Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #46
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Took me a while to catch on, but I'm in!
I wondered why I lost about 1000 posts!
Well, look at it this way: we'll have your 1000 post celebration in the WUNDERFEST
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #47
Tbone675
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
where can i find a cheap bar riser? im 6'2" and am hunched over when standing.

lol my post count is back to 1? i know i posted in other threads besides the old 690 thread...
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #48
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,107
SWEET!!!!

I got my Tune ECU update yesterday evening and it is a completely different bike now. A pure joy to ride!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #49
Tbone675
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
SWEET!!!!

I got my Tune ECU update yesterday evening and it is a completely different bike now. A pure joy to ride!
what mods do you have and what map did you choose?
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #50
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post

lol my post count is back to 1? i know i posted in other threads besides the old 690 thread...
Cheap solution here: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...ebar-riser-kit

My Rally Raid solution here: http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...r-scott-ohlins - should be available from KTM Twins in USA
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #51
ABuck99

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Get the suspension back yet? I wanna hear a ride report!
Yes I did get it back and then it sat on my work bench for 10days till I finally got time to reinstall it- and have only ridden it up & down the street to make sure everything was working right. I may head out Monday to ride - will let you know.

Basic details-
It was Javiers level 3 suspension package- then w/ 90nm rear spring for my fat arse, .50 front springs and the travel increased both ends from 250mm to 268mm.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #52
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post

I picked up a set of these, Bar Riser 1-1/8"x30mm. From these guys. http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...13/index.shtml
Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #53
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 723
Another request for advice please. Best place for clutch and brake levers? OEM or alternate brand? Got my 08 690E yesterday . Replaced the grips and fitted the rego plate is all so far. will fit the safari tank and pannier racks this week ready for a ride on the w/e.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #54
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
Suspension

My 2011 R has been twitchy on fast gravel from the word go. When I fitted a toolbag on the tail weighing a couple of Kg's, it deteriorated to a point where my skill levels were not cutting it anymore.

I revisted the rear sag, as that was the only variable which effectively changed. I found that to get in the 70 - 80 mm prescribed sag range, static sag was only about 6mm. Almost 75% of the shock's pre-load is used.

I know that I need a heavier spring.

Q1: KTM optional or Superplush (via KTM Twins). Any other options?

Q2: Will I need to go heavier on the fork springs as well or do they have a higher rate than the shock spring stock? Or should I rather start of with an adjustable pre-load fork top to fine tune the front sag?

Q3: Has anybody got a departure point for static and rider sag for the front? Its not stated in the manual (likely because its not pre-load adjustable as delivered).

Help me tame my ride!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #55
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
My 2011 R has been twitchy on fast gravel from the word go. When I fitted a toolbag on the tail weighing a couple of Kg's, it deteriorated to a point where my skill levels were not cutting it anymore.

I revisted the rear sag, as that was the only variable which effectively changed. I found that to get in the 70 - 80 mm prescribed sag range, static sag was only about 6mm. Almost 75% of the shock's pre-load is used.

Q2: Will I need to go heavier on the fork springs as well or do they have a higher rate than the shock spring stock? Or should I rather start of with an adjustable pre-load fork top to fine tune the front sag?

Q3: Has anybody got a departure point for static and rider sag for the front? Its not stated in the manual (likely because its not pre-load adjustable as delivered).

Help me tame my ride!
The earlier models had adjustable offset cams on the steering stem (I presume the current model has this). The factory setting gives more offset resulting in quicker steering. Reducing the offset increases trail and improves stability at speed. The triple clamp must be disassembled (not difficult) to change the setting. You can check to see if the 11's have the feature by removing the cap over the stem (don't remove the pinch bolt). You should be able to see the top cam and if a dot is in the rear, yours is set at max offset (less trail). You may prefer more trail. Of course, as you note, proper sag affects trail as well.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 07:08 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #56
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
The earlier models had adjustable offset cams on the steering stem (I presume the current model has this). The factory setting gives more offset resulting in quicker steering. Reducing the offset increases trail and improves stability at speed. The triple clamp must be dissambled (not difficult) to change the setting. You can check to see if the 11's have the feature by removing the cap over the stem (don't remove the pinch bolt). You should be able to see the top cam and if a dot is in the rear, yours is set at max offset (less trail). You may prefer more trail. Of course, as you note, proper sag affects trail as well.
DirtJack, Outstanding explanation of the offset/trail adjustability on some 690s. Maybe you could snap a couple of pics and post up to be used in the HOW website. Would probably help some of us non-suspension guys.

Anyway...good stuff for sure, and much appreciated.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #57
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post

Help me tame my ride!
who prescribes 80mm sag? we set ours around 105mm

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #58
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
My turn

My 2009 690r started cutting out along the highway today and finally just outright quit on me. My first KTM troubleshoot along the roadside. Probably not fuel related at fuel pump was priming, a good shot of fuel came out near the injector, and the injector was giving a good spray. Had a spare injector so threw it on and made no difference. Checked a lot of electrical stuff and found no obvious fault. Eventually bike started running again so made it about 40 easy miles before it started trying to die again but would catch and keep running until it eventually died again on city streets. Pulled stuff off again, got it going, rode 2 ft and died again. Pulled stuff off AGAIN and started wiggling wires while I tried to start it. Seems to be related to something in or around the big wiring bundle slightly to the front and right and below the spark plug. I started wiggling that and the bike would try and start then die as I moved it. It finally started for good and after that when I moved the bundle it had no effect. Bike ran fine the 10 miles left to home. Time to strip the bike and see if I can find the exact problem.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #59
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

My 2009 690r started cutting out along the highway today and finally just outright quit on me. My first KTM troubleshoot along the roadside. Probably not fuel related at fuel pump was priming, a good shot of fuel came out near the injector, and the injector was giving a good spray. Had a spare injector so threw it on and made no difference. Checked a lot of electrical stuff and found no obvious fault. Eventually bike started running again so made it about 40 easy miles before it started trying to die again but would catch and keep running until it eventually died again on city streets. Pulled stuff off again, got it going, rode 2 ft and died again. Pulled stuff off AGAIN and started wiggling wires while I tried to start it. Seems to be related to something in or around the big wiring bundle slightly to the front and right and below the spark plug. I started wiggling that and the bike would try and start then die as I moved it. It finally started for good and after that when I moved the bundle it had no effect. Bike ran fine the 10 miles left to home. Time to strip the bike and see if I can find the exact problem.
Some of your experiences sound a bit like mine, particularly the part about the bike seeming to fix itself. See:
my FI issues. I don't know if I really have it fixed because of the intermittent nature of the problem. I'm still not sure I can trust her to get me back if I go out by myself.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #60
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Some of your experiences sound a bit like mine, particularly the part about the bike seeming to fix itself. See:
my FI issues. I don't know if I really have it fixed because of the intermittent nature of the problem. I'm still not sure I can trust her to get me back if I go out by myself.
Maybe similar but the fuel pump was pressurizing every time and it seems like moving that wiring loom around had a direct effect....maybe! I know the feeling of not knowing exactly what it might be. I may buy one of those aftermarket pumps just to cover the bases. For now the bike is parked and I will have a look next weekend.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote