User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #31
Xanadu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
That leads me to believe that no one with a 990 wants to consider that they threw $10K+ in the toilet.
I blew 10 grand on coke and hookers in Vegas once. I get to dry hump and get a rush riding my 950 Adventure every day.

It's worth the PITA oil change!
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #32
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex View Post
. That leads me to believe that no one with a 990 wants to consider that they threw $10K+ in the toilet.
wow, what a complete douche you are. Anyway i'd get the triumph before that beemer anyday just cuz it seems like one boring bike in comparison, but of course a 990r would be first choice because of power, suspension and the quality of components.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #33
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,650
I can't speak to the F800 since I've never ridden one, but I just got back from Colorado and Utah on my 2011 990 and I will readily admit that the throttle does seem a little snatchy at low speeds. However, it didn't keep me from being able to adjust and ride the thing slowly through obstacles, switchbacks, rough terrain and sand.

Heavy? Yes, it's pretty heavy, but not impossible for me to pick up; I would say that any bike that weighs over 350-400 pounds is pretty heavy.

I've only changed the oil once and it wasn't so bad. Like another poster said, it's probably not a bad idea to give the bike a good once over at least once a year, plus, it gives me a reason to putz around in the garage and drink beer.

The fuel mileage does suck. I find myself filling up every chance I get for fear of running out of go juice.

I've done several mods already: Scott's steering damper, sidestand relo, skid plate, longer, wider footpegs and Wolfman racks to name a few. I'm thinking about tubeless wheels, fiddling with the windscreen, adding lights and doing a cooling fan mod. I am not sure if I am having cooling system issues or not, but my bike did overheat a couple of times out west.

I am sure the list of bikes I have owned is pretty short compared to some of you, but in the short time I have owned the 990, I have come to love her deeply!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
I'm thinking about tubeless wheels, fiddling with the windscreen, adding lights and doing a cooling fan mod. I am not sure if I am having cooling system issues or not, but my bike did overheat a couple of times out west.

>> the short time I have owned the 990, I have come to love her deeply!
As a long term LC8 owner, I think you are just a rank sucker... Your bike never overheated and you didn't need any of those mods. But the biggest signal to your noobness to the sport is that you think you need tubeless wheels. We pay extra for those spokes and tubes! You have never been anywhere remote with a flat in your life. There is a very good reason for using tubes if you are out of reach. You should learn how to spoon rubber like all the rest of us did. The inner tube is your friend. It's not too late to make amends, though:

Neduro has a step-by-step lesson here on how to spoon with no fuss and 100% success not pinching. It's not challenging and even easy with practice. Try it!

Regarding the word 'love', it only applies to Eyetalian motorcycles. Those bastards on Austria sorely lack in the romance part of the sport...

Although I might be a little bit warmed by that road racer they make. DANG!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #35
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Once again, I am quite familiar with what a KTM twin delivers since I have had one for almost 7 years.

I rode a KTM 990 SM-T for a hundred miles, and I found it highly refined compared to mine. The motor was silk smooth and didn't notice any fueling issues. I am hoping the Adventure has a similarly tuned motor.

Oil changes aren't hard and the plastics come off quickly. My 950 has never left me stranded, so I consider it reasonably reliable.

I like the BMW, though, because it has the right wheelset for me and its a little smaller. Also, it's different. If the suspension is softer than my KTM, it may be too soft, but I will be using the bike for travelling, not single track. I have a Yam 250 for more technical riding.

I'll try and get a couple test rides lined up. Thanks again.

PS: I know what the OC folks will post, because I participate there from time to time. I came here because you ride 800's and I want your first hand opinion.
I like the F8, not to get into a debate, but if you are looking to travel two up with luggage, The KTMís engine and handling is superior, anyone who argues with this, you havenít ridden both in this mode .
Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #36
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Nah - KTM dealers anymore have the tools and training to tune LC8's. Seriously, the 2010 LC8's are sweet running motors. Like I said, I rode a SM-T for 100 miles. I was so nice I couldn't believe it was made by the same company as my 950.

I read about the throttle snatch of the early 990's, but the 2010 I rode was probably the nicest running twin I've ever ridden. Very friendly power delivery and no vibes at all. Very quiet with no rattling from its whirly bits.

How about that parallel twin? My son say's he wouldn't own a para twin, but I have to think that ROTAX got theirs right. Mid 80 HP seems a nice benchmark for long distance riding. Is it smooth? Where does the torque come on. 3000rpm like a Ducati or 4000rpm like an LC8?

