you no waterproof capabilities in the bag nor in the map case. Wunderlich advertises this bag as being waterproof and having waterproof liners. Well, after 15 minutes of riding in the rain, everything in the tank bag got wet. Luckily for me, I wrapped all the contents up in extra zip-lock bags. It was the zip loc bags that kept everything dry, not the tank bag. All my paper maps got wet.

2) If this bag was specifically designed for the F650GS/F800GS, they wouldn't have made it so wide and bulky, thus clumsy. At full lock to the left, the horn button hits the bag, even if you don't put anything into the side pockets. Unless you mount the base plate off centre towards the right, or buy the horn protector, or stop doing tight, left turns, you'll forever be hitting that horn when the bag is on the bike.

3) When attaching the tank bag, if you don't want the bag to interfere with you while standing on the foot pegs, you can slide the bag mount more forward, however, upon doing this, the bag's front buckle interferes with the key. If you don't do any standing on the pegs style riding, slide the mount more rearward and you'll be fine.

Pros:
This bag is large and will hold a good amount of things, has many well thought of conveniences, like d-rings, clips, straps holders, but they're just that, conveniences, but not necessary. Build quality is good (other than not being waterproof). Material seems durable and the look of the bag is stylish.

Overall, this is definitely a good tank bag, but for me, the 3 above inconveniences, especially how they advertise this as being a waterproof bag, surely is not worth the asking price.

Thus continues my search for a good tank bag worth the price they're asking.
butterflymethane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #395
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
You got a duff one. Take it back. Mine's 100% waterproof.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #396
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
FirstGear Laguna Expandable...

Anyone have any experience with this bag?
It has a few bells and whistles, I havn't seen one in person....
It does not look like the cell phone pocket is big enough for an iPhone...

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Luggage...wBackpack.html

I just got a flyer from CycleGear where it is on-sale for ~$135

I know volumes on these bags are small, but I have serious problems with the prices ...

JRWooden screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 06:22 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #397
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 365
DSLR in Coretech super mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket009 View Post
I have the Super Mini and carry a Nikon D200 and it easily fits with a 18-200 lens, extra battery, cards, etc. Case interior is approximately 8" long. 7" wide at the top and tapers down to 5" wide at the bottom. Personally dislike tank bags and only use it to bring the camera along for easy access. It is relatively small and a decent price compared to other bags I was looking at. Also have a huge Touratech bag, but I find myself packing it completely full of lenses and gear I seldom need. Highly recommend the Cortech.
This was EXACTLY what I had in mind for this bag. Like you, I don't really want a tank bag, but to carry a full size DSLR it's the thing. Now my question: IS there also enough room in there for some padding under the camera? I'd probably line the whole thing in foam like a Zero or Pelican camera box. Could I get a good inch of foam under the camera?
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #398
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Super Mini mounting

There are some great mount points at the seat end as discussed already. Up front, I wanted the straps to leave the bag at their intended angles; ie: splayed just slightly outward to give some lateral stability and so everything could be as flat and neat as possible. Wrapping the supplied strap around or through the headstock & headstock bracing doesn't accomplish this; the straps are drawn together along the centerline of the bike. It's possible to pass the provided strap through the headstock bracing and then out to either side and under the air inlets, then up to the tank bag, but that's too wide.

I found the perfect solution was to cut the supplied strap into two pieces and anchor each one to the braces for the radiator mounts. To do this, I made two triangular hooks out of some heavy steel wire, and sewed one end of each strap around one. These hooks fit into the roughly 1/2" lightening holes in the radiator brackets. The straps then go straight up to the bag. I added a ladder lock buckle to each strap as well, so that once he length is set they never loosen. At this point, I also trimmed the neoprene pad back to give better clearance around the ignition switch, power port and my electric jacket controller which is mounted to the right of the ignition switch.

The bag still sit's far enough back that I do press against it when standing, but only a little & I think it'll be fine. It's very stable and fits a DSLR with generous foam padding, nothing more.

