ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #61
far
ADVreader
 
far's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Andes,Venezuela
Oddometer: 135
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
No, the 5.2" fan will not fit the bracket... and for that matter the 5.2" is a VERY TIGHT FIT if at all on the right side, especially the 990 because of the EFI plug on the frame rail.


I'm not sure that running the fans almost 100% of the time is really necessary, which is most likely going to be the result of having a 160F thermo switch. Keep in mind that typically thermo switches have a ON temp (200) and a OFF temp that is ~20 degrees below the ON latch temp. So, if installing a "160F" switch, that means the radiator coolant temps would need to be at or below ~140F before it would unlatch and turn OFF the fans.... IMO, not optimal.
Then the one god for my test could be the 180F not so aggressive in the charge system, BTW I don't even know if the 160F & the 180F exist for this radiator connector, did you know?
Thanks for the help.
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #62
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Up North In The UK!
Oddometer: 1,836
Cracking report I've just bought an OEM fan from the Bay and I'll be looking at fitting soon, as I've had overheating "issues" on my Euro trip this year and a recent rally. I'd like to know where you got the lower teaperture sensor switch from? Is it a KTM part or could I source one from any good auto stores?

Thanks DG
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #63
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Yascher's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 388
the next best thing on the list after second fan and new switch is a deflector for second fan, like on the original one on the left!!!
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #64
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Foot of the Sangre de Cristos
Oddometer: 153
Re:

Recently finished almost 5000 mi. on a GDR ride after installing the second fan and lower temp sensor on a 2005 950. Some days were quite warm. Both fans working kept things a 4 bars when riding slow or pulling uphill. However, I read of quick cycle times and I have noticed that when the fans come on they will stay on constantly until the riding is easier. Is this normal or is there a problem elsewhere to cause them not to cycle during the difficult stuff. Radiator appears to be clean and coolant level is correct. This may be normal, just wondered what the OC thought. The fan kit is one of the best things you can do for your bike. Get it and you will love it!
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #65
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Cracking report I've just bought an OEM fan from the Bay and I'll be looking at fitting soon, as I've had overheating "issues" on my Euro trip this year and a recent rally. I'd like to know where you got the lower teaperture sensor switch from? Is it a KTM part or could I source one from any good auto stores?

Thanks DG
You can get the sensor here
http://www.advmachines.com/
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #66
geometrician
let's keep going...
 
geometrician's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: West-By-God Virginia
Oddometer: 1,023
Cool2 Shrowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
the next best thing on the list after second fan and new switch is a deflector for second fan, like on the original one on the left!!!
many Inmates have found their bikes run cooler by removing the plastic directing shrowd- I myself left it in place but turned the rubber flaps so they pivot from the inside, so the hot exhausted air goes away from the center of the bike and out the left tank opening

I think having more plastic in such a tight place hurts cooling, back in the age of the Dinosaurs we had a heck of a time getting 900 Ninjas to cool themselves down and removing Kawasaki's plastic bits helped a lot- I'd have to dig it up but Motorcyclist did an article with each mod being measured for temperature drop, showing (as I recall) about 15f temp drop from removing the fan shrowd.

If someone had the time that Bob of Thermobob fame (see here) has they could record the temp drop of the different LC8 mods.

YMMV of course.
__________________
Britt
'06 KTM 950 Adv 'S'
'03 KTM 250 EXC
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #67
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western South Dakota
Oddometer: 901
have those of you with heating problems bled the cooling system? mine overheated when I first got it and it apparently had a lot of air in the water pump area? I initially thought it was a fan issue as the only time it would cool properly was if you were moving @ 40+MPH. after bleeding the fan cycles like it is supposed too and everythign seems to work fine.

Black Hills screwed with this post 09-16-2011 at 09:46 AM
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #68
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Recently finished almost 5000 mi. on a GDR ride after installing the second fan and lower temp sensor on a 2005 950. Some days were quite warm. Both fans working kept things a 4 bars when riding slow or pulling uphill. However, I read of quick cycle times and I have noticed that when the fans come on they will stay on constantly until the riding is easier. Is this normal or is there a problem elsewhere to cause them not to cycle during the difficult stuff. Radiator appears to be clean and coolant level is correct. This may be normal, just wondered what the OC thought. The fan kit is one of the best things you can do for your bike. Get it and you will love it!
This is what I would consider to be "normal"
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #69
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
the next best thing on the list after second fan and new switch is a deflector for second fan, like on the original one on the left!!!
Recent addition to the kit is a section of reflective heat tape to be applied to the fuel tank surface in an effort to reduce heat absorption into the tank. Granted, not a deflector shield like the other side.... seems to do the job for the header pipe area and I am pretty sure the header gets hotter than the radiator exhaust air.
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #70
slowinfastout
6 x 275cc
 
slowinfastout's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Fairfax Station VA
Oddometer: 1,449
I installed the second fan on my 990 and have been watching the right fuel tank for boil-over instances - so far none, and its been pretty hot here in VA. No deflection shroud or heat tape installed on the right side. What I do notice is a much quicker cooling rate (time the fans are on when running as a pair vs one).
__________________
"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #71
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
I installed the second fan on my 990 and have been watching the right fuel tank for boil-over instances - so far none, and its been pretty hot here in VA. No deflection shroud or heat tape installed on the right side. What I do notice is a much quicker cooling rate (time the fans are on when running as a pair vs one).
We've had record heat and number of days over 100 in Texas this summer. I noticed my H2W second fan causing boiling of the fuel in the right tank when full almost immediately after installation. A couple of layers of insulating reflective foil tape fixed that problem. I'm glad to see H2W including the tape now, but a deflector would be a better solution. I have the 88 deg (Celsius) switch and I've had no problems of overheating in the TX blast furnace.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #72
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Recent addition to the kit is a section of reflective heat tape to be applied to the fuel tank surface in an effort to reduce heat absorption into the tank. Granted, not a deflector shield like the other side.... seems to do the job for the header pipe area and I am pretty sure the header gets hotter than the radiator exhaust air.
I don't know, I found the tank too hot to touch (before using insulating reflective tape) in the area where the fan output hits the tank.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #73
far
ADVreader
 
far's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Los Andes,Venezuela
Oddometer: 135
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I have the 88 deg (Celsius) switch
That sensor did you buy in a auto store? or is a ktm stock part?
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #74
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Up North In The UK!
Oddometer: 1,836
Now you're pissin' me off with your US of A heatwaves and 100 degrees

Although we had a hot one today here in Blighty, got up to 14 degrees earlier this afternoon and then the rain came!
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #75
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.
 
Blakduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cooroy
Oddometer: 1,176
Have had my 2nd fan kit for ages, will have to get around to installing it soon!
__________________
FE450.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014