Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #46
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex View Post
I've ridden both a lot (back to back to back) and I own an F800GS which I bought before the comparisons - never really considered a 990 because I just don't like the looks.
Wait what? Oh really.

Quote:
I really want to like this bike, and like I said I have ridden a fair number of them. (BTW, I own four KTM's so I am not biased against the breed.) I have a bunch of friends in Chile and they all ride the 990 or 950.
About KTM 990.

Quote:
Nope. No trolling here. If it ran right off of idle I would have bought one long ago.
Again about the 990.

Quote:
Plus that, I think the 990/950 (especially 990S) looks killer, and yes it does leave the F8GS/R12GS for dead just about everywhere.

And yes, I can understand how folks feel about someone commenting on a bike that do not actually own. The only reason I was over here was that the 990S is the leading candidate for my next bike,...
Wait I thought you didn't like the looks.

Quote:
It is inevitable. Arrrrggghhhh.... Maybe Ami will stop making fun of me?

BillyD is a superb forensic mechanic. He has vowed to get his 990S sorted. As soon as he does I'll probably pull the trigger. I just love the looks and feel of the bike.
But I thought you didn't like the looks.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #47
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Only 1 hour and that is the first one-then once a year, yes the book says pull the screens every oil change but most people do not-they never have anything in them, for a couple bucks you put a valve and line on your oil tank and thus your oil changes for the most part are nearly as fast (within minutes) as a F8.
So, you're saying that only doing part of the KTM's recommended oil change procedure is "nearly as fast as" doing all of BMW's recommended oil change procedure???

that doesn't seem like a logical way to compare bikes.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #48
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
I thought of something else. I hated the dish in the stock seats of both my 950 and then my F800. The 950 was an even worse torture device. But, that doesn't really matter because both are easily "fixable" to whatever you like. Its only money!

However, there has been a significant difference for me in the "endurance" department. For some reason, I can ride my F800 all day long for multiple days, in reasonable comfort. The (modified) ergonomics work fairly well for me. I never could seem to get long-term comfortable on my 950. I needed more frequent pitstops on the 950. Man, I can really rack up some miles on the F800 before feeling fatigue. Just the way it is.

I did a 3,000 mile trip this past July over 11 days. 3 days were spent hiking on the Appalachian Trail. So, 8 days were in the saddle....in terrrible heat, I might add. But, I honestly could have kept on going if I had the time (no lack of desire).

During this trip, I formed my own new opinion.....my thoughts on the passing scene. I actually got tired...very tired....of waving at other riders. So much so, that I just quit waving. When you go so far, for so many days, through areas (like TN to VA) with lots of riders....it kind of becomes annoying.

That's when it hit me like a slap in the face: BMW riders aren't snobs, they just ride farther and more often than everyone else. Revelation was something you always knew, just never realized. Yeah...it was a kind of like that.

I don't mean this sarcastically. And yes, its a bit rhetorical. But this is a true story about a true moment of insight, and its how I felt. That's one of the differences in the F800 vs. 950 for me. I'm riding the F800 farther and farther, for more consecutive days, than I've ever ridden anything else. Just am. Interesting. Must mean something.

HF

p.s. The parallel twin motor is an old, reliable, standard....nothing new. It looks very similar to the parallel twin on some old Yamahas (500+?) from the 70's or 80's...?? I wish I could remember the model. But, I swear I've seen a motor like this before.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #49
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
Hey Griz ...

Glad to see you are still with us!
Been riding and maintaining trails with the G450X almost every weekend this Summer. It's been a blast! It's been keeping me off the ADV grid.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #50
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
So, you're saying that only doing part of the KTM's recommended oil change procedure is "nearly as fast as" doing all of BMW's recommended oil change procedure???

that doesn't seem like a logical way to compare bikes.
Yes thats what I said. Have you changed oil on both? If you have pulled screens a few times and found nothing you may do the same, maybe not, but most do. Sorry if you dont think thats comparable but I was comparing my two bikes the way I do the oil changes and I consider both of them to be a complete oil change. I would suspect a lot of people dont continue to lube cables, or check valves, or battery levels at the recommended intervals if they find these things dont need to be done at the interval the manufacturer deems necessary. Remember that they are protecting themselves above and beyond what may really be necessary.
But then again you may be more "logical" then I am.
And for crying out loud, I was addressing the OP and closed out by saying "Clearly you owe it to yourself to ride both- think about where you ride or want to ride. And choose what you feel suites you the best-then you made the right decision no matter what I or any one else says." Is that logical enough ?
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #51
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
These threads always degenerate into flinging poo.

