Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #46
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Forgot to mention - my bike is ABS equipped. I have ABS rings on each wheel in 2 sets - 19/17 for road and a 21/18 for off. ABS works with both wheel sets without any issues. I regular switch between both wheel sets - no ABS issues.

Looks to me like Schnitzer is running a 17" front with ABS. Someone interested in this setup could shoot them an email and ask directly.
Do you have any issues with the speedometer when changing front wheel size?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #47
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo View Post
Do you have any issues with the speedometer when changing front wheel size?
Issues? Do you mean is it accurate between the two wheel sizes? I have no idea. I usually don't look unless I'm cruising and then I look at the GPS because I'm concerned about my route and eta. Regardless of which wheels I'm running I anticipate that what I'm looking at on the speedometer isn't very accurate.

Does someone on here know where the speedo pickup is? Is it even on a wheel? Front or rear?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #48
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Front what i have concluded it can use either abs sensor for speedo. The Non-Abs models have and abs sensor on the rear wheel only. I have broken my rear wheel abs sensor, and my speedo still works.

So i guess it can use both or either.

But it has no way of knowing what the diameter of the tires are, so I'm guessing it would be inaccurate.

Ryan
Old 08-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #49
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got the wheel yesterday and mounted it straight away. No issues with the install apart from me being a moron not checking if there was any air in the new wheel.. Which it wasn't. That sorted I took her out for a ride, 2 up as the gf wanted to tag along, and first impressions are "WOW"!

A+
Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #50
nutter_on_the_bus
Who? Me?

Oddometer: 8
Just got mine

Steffo

What are you doing with the front mudguard? I was thinking of modifying the original to fit the reduced size but have been looking at other big SMs like the Dorsodoro and Duke and changing one of those.

Also what tyres have you fitted? My wheel has just turned up so but it'll be next weekend before fitting etc
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #51
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_on_the_bus View Post
Steffo

What are you doing with the front mudguard? I was thinking of modifying the original to fit the reduced size but have been looking at other big SMs like the Dorsodoro and Duke and changing one of those.

Also what tyres have you fitted? My wheel has just turned up so but it'll be next weekend before fitting etc
As of now I have no mudguard but I'm looking for one that might fit. I know that AC Schnitzer did a 800GS Supermoto with a low mudguard but I haven't been able to find where they got it from.

Front tyre is Bridgestone Battlax BT015 and stock rear.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #52
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what the GS looks like at the moment:
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #53
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo View Post
As of now I have no mudguard but I'm looking for one that might fit. I know that AC Schnitzer did a 800GS Supermoto with a low mudguard but I haven't been able to find where they got it from.
There's the Wunderlich one....

http://www.rainbowbmw.com/wshop/inde...roduct_id=1378

Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:41 AM   #54
nutter_on_the_bus
Who? Me?

Fun!

Now I have the front fitted and a pair of Conti roadattack 2s fitted the handling has gone from good to excellent. Just got to go and find some sports bikes on the twisties around here now

Still need to source a front mudguard as the Wunderlich is a tad expensive The AC one looks like a mod from another bike so EBay here I come.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #55
Steffo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_on_the_bus View Post
Now I have the front fitted and a pair of Conti roadattack 2s fitted the handling has gone from good to excellent. Just got to go and find some sports bikes on the twisties around here now

Still need to source a front mudguard as the Wunderlich is a tad expensive The AC one looks like a mod from another bike so EBay here I come.
If you find a suitable one, do tell. :)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #56
nutter_on_the_bus
Who? Me?

Mudguard

After looking at the Wunderlich one I realised it was from a newer KTM 690 Duke so went looking on Ebay and found a cheap Duke 2 mudguard in orange. First fit looks OK and rides good. Just need to replace all the fasteners and tidy up the mounting plates now

Attached Images

Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #57
nutter_on_the_bus
Who? Me?

another shot

Just a shame its not yellow (yet!)
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #58
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
One or two naysayers in here.... Should I tell you about riding around the outside of a GSXR1000 on a trackday on my R1200GS?

Like the whitham_wannabe above said, an F800GS on 17" wheels and sticky rubber would just be a giant supermoto and we know how much they piss off sports bike riders on track days. The 800 would also lean forever. I think it'd be a barrel of laughs.

AC Schnitzer displayed a SM'd F800GS at European Motorcycle Shows when the bike was first released.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-f-800-gs.html
Now that's a BMW!
So many 'supermoto' haters on here,once you go 17",you'll hate 21" like me.It'll improve handling
on the road immensely,your hooligan factor goes up 10 fold!(try find the two French guys on supermotos
on Youtube.....mental!).
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #59
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I wasn't going to read all posts as it's 3am,i just happened to noticed that GS800,but after
some of the crap i've read i had to-things like extending forks.....ehhhhh!!!
By dropping the front 2"(plus tyre difference,60/70 profile) from a 21" wheel to a 17",not 4"
from the spindle,it only sharpens up the steering at the lost of some high speed stability
(steering damper time),and anyway,you've lost some height off the rear just by changing
from a trail based tyre.Nothing more demonstrated this when British rider,Chris Walker was
racing Kawasaki ZX7RR's,you'd to jack up the back end skywards on those things to get
them to turn!
Same with ABS.An ABS system lets off the brakes when the 'ring' stops moving,doesnt
matter what size of rim that's on there.
I get the same crap on here about taking a supermoto to Sth American...."Oh,you never
get there on that,the wheels will be too soft".....clueless!A 17" wheel is STRONGER than
a 21",the spokes are shorter and closer together,yes you dont have a big 'bouncy' tyre to
absorb some of the holes on the road,but the wheel is stronger!(Plenty overlaiden big bikes
like KTM 990's are running the same size rim/tyre size as a supermoto on the rear,but
somehow it's alright for them and not the likes of a DR650 Suzuki......the mind boggles!
Same with matching tyres.Maybe on some road bikes/track bikes,but running two different
tyres on a supermoto isn't as bad.I'm running an Avon Distanzia on the front,a Shinko on
the rear with a similar tread pattern,not all the roads will be 'metalled',it aint gonna make
a difference,in fact,it'll have more grip than some trail based tyres on a decent road!
We'll not even go near DOT5 brake fluid,got a feeling some people may have a coronary!
Far too many people never think outside the box or logically.
Finally.Back to sizes.For supermoto racing,not only do you put on a smaller wheel,you chop
you forks down 2" as well as lowering the back end a bit,the difference between a supermoto
and a moto-x bike!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #60
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Now that's a BMW!
So many 'supermoto' haters on here,once you go 17",you'll hate 21" like me.It'll improve handling
on the road immensely,your hooligan factor goes up 10 fold!(try find the two French guys on supermotos
on Youtube.....mental!).
I recently sold my F650GS twin and bought a 950 supermoto. Never had so much fun on the street! Hasn't slowed me down much on dirt roads as much as I had expected either.

Yesterday I rode the F800GS for the first time.. I was really surprised by how much effort it took to turn............... and with street rubber. Yes, the 21" wheel has advantages offroad, but it almost ruins all the fun when the road turns twisty. I think a 19" front is a good compromise for big adventure bikes like the F8. My F650GS handled so much better in the curves than the F800. It was a huge difference in handling. I guess it all depends on what your focus is and where you are willing to compromise.