User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Mardo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
'72 CL350 Questions Issues

I picked up a '72 CL350 a few months ago that had the new rings put in and had both cylinders honed. Since riding it there have been a few issues that I need some help addressings.

1.) After riding it a few times I noticed that once the bike heated up it tended to stall at idle but does not stall when first fired up.
2.) The oil smelled like gas and I have changed the oil twice and rode around the block and checked the oil and it doesn't smell like gas anymore.
3.) Before I changed the oil and what caused me to check it the crankcase vent tube was smoking and venting smoke that smelled of fuel. I have't rode the bike enough yet to see if the oil changed solved this because I am concerned about doing damage to the engine that will require more work.
4.) I pulled the plugs and they are black on both sides.

Modifications that are done on the bike include foam pod filters and the original CL pipe has a baffle cone muffler on it.

This is my first bike so by no means do I know exactley what I am doing but I figured with a little help and guidence I can get it all figured out.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Mardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,461
Try here. These guys know their stuff...

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Mardo OP
Adventurer

Thanks, I just posted over there too. Any help from the ADV crowed?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
You'll get this 'over there' but ....

Make sure the petcocks work, then make sure the float valves work. That should take care of the gas issue.

Mucking with the air intake on those bikes really upsets the carbs, to the point of rejetting, and it ain't unusual to find mis-matched jets, so you need to pull and verify what jets are in the carbs today before you start tuning. Nice cold idle and funky hot idle does like a tuning issue.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Mardo OP
Adventurer

Thanks for tips. Petcock is fine and does not leak, I took the fuel lines off the carbs and put them in a bucket to test if it leaks and no fuel ran in the bucket overnight. The rejetting is a good point with the pod filters, how do I determine which jets to buy given the addition of the filters and muffler?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
I have no idea what the muffler is contributing to things but it can be easily removed. The guys at HondaTwins can assist in jetting which will depend on where you are at in elevation and whether or not you have stock jets or not.

Did you also get the original air boxes? as they can be rebuilt. A stock 350 will run pretty damned well.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Mardo OP
Adventurer

I did not get the stock filters just the uni pods. Now I wish I got them to see if swapping them back to the original will help.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,181
If the plugs are black, the bike is running rich. The filters could only cause this if they are dirty and impeding air flow.

Running the bike rich can lead to premature wear of the cylinders and rings, maybe why yours needed rings? It will also crud up the valves.

Is the timing set correctly? Have you adjusted the tappets? They should be adjusted every thousand miles. You should adjust the cam chain tensioner at the same time.

If the bike is adjusted properly, the filters are clean, and the carb floats are adjusted properly, and it is still running rich, you need to rejet with smaller jets.

Another potential cause of stalling at idle is improper clutch adjustment. If the clutch is not fully disengaged while stopped and in gear, the slightly engaged clutch can cause enough drag on the engine to stall it, especially if other adjustments, i.e. valves, timing, and carbs, are not quite right.
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."

HamboneSlim screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 01:07 PM Reason: spelt more better
HamboneSlim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Mardo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
If the plugs are black, the bike is running rich. The filters could only cause this if they are dirty and impeding air flow.

Running the bike rich can lead to premature wear of the cylinders and rings, maybe why yours needed rings? It will also crud up the valves.

Is the timing set correctly? Have you adjusted the tappets? They should be adjusted every thousand miles. You should adjust the cam chain tensioner at the same time.

If the bike is adjusted properly, the filters are clean, and the carb floats are adjusted properly, and it is still running rich, you need to rejet with smaller jets.

Another potential cause of stalling at idle is improper clutch adjustment. If the clutch is not fully disengaged while stopped and in gear, the slightly engaged clutch can cause enough drag on the engine to stall it, especially if other adjustments, i.e. valves, timing, and carbs, are not quite right.
Well HamboneSlim that is an overwhelming list of things to check which means I have my work cut out for me. The timing was set correctly not sure about the tappets though. Filters are clean although they are foam pod filters and I am guessing they restrict the airflow more than the stock air filters. I will be checking the float levels this weekend to make sure they are set correctlly.

One question on the clutch, if the clutch is not adjusted correctley wouldn't this problem occur both when the bike is started cold and when its hot? The idleing problem only occurs after the bike is run for a while not when its started cold.

Here are pics of the plugs if this helps at all, plugs are NGK B8ES.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
You're definately too rich! Plugs should be a nice tan to very light brown color. Running too rich costs power, fuel economy, and engine life.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,220
Drop a size on the pilot jet, and the main and see what happens. Pod filters can be hard to jet for as can a after market exhaust not designed specifically for the bike. but there aren't hard to jet because they aren't all too picky. Show pics! Of the bike that is!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Before you put ANY efforts into rejetting for the foam filters, I would tear those things off and chuck them right into the waste basket.

I'm assuming your are running something like this:

I personally prefer to run the K&N pod filters just like inmate Stevel Knievel is doing here:

in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495770

I have never had a good experience with the "foam filters". If they are not properly maintained they can disintegrate and get sucked into your carb. I have had great success running the K&Ns in contrast.

Give us some pictures of the bike. Is it running a stock exhaust?
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote