User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #31
Happyhenry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
TT Bracket, Mount and Garmin 2820

My set up is very similar to BobbyC's at post 10 above. Used the TT bracket and the TT lockable cradle for my 2820.

I've hard-wired the power to the switchable supply and the audio (in and out) to an Autocom unit in the cubby hole between the tanks. Cut a small recess in the screen-side edge of the dash to pass the cables through - they have too many plugs and adaptors to pass through a drilled hole. Looks neat enough though.

This is the third bike (previously a GS then a GS Adv) this 2820 and Autocom has been on with differing mounting solutions each time. The only downside is that the TT bracketry and cradle looks monumentally fugly on the 990 - especially when the GPS isn't mounted.
Happyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #32
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever
Im about to do the install on this. I went through the kit to familiarize and noticed, I didnt recieve the rubber slugs for the dash mount. Can anyone tell me the rough height of these. I will go to the hardware/parts store and see what I can get to glue on to the bracket.

Also, for those that hard wired your gps into one of the ACC plugs, where did you line your cable through? I want a clean efficient looking set up. I have thought about just drilling a third hole to line the power line through to wire in. Any thoughts?

When you mount the TT bracket, you have to cut some holes in the dash plastic piece- I slid the Garmin power lead through one of those necessary holes during the mounting of the bracket. Fit fine as long as everything wasn't tightened up first (damhik) and looks clean as can be tucked behind the GPS outa sight.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #33
unbeliever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Sweet. Im stoked, I was thinking about running through the hole/holes I have to drill anyway.

I have to go get my rubber legs for the bracket that didnt come with it. Damn.
unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #34
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
They make two kinds- one with "donuts" made of foam, and one with simple hard rubber spacers. Mine doesn't have the donuts- works fine.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #35
unbeliever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Yeah my kit didnt come with anything. I have to go to the parts store tonight and see what I can find to glue on the bottom. Oh I know we talked about wiring, I decided to use the aux. plug on the dash for the gps. The grips I will hard wire in.
unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #36
209ninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I am purchasing a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure and wondered if the cig lighter adapter jack was standard on the bike. If not which part was it wired into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80JIM
Poor mans mount. Used the factory plastic snap in mount for the 276c and just built a mount for it to bolt into. Has worked out great. Sorry not the best pictures of the mount behind it.

2008, KTM, 990, Adventure, Current
2008, Kawasaki, Ninja, ZX-10 Current
2005, KTM, 950, Adventure, For Sale
2003, KTM, 625, SXC, Sold
Pics: http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/209ninja/

SierraNevadaAdventures.com Member

http://www.sierranevadaadventures.com
209ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
LakeFeesch
Slow (Old's racing buddy)

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209ninja
I am purchasing a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure and wondered if the cig lighter adapter jack was standard on the bike. If not which part was it wired into?

The power jack on the 2007 in the upper right corner of the dash is stock. It is the BMW style, not a typical "cig lighter" adapter. I have a 2007 990 Adventure S. My buddy's 2010 990 Adventure R has a "cig lighter" adapter stock on the dash.
LakeFeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
Since this thread got resurrected, I might as well show my mount. I had to cut the black piece with the slots so that I could set that little bar up a bit higher and out of the way of my instruments. I didn't really have time to properly hide the wiring. At some point I'll hook the wires up to the Acc2 fuse rather than plugging it into the "lighter" socket.

This photo was taken the day after I cut down the windscreen - it needs a little more finishing of the edges.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #39
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Sorry for slight change in thread, but am considering a Zumo and wanted to know how you got on with it.Have 2610 at present but it is getting tired!
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 708
My simple - no holes - mount is a RAM ball mount that was designed for double side tape mount. I converted it to velcro mount and added velcro tabs on all 4 corrners of the GPS. With all 4 corrners attached it is rock solid off road. It comes off is seconds to wash the bike.

04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #41
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Dash Mount bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
My simple - no holes - mount is a RAM ball mount that was designed for double side tape mount. I converted it to velcro mount and added velcro tabs on all 4 corrners of the GPS. With all 4 corrners attached it is rock solid off road. It comes off is seconds to wash the bike.

slick. I like that.

where you source the Velcro dots you trust so much?

in the case of the post of the two-bolt RAM base, do to the pressures exerted by the cantilevered GPS unit & mount wouldn't it be better to have the bracket 90 degrees to be in line with the bike?

with all that plastic webbing cast underneath the dash top, it seems the factory had intended stuff bolt on up there- seems careful hole selction could handle a big Zumo/Nuvi.

I do like the idea of Doug R's bracket for going nuclear-proof- I assume that was part of TouraTech's kit?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doug View Post

Next was the dash side part of the bracket.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #42
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
I do like the idea of Doug R's bracket for going nuclear-proof- I assume that was part of TouraTech's kit?:
That is part of the TouraTech kit.

What I like about the TouraTech mount for the big KTM is that I can lock my Zumo 550 in place and don't need to worry about taking it with me when I park the bike or about someone stealing it. And it is designed to deal well with vibration from off-road riding.

I've finally been able to use my Zumo to follow dirt roads on a pre-defined route and it works quite well for that, as long as you stay on course. It's still easily confused if you deviate much from the course it thinks you're supposed to be on, but at least resetting it to use the course as a "new" course works most of the time.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #43
fencing5051
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thumbs down gps mount

my touatech mount that bolts to the bike lasted 12 mouths before breaking in half
fencing5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #44
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
Could you send a photo?

I am about to buy one bracket from touratech. Could you show us the broken part?
Thnx
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #45
Xanadu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
If you want a permanent solid mounted solution check out this techmount sold by Adam at Rocketmoto. Four small holes to through bolt it and your done. Solid as a rock. I have the handlebar mount for my Zumo and love it. It's a nice solid well designed and well built piece. And inexpensive compared to the TT and others at $69.

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...unt-black.html
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote