Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #61
drsmiley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
Got the 705's all mounted up today. Got both tires and two tubes from motorcycle superstore for under $150, a few different wheel weights (clamp on style) for $9, and a wheel balancer from harbor freight for $50. The rear tube I purchased had what looked like a staple hole next to the valve stem, so I had to re use my old tube. No big deal, but I better get another tube from motorcycle superstore or I'll be a little irritated.

From getting the bike on the lift to taking it off the lift with everything back on, it took me two hours per tire to swap them out. (I had to change them separately due to front and rear tires shipping differently.) This being my first time changing tires on a motorcycle. All I had were two tire irons, a big c clamp, and a full bottle of windex. (Now only half a bottle of windex) I had several issues trying to get the bead(s) seated on the front tire, but I finally got it to seat properly. The rest of the time it was just trying to get the tires on and off the wheel. The answer is a lot of windex, tiny bites with the tire irons, quite a few expletives, and body weight. (The last of which I don't have a lot of)

It was a pain in my to swap these things out, definitely not something I want to do all the time without some kind of tire machine and the proper tools.

Regardless, Both tires are mounted and balanced. Took it for a test ride and all seems well. I'll have to do some more riding to get a better feel for the tires, but now the bike is more stable at high speeds, and doesn't roar down the road. (I think I might miss the roar every now and then)
I think these tires should work just fine. I sure hope I become impressed with them offroad, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.
Hey, what area of N. Ga. do you live in? I live in Atlanta, but go up to N. Ga. riding quite abit, we"ll have to get together and ride sometime. I have 2 sets of wheels and thinking about putting the 705's for street, I have d606 and TKC 80 on my other set. Steve
drsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #62
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
I'm actually closer to lawrenceville than I am north ga. I'm almost right off 316.

I haven't had the chance to do any off roading, I just got my dr about a month ago. Hit me up next time you're heading out, I'd love to tag along.
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #63
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley View Post
I have 2 sets of wheels and thinking about putting the 705's for street, I have d606 and TKC 80 on my other set. Steve
That's what I did.
Hardly ever use the knobbly set though
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #64
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Took a run on the gravel road. At 40 mph, seat of the pants feel wan't much different than the d606's. I didn't drive too aggressively on either set. I did notice the front 705 tries to wash out on mulch with a thin layer of pine straw, while the 606 held firmly. Nothing will be as good offroad as a knobby, but these 705's seem like they don't mess around either. Honestly surprised. If they bite this well on gravel I'm sure they would be great on anything but mud. I predict that in mud they would fill up and become slick like most of the all terrain tires I had on my truck. I don't plan on doing any mud runs anyway.

They definitely work for what I want them for. I'm impressed!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #65
justscoutin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
got any pics of them tires on the bike?
72 SL70
Save Aetna Offroad http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758193
justscoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #66
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by justscoutin View Post
got any pics of them tires on the bike?

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #67
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

I'll have to take some pictures when I get home, I'm about 400 miles away from my 650 right now...

I think the tires look great on the bike, and so does everyone at work.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #68
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
What tires would everybody recommend for high pavement mileage and soft sand? My used DR came with TW42s and they seem to work ok in sand, even at street pressure. I ride pretty sedately, exploring, more than racing at breakneck speeds. I don't know what kind of mileage I'll get out of the TW42s, but they look about 25% worn.

I just ordered a Kenda K761 rear from Motorcycle Superstore to try for commuting, and it should be adequate for the sand here when I go off the pavement, but is there a better tire for a similar/better price?

Also, stock sizes were 120/90-17 rear and 90/90-21 front IIRC, but I wanted to try a 130 rear for the sand. What are the widest tires that will fit on the DR and is a wider front or rear even recommended in soft sand?

Anybody got tube preference and place to buy them? I'm thinking butyl rubber may not be for me, in case I have to patch flats.

Thoughts and/or comments?
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #69
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,175
I'm going to be replacing my Dunlops with Kendas in the near future and have been shopping for new tubes. Competition Accessories has off brand tubes that are half as much as the tubes from Dunlop, Pirelli, IRC ect. Are they that much better? I use my DR mainly for street. Which type rubber is easier to patch? Thanks...............never mind, my dealer has them for the same price. I try to keep him in business if I can.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 09:00 AM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #70
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Here's a quick shot of my 705's since we already have some good ones.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #71
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Just an update on the 705's, I finally had the chance to test them out on a horrible stretch of road. It was very muddy, about the consistency of "infant's fecal material" just thick enough to pack the tires full. Also very steep and plenty of washed out and rutted areas. I didn't even air my tires down (I was at 30 PSI). Somehow I managed to keep from dropping this fully loaded pig on the 8 (total) mile stretch of road I was on.

I'm not saying that the tires did great, but they managed to provide enough traction for my particular situation. I expected them to be much worse! I think I'll stick with these tires for a while. Price is right, they suit my riding style perfectly, and I don't want to be in mud anyway! Just nice to know they can handle it if I need them to.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #72
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Yep. Snow, mud whatever...

Airing down also helps though.
I run 20f/18r on the DR off road and 14f/12r on the TT350.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #73
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,338
Picked up a second set of wheels this weekend for a great deal, came with Metzler Tourances with <300 miles.

Nice tires, looking forward to having two sets of wheels now, one for commuting and one for offroad play.

What tire pressure is commonly used for those of you heavily loaded/2up riding?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #74
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Thumb

I am pleasantly surprised how well the Shinko 700 front is doing. The rear 700 wears to fast for my needs but, the front does provide better bite on dirt roads. It goes very well with a rear 705. For the money and performance the 700/705 combo works very well for me.

I have one 705 front left in the shop and after that one, I'll be sticking with the 700 on the front with the 705 on the rear. That way I get a little more stopping power on dirt and I can just change them both every 6,000 miles or so. The front 705's last forever, so on long trips I would still put one on. But, for my usual day rides and short 1,000 mile trips I prefer the Shinko Mullet.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #75
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

I could have aired them down, but I currently have no way of airing back up on the fly. I'll be putting a nice off road tool kit together shortly since I FINALLY sold my 'effin cruiser!

...shinko mullet...

...nice