Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #76
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
Hey Tony, sorry I don't have anything for the DR650 yet. I'm waiting for someone to bring me a stock unmodified bike for me to fit a rack to. They will get the rack for free and I will build a jig to make more of them. I need to put up a notice on the northeast thread.
i see no dr takers yet. i'll post your vendor thread in the big dr thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #77
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i see no dr takers yet. i'll post your vendor thread in the big dr thread.
Thanks eakins!! It just so happens that a DR owner that's an hour away from me just PM'd me and would like to bring it here for me to do some R&D. After that, I'll put up a new thread asking for input on what DR riders want in a rack.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 09:50 AM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #78
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
i dig the rack, might want one for my DR when you get them done. i say stick to the square tube, fuel cell on left and a tool tube bracket on the right above the exhaust.

sign me up!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #79
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I have one of these racks and it is terrific. I have the square tubing and like it (personally) for better contact between the rack and my tail bag. It has the new style rounded corners and four bungee loops on the bottom. I asked Tom to move the bungee loops more towards the middle instead of at the corners and this has worked out well. Tom also built it with the RotoPax option. It is very sturdy and it works in conjunction with my Dirt bagz racks (just had to remove a slight bit of the plastic fender on the left side, non noticable). I would highly recommend this rack if you need a larger rack for longer trips.

Hopefully Tom didn't get flooded from Irene like many Vermont towns like my hometown of Bethel VT. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #80
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Thanks eakins!! It just so happens that a DR owner that's an hour away from me just PM'd me and would like to bring it here for me to do some R&D. After that, I'll put up a new thread asking for input on what DR riders want in a rack.
cool. looking forward to seeing the DR design.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #81
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i dig the rack, might want one for my DR when you get them done. i say stick to the square tube, fuel cell on left and a tool tube bracket on the right above the exhaust.

sign me up!
Those are some good ideas that I am going to consider for testing. If all goes well I'll include them as options on the new racks.

While I also like the square tube, the reason I'm considering switching to round tube, is that there will be a lot less grinding after welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
I have one of these racks and it is terrific. I have the square tubing and like it (personally) for better contact between the rack and my tail bag. It has the new style rounded corners and four bungee loops on the bottom. I asked Tom to move the bungee loops more towards the middle instead of at the corners and this has worked out well. Tom also built it with the RotoPax option. It is very sturdy and it works in conjunction with my Dirt bagz racks (just had to remove a slight bit of the plastic fender on the left side, non noticable). I would highly recommend this rack if you need a larger rack for longer trips.

Hopefully Tom didn't get flooded from Irene like many Vermont towns like my hometown of Bethel VT. oclv
Thanks OCLV, nothing makes me happier than a satisfied customer! Glad to hear that it worked with the Dirt Bagz racks.

I was lucky that I live on a hill and the house was unaffected by the storm. The bridge a half mile away didn't fare so good.

I'm hoping to get over to Bethel to check out the Class 4 and Legal Trails with a friend soon.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #82
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 432
Thumb

Quote:
I'm thinking about round instead of square tubing. It would also have radiused corners. Everything else would be the same. The first one is yours! I'll let you know as soon as I get one built. Thanks, Tom
Howdy Tom, just tripped over this thread. That looks like a perfect fit for my needs. I'll take your second one of the new DRZ400S design, with bungie hooks and a Rotopax mount in the middle.

Thanks for doing the design work and fabbing these up for your fellow inmates!

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #83
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Any chance of an "E" version...

Probably not, it seems that I just need to swap my "E" subframe for the "S" subframe - so many more choices when it comes to rear racks on the DRZ.

Free bump.

M.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #84
Roll-sen
Hater be Hatin'

Oddometer: 132
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Probably not, it seems that I just need to swap my "E" subframe for the "S" subframe - so many more choices when it comes to rear racks on the DRZ.

Free bump.

M.
+1 for a way to adapt to fit an "E".
Roll-sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #85
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Multhaup View Post
Howdy Tom, just tripped over this thread. That looks like a perfect fit for my needs. I'll take your second one of the new DRZ400S design, with bungie hooks and a Rotopax mount in the middle.

Thanks for doing the design work and fabbing these up for your fellow inmates!
You're more than welcome Jonathan! Thank you for your interest! I have been so busy with other work, that I haven't gotten any of the new design made yet. I am looking into new fabrication equipment right now to make them less time consuming to make. I hope to able to make a few in the next couple of weeks. I'll PM you when I know when. - Tom

Quote:

Free bump.

M.
Yosso, if someone brought me an "E" model, I could make one to fit it. The rack is free to whoever brings me one.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #86
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
You're more than welcome Jonathan! Thank you for your interest! I have been so busy with other work, that I haven't gotten any of the new design made yet. I am looking into new fabrication equipment right now to make them less time consuming to make. I hope to able to make a few in the next couple of weeks. I'll PM you when I know when. - Tom

Yosso, if someone brought me an "E" model, I could make one to fit it. The rack is free to whoever brings me one.

I posted a link to your thread in the DRZ400 thread...so we'll see what happens.

Regards,

M.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #87
jackpiner57 OP
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
I posted a link to your thread in the DRZ400 thread...so we'll see what happens.

Regards,

M.
Thanks yosso, I appreciate it! I got some new equipment delivered here today, but won't be able to set it up or do anything with it for another week or so. I have three jobs I need to finish first. After that, I'll make up a few racks with the RotopaX option, and a few without it and see how they sell.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #88
mji294
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Your racks look great. if you have any interest in making a rack for an XT225 or a KTM LC4 I could bring you my bikes.

Mike
mji294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #89
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
if you have any interest in making a rack for an XT225 or a KTM LC4 I could bring you my bikes.
Do it, man! Do you know what those guys are willing to pay for parts?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #90
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 432

Howdy Tom. You fabbing any of your new "round tubing" racks yet? I'd love to post a picture of one installed on my DRZ!

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote