Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
stagecoach OP
Gear Head

Oddometer: 206
Thumb The Held Quattrotempi Gore-Tex Apparel line - Gear discussion

The Held Quattrotempi Gore-Tex Apparel line

*Updated 9/17 2nd installment, detail of Amarillo Jacket and Pezzo Pant posted - on page 2

*Updated 9/27 3rd installment, detail of Carese Jacket and Torno Pant posted - on page 2

This post is intended to open a discussion about the Held Quattrotempi Gore-Tex® line of apparel. I realize that here in the States Held apparel doesn’t have the same level of recognition as their gloves, due to the fact that it isn’t as widely stocked at dealers in the U.S. Because I currently have an example of each of the three suits imported by Held USA, I thought this was a great opportunity to present the features of each. My idea is to give an overview of the three suits, then detail each one in following posts.

I’ll take a moment to introduce myself. I have been an ADV member for a few years, and a lurker before that going back several years. I am an MSF Rider Coach, I have worked as a salesman at a multi-brand motorcycle dealership, and recently opened my own apparel and accessory shop called Smart Moto in Seekonk, MA. I’m very proud to carry the Held brand, and believe their design and build quality to be at the top of the industry.

Held USA imports a larger line of apparel including Cordura, leather, and mesh pieces, but the Quattrotempi pieces are special. These three suits showcase what they can really do when given an open design brief to produce a totally waterproof, detail-oriented range of suits using only the highest quality technical fabrics available. Each suit employs a different method and Gore product to achieve its Gore-Tex® “guaranteed to keep you dry” waterproof rating. The unique “cloverleaf” protective armor which is used in each suit was developed by SaS-Tec, with input from Held, specifically for the Quattrotempi line.

This photo shows the three available jacket and pant pairings. From left to right, the Carese jacket with Torno pants, the Cardona jacket with Frontino pants, and the Amarillo jacket with Pezzo pants (sold with an accompanying waterproof liner/shell, the Arso jacket and Sarone pants, which is pictured at the far right).

The Carese jacket

The Cardona jacket

The Amarillo jacket

This is an example of the SaS-Tec Cloverleaf armor used in all three suits. Pictured here is a left shoulder piece.

Underside

The Carese/Torno suit suit uses a Gore-Tex® LTD removable liner to allow for maximum airflow with it removed when waterproofing isn’t neccessary. The suit has lots of venting, and makes a great Spring, Summer, Fall 3-season choice.

The Cardona/Frontino suit uses Gore-Tex® Pro-Shell triple-layer laminate, so the waterproofing is integral to the suit and not removable. This suit has less venting, and includes a removable thermal liner in the jacket and pants, making it suitable to cooler/cold weather. However, to extend the comfort range into warmer weather, Cool System is used to reflect solar radiation, and the shell is lined with a Coolmax mesh to move moisture off your skin. The Cardona/Frontino suit is the most versatile in a four-season climate, comfortable in all but the hottest conditions.

Lastly, the Amarillo/Pezzo suit uses an independent 2-piece Gore-Tex® Paclite Shell, which can be buttoned and zipped into the suit as a liner, or worn over the garments as a rain suit. This combination is constructed of 500D Ripstop Cordura and 500D perforated Cordura, making it the lightest and most vented of the three suits. This suit, and the appropriate base layers, may well be all you would need to own if you live in a warm climate.

If anyone would like to talk offline, my name is Jason and I can be reached at the shop by email:
jason@smart-moto.com by phone: 774.901.2313 or just shoot me a PM

If you would like to take a closer look, I will have these suits with me at the IMOC Rally (Italian Motorcycle Owner Club) in Sturbridge, MA this Sunday September 18th

Next up, a detailed look at the Amarillo jacket, Pezzo pant, and the accompanying Arso jacket/Sarone pant Paclite Shell…

Ride Safe, Ride Smart

stagecoach screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 02:44 PM
stagecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,090
Is that ENTIRE outer arm/shoulder covered in Superfabric on the Cardona? DAMN
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
stagecoach OP
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Hi Jim,

Yes indeed, the Cardona jacket is loaded with high end technical fabrics, including Superfabric covering the full length of the sleeve. Other tech fabrics included in this jacket/pant combo are

Schoeller Kevlar Keprotec stretch panels inside and under the arm of the jacket, and in the crotch and calves of the pants
Gore-Tex Proshell throughout
Armacor used on the pants for abrasion resistance

I will detail all of the features of this jacket and pants in an upcoming post - lots of pictures included

For everybody scratching their head trying to figure out which language we're speaking, here's my Gear Geek definition section:

*Gore-Tex Proshell is a triple-layer bonded fabric with a tough outer material, waterproof membrane, and a soft backer fabric. While riding in the rain, the outer shell absorbs less water which means less increase in weight and faster drying times.