The only downside to my mounting system is I need to remove the two front straps if I remove the bag, since they would come un-hooked and fall off otherwise. That's also a positive though, as it leaves the bike cleaner.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #399
porschenator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag.....

Just covered 2900 miles along the Continental Divide Routed with a Giant Loop Fandango......couldn't have been any better! Small, but very roomy with two compartments that can be size adjusted........'forward' angle on the rear of the bag for great standup position. I really like their gear!

giantloopmoto.com
Attached Images

porschenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #400
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
I used the GL Diablo on an F650GS for a x-country trip -- bike broke down about 2500 miles into it, so only have a pic of the attachment. Thought it worked well.

NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #401
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post
There are some great mount points at the seat end as discussed already. Up front, I wanted the straps to leave the bag at their intended angles; ie: splayed just slightly outward to give some lateral stability and so everything could be as flat and neat as possible. Wrapping the supplied strap around or through the headstock & headstock bracing doesn't accomplish this; the straps are drawn together along the centerline of the bike. It's possible to pass the provided strap through the headstock bracing and then out to either side and under the air inlets, then up to the tank bag, but that's too wide.

I found the perfect solution was to cut the supplied strap into two pieces and anchor each one to the braces for the radiator mounts. To do this, I made two triangular hooks out of some heavy steel wire, and sewed one end of each strap around one. These hooks fit into the roughly 1/2" lightening holes in the radiator brackets. The straps then go straight up to the bag. I added a ladder lock buckle to each strap as well, so that once he length is set they never loosen. At this point, I also trimmed the neoprene pad back to give better clearance around the ignition switch, power port and my electric jacket controller which is mounted to the right of the ignition switch.

The bag still sit's far enough back that I do press against it when standing, but only a little & I think it'll be fine. It's very stable and fits a DSLR with generous foam padding, nothing more.

The only downside to my mounting system is I need to remove the two front straps if I remove the bag, since they would come un-hooked and fall off otherwise. That's also a positive though, as it leaves the bike cleaner.
I thought the stock strap set up was pretty bad also!

Here's what I did: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=304

The bolts in the picture were hex-head and all I had on hand when I started messing around, I have since replaced the bolts with button-head cap screws for a cleaner look and lower profile.

JRWooden screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 06:53 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #402
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

A caution on the cortech Mini: You get what you pay for in terms of build quality. It fits well and I was happy with it, but in a recent dirt riding crash I must have applied some pressure to it as I came off the bike, and the rear mounting point ripped right out of the bag. I turns out it's just tacked into the seam, which is a single line of stitching.

I can fix it easily enough, but that's very weak construction.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #403
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
I have a Firstgear I believe it is the silverstone line. It's not on their website so I am guessing it may be last years model. I wanted a small one. I am currently doing some modification to it though. I making the single strap in the rear into one and then attaching them to the screws under the seat. Someone else did that on here and that is where I got the idea.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #404
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Have the Wolfman Express Tank bag. Fairly small and suits me fine. Sturdy and easy access. Expandable. Easy to snap off and take with you if you parked away from where you are going. Has a pocket under the plastic map holder which is a handy place to stick any other documents you may need. Out of sight but easily accessable. Also has a zippered pocket in the inside of the lid.

Used recently on a 3 month trip in Mexico. Very usefull.

Bitches: Because it is squarish, did get in the way a bit when standing. I could have moved it forward a bit but was too lazy.

Great tank bag for me - would buy one again if needed.
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 AM   #405
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
Another Vote for the Wolfman Express

+1 on the Wolfman Express. I did a fair amount of research before I bought mine and have had it for four months now. While I haven't ridden it in the rain yet, so far I like it for it's intended purpose.

I use it principally to carry my DSLR camera and extra lens so I can easily access them. It removes easily so I can take my gear with me and reattaches in just a couple seconds. The rain cover fits in the rear pocket and can be put on very quickly. All in all, I am very happy with it

Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote