User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
It should have been me, BMWMOA srticle TAT on a GS

Just got this month's MOA magazine and there is an article about a guy doing the TAT on a R100GS. I haven't read it yet but heck if someone did it on one of those paralevers.......dang maybe I should have done it on the G/S.

OH well someone needs to get their G/S out and do this. Any underemployed G/S riders up to the task!!! I can't see the TAT in my future as employment is very uncertain hence currently re-enrolled in school after 20 plus years....

I think this would be a great thing for Jenna to do...a girl and a mono lever. Wonder if we could talk her into it. Better yet two or three monolevers togetherf!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 06:14 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Where have you been all these years, OLH, it has been done hundreds of times not only by me ...

I did three quarters of it in 2006, 2007 and 2008,the last portion from mid Colorado to the Pacific is still to be done.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

So you haven't done the fun part yet? Is that what you're telling me Sorry couldn't resist that one....

I just haven't seen anything recently, or any threads here about it at all. Most do it on a thumper. Anyone who does it on a big bike KTM 950 or big GS has my admiration for their skills. I just got by and probably would have done lots worse if riding solo. Riding w/ two others gave me the confidence to do things I wouldn't have done solo.

On thing i noticed about the article is they were going lite...sans camping gear. Probably be a PITA with a big bike, but very doable on a little thumper. That's kind of wussing out, but still rough work on the GS anyway. Heck running w/o camp gear would have been a lot easier. I only removed my duffel once ( still had saddle bags)for a bad water crossing. The only one of three that removed gear and the only one that didn't dump too.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
I did the first (Tennessee, MS, AR) section alone, and then the others with a good friend. We didn't take any risks and still had way too much fun . Believe it or not, for the last most Western sections of the TAT I will have a thumper too. Those sections of the TAT are more technical than I think I can master on a loaded DS bike.

With the same rider and gear:
G/S Paris Dakar - 330kg/730lbs (205kg bike wet, 100kg rider + gear, 25kg gear)
DR350 - 255kg/560lbs (130kg+100kg+25kg)

I am also following those minimalist threads ("RTW on a 250") in the thumper forum and like the idea of touring long distance on a KLR250 or DR/XT350.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oh if I can do it on a DRZ fully loaded then I'm sure you won't have a problem. My first experience on sand and bouncing over large (to me) rocks. I could have done the CO passes on the G/S. Not Tomicci which isn't on the new maps though. Your DR350 would be a blast!!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,737
I would do it, and connect that bastardi to the TCanadianT, as well, to get back home OH, to have the time....