*Superfabric was originally designed for US special forces to super-lightweight flexible armor to withstand, well, just about anything they would encounter (except bullets - it won't stop bullets). The fabric is 32% polyester, 68% epoxy resin. The concept is a fabric with tiny resin armor plates, the space between the plates being just large enough to keep the fabric supple. Superfabric is extremely abrasion resistant and puncture resistant.

*Armacor is basically Cordura with every 4th thread replaced with Kevlar. It currently has the highest abrasion resistance of any textile on the market.

*Schoeller Keprotec stretch fabric is an aramid weave that is, light, stretchy and comfortable. However, by weight it is five times stronger than steel.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
slashfive
moto celeritas

Oddometer: 357
Had no idea you were there...

Great to see a local outfitter of good gear!
Will come visit soon from southern RI!
1996 900ss/cr
slashfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
stagecoach OP
Gear Head

Come on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashfive View Post
Great to see a local outfitter of good gear!
Will come visit soon from southern RI!
Hi slashfive,

Thanks for the encouragement!
I've just opened a couple months ago, so I'm still working on getting the right gear in the door. I've found a winner here.The Gore-Tex gear from Held is phenomenal, the attention to detail is evident after only a few minutes of playing with it.

If you keep an eye the flea market, you may see a few of my postings showing up - I'll be clearing my closet to make space for one of these suits!

The scenic route over the bridges and through Newport is worth the toll if the weather's right.
Come on up anytime, I have donuts (locally made) out on a Saturday morning, and the K-Cup machine is always on for a cup of joe.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
NIcely done. That Held stuff is excellent. Good choice and best to you.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
stagecoach OP
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
NIcely done. That Held stuff is excellent. Good choice and best to you.

BP
BP,

Thanks very much, that means a lot coming from you.

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
Jason
Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

What did I tell you .. the next 'best suit made' has just arrived and you're already drooling
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
What did I tell you .. the next 'best suit made' has just arrived and you're already drooling
And YOU ended up in another thread about high end suits
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,908
Oh, I'm an addict, there's no doubt

Just not super rich so it keeps me in check

Nice looking suits BTW, maybe the Latitude or Badlands will get a run for my $$

$699 for the Carese, wonder how much for the other two??

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 09-16-2011 at 10:09 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
grandpa_ken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Thanks for this. Looking forward to more information.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
stagecoach OP
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Oh, I'm an addict, there's no doubt

Just not super rich so it keeps me in check

Nice looking suits BTW, maybe the Latitude or Badlands will get a run for my $$

$699 for the Carese, wonder how much for the other two??
Dan, I believe we've had dealings before in the flea market, no?

Good eyes, the Carese jacket is $699, and the rest... I'm not sure I want to scare anybody off before I get to posting about the individual suits.

Without sounding overly secretive, I'd rather keep this thread focused on the gear itself. If you'd like to discuss pricing, just call or shoot me a message off-thread. jason@smart-moto.com , 774.901.2313 phone , or PM me
Everything forwards to my cell phone, and I'm willing to field late night emails.

I offer an ADV forum member discount, shoot me an email and I'll give you the details.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart
Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,315
Are there any other jackets from the Held line up you plan to carry? I've seen some nice looking stuff on some of the Euro vendors websites.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
stagecoach OP
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Are there any other jackets from the Held line up you plan to carry? I've seen some nice looking stuff on some of the Euro vendors websites.
Hi swimmer,

Out of the numerous pieces they make for the European market, Held USA only has one non-Gore-Tex textile jacket for men that they are importing, the Awara. Outer is made from 600D Heros-Tec with 900D Cordura abrasion patches. The waterproofing is by a Reissa Z-Liner membrane. Nice looking, great features, and very competitively priced at $249.99 (plus optional thermal liner for $29.99)

I don't stock the jacket now, but may bring some in. I really like the jacket, and at that price point think it's a buy.

From what I hear, Held USA is trying to concentrate on the Quattrotempi line going forward, and not try to compete in an over-crowded mid-range textile market.

Jason

Ride Safe, Ride Smart

Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecoach View Post
Hi swimmer,

Out of the numerous pieces they make for the European market, Held USA only has one non-Gore-Tex textile jacket for men that they are importing, the Awara.
The Imola jacket was one I was hoping you might be bringing in.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote