User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
liceyscrub OP
ADV rider(mostly solo)

Oddometer: 111
Criaiglist r90 good....or could have major issues

I know this is one of the classic things newbies always do, ask about a bike that they know nothing about, but I will do it anyway. I currently have a 1150gs and am looking for a project to work on and turn into a cafe racer and ran across this bike online the other day. I have been reading a lot of threads here gaining valuable information of airheads and now want to get one to get my hands dirty.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2585863657.html

It has about 75000 on the clock and the guy who has it now has only had it for a couple of months which tells me he may have tried to get it working and saw something very expensive and is trying to unload it...but maybe I am just being pesimistic. The bike rolls when in gear so I assume the engine is not seized. I have basic mechanical skills like doing my own valves and would be fairly comfortable getting down and dirty, not sure if this would be beyond my abilities.

Let me know what you think of this bike. I know the price is a bit high so let me know what you think you would offer or feel confortable paying.
liceyscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
If you don't want the seat I'll buy it from you. .....Al
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by liceyscrub View Post
Let me know what you think of this bike. I know the price is a bit high so let me know what you think you would offer or feel confortable paying.
There are usually no deals when it comes to buying an airhead unless it's a parts bike. A $1200 airhead + $3000 in parts/work = a $3000 airhead. Buy the best one you can afford. Getting a deal on a non-runner will cost a lot more in the long run (usually). Then again, mine was free so what do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liceyscrub View Post
The bike rolls when in gear so I assume the engine is not seized.
That doesn't make any sense. If it rolls freely when in gear (and you aren't pulling the clutch) then something REALLY isn't right. You shouldn't be able to roll it if it's in gear. Get it on the centerstand and pull the plugs out of the cylinders. Make sure it's in gear and try turning the engine over with the rear wheel.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 12:44 PM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post

That doesn't make any sense. If it rolls freely when in gear (and you aren't pulling the clutch) then something REALLY isn't right. You shouldn't be able to roll it if it's in gear. Get it on the centerstand and pull the plugs out of the cylinders. Make sure it's in gear and try turning the engine over with the rear wheel.
+1
a buddy bought an R60 from a salvage yard. we kicked it through in neutral and figured it was not locked up. turned out to be frozen solid and had a slipping clutch it sure felt like it was turning against compression, but the bottom of the clutch was just a bit more rusty, so we was fooled. the rest of it was worse
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,924
I bought an R100S, 1977, cheap. Still have most of the parts but they don't really look any better on shelves than they did when assembled. It's my spare stash. Other than the heavy pieces, engine, trans, rear, swing arm....etc...the rest fits in two bags. Wow you'll have room for almost another bike in the extra 2 bags.
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
Sell off the bags and the seat( I would like to be #2 on that list) and you might be into the bike for 700 or 800. Then it's a good deal
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
amschnellsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Go check it out and see if the motor turns over and check to make sure there is no water ect. in the oil. May not be a bad deal.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,210
If you want something to "cafe" go find and old heap and start with it.

The bike in the ad looks too good to chop up in my opinion.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,013
That looks like a perfect candidate for cafe'ing! Looks pretty rough to me...

It's got some good parts if nothing else, but you are taking a big chance on a non-runner. I've been lucky a few times, and there have been times on bikes that did run I've been fooled. Right now I'm replacing rings on one I thought was fine.

Myself, I don't think I'd pay more than six or seven hundred.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Sell off the bags and the seat( I would like to be #2 on that list) and you might be into the bike for 700 or 800. Then it's a good deal
+1
Your cash will speak to him and I'm confident there will be wiggle room from the asking price which will get it into the do-able range.
It looks to be an early 74, make sure the numbers match and use them when ordering parts. I have an early 74 as well and it has a number of /5 internals.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
airheadDavey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
With that type of mileage and the way it looks, it doesn't look well maintained, there will be issues such as seals, gaskets, and dry rubber. It may look like its not leaking now, but when you start it/ride it for the first time you may get some seeping or maybe a river of fluids.

Believe me...that all happened with mine( A NON-RUNNER) and I paid 2k and another 1500+ in parts to get it road worthy. Not trying to scare you away, but definitly try to get him down.

You can only call it "losing money" if you plan to sell it
airheadDavey is offline   Reply With Quote