Cant we all just get along?

Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #52
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Definition of a snob is...

[Quote]:Originally Posted by HighFive
BMW riders aren't snobs, they just ride farther and more often than everyone else.[Quote]:

Perhaps evident why "we can't all get along."
Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #53
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Lighten up Francis.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #54
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
I am probably going to buy an 800. HighFive makes strong argument for endurance, but my typical rides are 400-700 miles per day over several days. The last one was from Phoenix to Roanok to Boston in 4 days. The one before that was Seattle/Canol Roads/Fairbanks/Valdez/Anchorage and back. 7500 miles in 13 days. So the KTM isn't that bad doing 14 hour days as long as I wear compression undershorts.

Also, the oil change just isn't that hard. The fairings come off with 5 screws per side. The fuel tanks have 2 per side I believe, plus the bottom anchor on each side. The fuel hose is a bit fiddly, but it doesn't take much time to do a change.

What appeals to me most about the BMW is that it is a little smaller, has good ergo's for the long trail, gets more range with less fuel (read weight), and there are plenty dealers to service it on my long trips.

While it may not have the suspension capability of the KTM, I can't believe its not up to fire roading, which is all I do with my KTM.

My friends ride KLR's though...maybe I just bag it and buy one of those:

Thanks again. Meanwhile, I'm going on my first wr2r ride. It is waiting for me in Salt Lake. Doing the CDR on my tiddler staring Monday!

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #55
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
[QUOTE=DesertSurfer;16851643][Quote]:Originally Posted by HighFive
BMW riders aren't snobs, they just ride farther and more often than everyone else.
Quote:
:

Perhaps evident why "we can't all get along."
Geeez.....I said I didn't mean it "sarcastically" and it was a bit "rhetorical". But you can take it out of context with Cut & Paste, if you want. I stand by what I said....ALL of it.

I rode a KLR for many years, so I wasn't in with this Beamer crowd. Honestly, had no aspirations to own one...per se. Owned many other types of bikes and brands, many simultaneously.

Began attending a few BMW rallies as a vendor. Became impressed with this group. I observed a quality bunch of friendly people, who nearly all "camped" off their bikes.....didn't motel it. And they rode like crazy....racking up ridiculous quantities of miles. It was noted, with respect....considered that maybe there was something that I didn't know.

Had the opportunity to take my first ever demo ride on the F800 many moons later. Fell in love with how the bike handled, and the engine ran. Some "dislikes" that I knew I could fix. Purchased that very demo bike on the spot. Been thrilled ever since.....although, as I've clearly said, I've invested a LOT of money to bring it up to my own personal specs (which are fairly demanding). Don't say I've not warned you.

Yes, it will eat up fire roads, and then some, all day long in stock form. Its actually more capable in stock form than most people realize. I put mine thru some mean, nasty trails while stock. But, the front end dive is simply terrible and has to be dealt with. Fix that, and the seat comfort/ergos to your liking, add an Accelerator plug-in, and you're likely to be quite happy with it.

I don't care what you like or what you ride. Just telling you how it works for me. I'm 5' 9" and about 180 lbs. I like a tall seat height, and don't need to paddle my feet on the ground. Some day, I'll likely own something else....who cares!

I like bikes....all of them. I'll take all your tired and weary machines. Send me the ones you don't like. I'll give them refuge and a nice retirement home.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #56
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
[QUOTE=HighFive;16852883][QUOTE=DesertSurfer;16851643]
Quote:
:Originally Posted by HighFive
BMW riders aren't snobs, they just ride farther and more often than everyone else.