Thanks again for your opinions.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #37
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,301
Just look at the brand philosophy...

It makes more sense when you compare the different brands rather then their bikes. BMW is more about appealing to the masses. If you like things smooth, easy and dependable and identify that with that in mass... then that pretty much describes the target of the BMW brand.

If you want to feel the thrill of racing, and are willing to pay for it, then you are the demographic of KTM.

If you are buying a product from a very small niche company like KTM, there is always the chance that things haven't been completely worked out over the course of a small production run. That's common sense. They do the best they can with the resources available. They test their products out during major racing events like the Dakar Rally. Of course their racers didn't get to test the FI systems, the bikes were outlawed from the race because they were unbeatable.

KTM's are designed on racing platforms. BMW's are designed with logic and sensibility as a priority.

Personally, I have more of an appreciation for the risk involved in racing technology. I love the look and feel of the 950 motor. I enjoy it when I'm doing the maintenance. The bike has a hand crafted, solid and robust feel to it. The design is clever, but you have to have a certain kind of interest in mechanics to enjoy it's build. The front end with the addition of a damper is a wonderful display of design and execution. That front end will work wonderfully as the bones on ANY motorcycle, a subtle design that's ahead of it's time.

A heavy bike? I consider it more of a strong bike, with just the right amount of frame to handle a good ole dune thrashing. Any lighter weight and the strength would have to come out of the frame and swing arm, which would create definite weak points.

Why a 475 lb. dirt bike? Because for those who like to ride long distances, the power far exceeds the desire for lightness. It's based on the fact that speed reduces the feel of weight. Keep the bike moving and that's where it's nimbleness reveals itself best.

Fuel economy? It's the sacrifice of your commitment to performance. More performance means more sacrifice. From a motorcycle manufacturer's perspective, a commitment to performance requires certain sacrifices in sensibility. Race design is not trying to appeal to the sensible person, but the one who has a passion for it.

Now keep in mind that the KTM 990 is still based on a 10 year old platform, which in today's terms is quite old. The fact that it's in the same conversation with the much newer f800 and 800 Triumph dual sport says a lot. The KTM was ahead of it's time. And the f8 and Triumph should have been able to impress all of us a lot more with their initial debuts.

My 10 year old 950 still kicks ass on those other bikes. I would love to see a bike that out performs, out designs and outdates my KTM 950 as a long distance dual sport Adventure tourer. But it looks like the only companies capable of doing so are KTM itself, possibly Aprilia or perhaps Ducati... with a slim chance BMW gets their Husky race division involved. Those companies have like minded philosophies.

As far as the Japanese manufacturers go, they are having to redefine themselves after overreaching expansion, bad global economies and a recent devastating disaster. In other words, don't expect much for the future from them.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 04:21 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #38
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Just curious as of how they treated your thread on the OC forum..........as many 990 owners seems to have been drawn to this deep dark parallel universe.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #39
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Just curious as of how they treated your thread on the OC forum..........as many 990 owners seems to have been drawn to this deep dark parallel universe.......

Erling
KTM riders are obsessed and one eyed, but at least they are "real" man!

I don't really want to join their cult but I do respect their commitment .

No doubt they find it boring and uncomfortable at the same time over here ... but a change is good for you. I think we should welcome them as long as they are civil and appreciate a good latte.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I think we should welcome them as long as they are civil and appreciate a good latte.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #41
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,518
apparently they do enjoy latte!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #42
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

No doubt they find it boring and uncomfortable at the same time over here ... but a change is good for you. I think we should welcome them as long as they are civil and appreciate a good latte.
A lot of the guys from OC perspectives are from a dirt background. I had my heart set on an HP2 E, I still yearn, and then some arshole lent me his KTM, I went to the dealer and test rode the SE. I've had a F800 living in my garage, worked on and so on. I really like em, cracking all purpose bike, but if you grew up spitting dirt from your fissog, you get the KTMís characteristics.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #43
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yeppers.........This was to be expected when you play out two rasta`s like that.... It is how ever amusing to read......
I`m good with it.....

Erling
Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #44
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
apparently they do enjoy latte!

ALIEN vs PREDATOR............ Alright....Shutting up....

Erling
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #45
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,154
Hey Griz ...

Glad to see you are still with us!