I don't care what you like or what you ride. Just telling you how it works for me. I'm 5' 9" and about 180 lbs. I like a tall seat height, and don't need to paddle my feet on the ground. Some day, I'll likely own something else....who cares!

I like bikes....all of them. I'll take all your tired and weary machines. Send me the ones you don't like. I'll give them refuge and a nice retirement home.

HF
Well, that's exactly what I was askin' for. I'm also 5'9, but 195. I am inclined for more length seat to pegs too, so I prolly keep the seat taller. In fact, the one gripe I really have with the KTM Adventure, is it is remarkably short between pegs and seat. The KTM SM-T was very comfy, but that bike doesn't really need ground clearance.

Anyways, I am looking forward to testing this little BMW. I hope it has decent weather protection too. It looks like it should. My guess is this will be the last touring motorcycle I buy, so I want it to be right for me.

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for your posts on the little yammer too.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #57
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
[QUOTE=Pantah;16853127][QUOTE=HighFive;16852883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for your posts on the little yammer too.
Well you better get the BMW ... you are too polite and nice to hang out in Orange Crush!

(just kidding guys ... really!)

You could always compromise and get the orange GS ... I hate to admit this, but it does look really good in "that" colour.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #58
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
HF

p.s. The parallel twin motor is an old, reliable, standard....nothing new. It looks very similar to the parallel twin on some old Yamahas (500+?) from the 70's or 80's...?? I wish I could remember the model. But, I swear I've seen a motor like this before.
yamaha tdm 800.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #59
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Oh, I get it... a Wannabeemer

Quote:
:Originally Posted by HighFive

I stand by what I said....ALL of it.

I don't care what you like or what you ride. Just telling you how it works for me....who cares!

I rode a KLR for many years, so I wasn't in with this Beamer crowd.

Look, I get that BMW as a motorcycle stood for the highest quality standard set by a manufacturer in it's time. And that for many, many years, the motorcycle buying public who aspired to that level of quality wanted to be associated with the label of BMW. And a lot of long range adventure tourers owe some respect to the niche BMW helped define with the GSPD and beyond... just like how Honda paved the way with the Africa Twin and Transalp, and Ducati with the Elephant, Kawasaki with it's Tengai 650, etc, etc, etc.

But times are a changin... my friends.

Individual bikes are better suited for individual riders... I would never "recommend" a KTM 990 to a novice, nor would I recommend it to the vertically challenged or to the lighter side of strength and stature. Just as I'm sure other bikes are nuanced toward or against their owners/ riders.

Which simply means, what works perfectly for one person, doesn't always translate to others as a whole. I'm of a unique body type where I'm tall enough to handle the inseam for a 950 S and yet low enough to elude the "said" wind screen buffeting. In other words, it's not for everyone.

That's where the beauty of diversity in the market comes into play. With the growing number of proficient manufacturers, there stands a better chance of a perfect fit, a perfect bike for "everyone."

And with that thought in mind, thank god there is not just "one" motorcycle company out there where it's tribe of followers attempt to pressure all others into falling into the trap of a one size fits all world.

Brand philosophy is one thing... however, product exclusivity is a completely different thing... bordering on Marxism.

Best we just learn to agree to disagree, while appreciating the freedom of competition, freedom of choice... and freedom of f**king speech... you wannabeemer f**kers...
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #60
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post

That's where the beauty of diversity in the market comes into play. With the growing number of proficient manufacturers, there stands a better chance of a perfect fit, a perfect bike for "everyone."

And with that thought in mind, thank god there is not just "one" motorcycle company out there where it's tribe of followers attempt to pressure all others into falling into the trap of a one size fits all world.

Brand philosophy is one thing... however, product exclusivity is a completely different thing... bordering on Marxism.

Best we just learn to agree to disagree, while appreciating the freedom of competition, freedom of choice... and freedom of f**king speech... you wannabeemer f**kers...
And whilst most of thou fellow riders will agree with your first part...... it is the latter that shall not suffice as good
Intentions, and therefourth should be stricken..... Since it has no merit... And to such extend serves no purpose....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote