Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #91
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
What the factory did and shouldn't have

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I thought was a pitiful turning radius on my 950, that I couldn't fix easily. The 950 wanted to fall inward into a full-lock, tight slow speed turn (heavily), whereas my F800 stays quite balanced in more of a neutral weight bias during same maneuver. HF
I have to thank Geometrician for this one... You see, the factory set the steering stops out extremely far. This was probably for crating and shipping. And most dealers didn't get all the info on the bikes, so they sold them where the bike had that weird limitation in turning radius.

But that was easily figured out and the word passed on here. It was a very simple fix. A turn of a 12mm. about 5/8" in from where the factory set it.

It was like a completely different bike for steering especially at low end. Again, I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced the bike with all of these subtle changes. It's amazing.

From your post you said you have about $24K into your bike, I'd be curious on the difference the ergo's would make on that bike. As for my only putt on one...of course I didn't try any stoppies or that front end dive would have reared it head at me.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #92
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post

But that was easily figured out and the word passed on here. It was a very simple fix. A turn of a 12mm. about 5/8" in from where the factory set it.

From your post you said you have about $24K into your bike,
$24K was a bit rhetorical....or would that be metaphorical?

Don't you dare ask me to add it up! I might be afraid to roll it off the pavement ever again...

But, ho-chi-momma I like it now.

Back to the 950....regarding that steering stop, mine didn't even have a bolt. Just a frame nub. I bought it used. maybe the previous owner chunked it, I donno. Or maybe he welded extensions to them. My 950's turning radius was very limited....stop to stop. I should have got out the dremmel and grinder. Keep in mind, I come from an Observed Trials background where we can turn handlebars 270 degrees! Warning: more rhetorical stuff.

Comparatively, my F800 turns circles around it.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #93
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
$24K was a bit rhetorical....or would that be metaphorical?

Don't you dare ask me to add it up! I might be afraid to roll it off the pavement ever again...

But, ho-chi-momma I like it now.

Back to the 950....regarding that steering stop, mine didn't even have a bolt. Just a frame nub. I bought it used. maybe the previous owner chunked it, I donno. Or maybe he welded extensions to them. My 950's turning radius was very limited....stop to stop. I should have got out the dremmel and grinder. Keep in mind, I come from an Observed Trials background where we can turn handlebars 270 degrees! Warning: more rhetorical stuff.

Comparatively, my F800 turns circles around it.

HF

It is quite the turner... I was gassing up the other day and retardedly pulled up to the wrong side of the pump, so is spun it around, and some guy came came up and was in awe about how tight it could turn... But yea, its nice. I can do a continuous circle in the space of 2 parking spots.

Ryan
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #94
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Good boy on all points except for the road racing part. The SV is cool, but that is actually for the old farts. They been there and done that. They show up and race those lightweight classes every weekend, and you'll never beat those mutha scoota's. They have it all figured out seriously. If you try that route, you'll probably buy a set of tires per weekend once you make 'expert'. $300 a pop.

Road racing is very expensive if you are trying to compete. Maybe $1000 per weekend on a lightweight bike all in. If you bump to a big bike you will buy an extra set of tires, That is near $500 if you use Dunlop. $460 if Pirelli.

The new AMA Pro rules are helpful. They use a spec tire and the spec tires cost only $375 per set. You get 7 rear tires and five fronts as a maximum. Not bad, compared to what they charge for the English versions in club racing (half second faster). I spent only $1580 on the New Jersey AMA round for tires, and I am proud of that savings. But we had mechanical issues, which ruined some of the track time, so we didn't buy the tires we could have.
Cool thanks for the info
Quote:
My guess is you are very inexperienced about motorcyles.
I don't know about very inexperienced, but i'm no expert. I think I get it done ok...

Quote:
PS: in any form of competition, beit motor racing or love, you never stop learning. That's the way life is. Glad you found some of that already.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #95
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Lots of us on this forum have serious experience racing motorcycles, and some of us did it for money. So when you post the imagery you did, it rings hollow if you know what I mean. None of the racers here would make such statements, because it doesn't even register. Your lecturing was a total disconnect of a newbie to motorcycling.

Interestingly, many of the old farts you attack are ex-racers! Those boys did that thing and they relish every vision of when they backed that Mutha Scoota' in and claimed their rightful position in the pursuit of the checkered flag.

Adventure riding is a great outlet for us old fart racers. Most of us are decades past our days of glory. But the truth is, we don't want to get hurt anymore. We all have been hurt. Every single one of us. On the other hand, we like the thrill of a few moments during a ride when things come together in that masterful way. Such a high!

Try a few races. They have more noob friendly classes today (even with your Suzy). You will always be part of something special if you've tried racing at least a few times.

I don’t understand how it happened; I was actually a half descent rider once, with balls and the ability to save them. Some of it floods back when I start to push it, but me not want to hurt anymore, me go nice and slow now.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 AM   #96
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I have experience of both, having owned two 990s and an F800GS. I have to say I really wanted to like the BMW more, but plain and simple fact is the KTM has a bigger grin factor, is lighter on the wallet, except at fuel stops, is much more capable off road and is much more capable on a long tour.

My BMW had so many issues, head stock bearings, chain and sprokets life sucks, the motor needed new main bearings after on 22,000 miles, the on board computer information was unrelaible, the headlight sucks, all in all it was a real money pit. The bearings went just outside the two year warenty and BMW just stuck up a middle finger. In contrast KTM replaced the front wheel 4 moths out of warenty as the spokes were rusting.

The BMW is more suited to shopping trips than long tours, unless like Ewan, you have a support vehicle of spare.
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #97
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whele View Post

The BMW is more suited to shopping trips than long tours, unless like Ewan, you have a support vehicle of spare.
Wife is sending me on a quick shopping trip to pick up some milk and bread. Let me know if any other inmates need me to grab anything at the store. A few friends have graciously offered to follow in their truck for support in case the 800 is unable to complete the 5 mile round trip. If she is running good, I may push the limits and also stop at the Starbucks.
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #98
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket009 View Post
Wife is sending me on a quick shopping trip to pick up some milk and bread. Let me know if any other inmates need me to grab anything at the store. A few friends have graciously offered to follow in their truck for support in case the 800 is unable to complete the 5 mile round trip. If she is running good, I may push the limits and also stop at the Starbucks.
Starbucks does seem to be where I see most of the GS's adventuring too.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #99
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
KTMeers too. At least I think that is a KTM. Couldn't tell with all that mud and dirt on the orange from hard core riding and jumping

Both are great bikes. Fortunately I have not had the mechanical issues a few on the site have experienced. A few modifications and the 800 has fitted me well so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
apparently they do enjoy latte!

Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #100
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whele View Post
I have experience of both, having owned two 990s and an F800GS. I have to say I really wanted to like the BMW more, but plain and simple fact is the KTM has a bigger grin factor, is lighter on the wallet, except at fuel stops, is much more capable off road and is much more capable on a long tour.

My BMW had so many issues, head stock bearings, chain and sprokets life sucks, the motor needed new main bearings after on 22,000 miles, the on board computer information was unrelaible, the headlight sucks, all in all it was a real money pit. The bearings went just outside the two year warenty and BMW just stuck up a middle finger. In contrast KTM replaced the front wheel 4 moths out of warenty as the spokes were rusting.

I don't have neither, got an R12GSA, until now without too many problems - done 55.000km the last 2 years. But I'm thinking about moving on to something else, and for a very long time I had a keen look at the 990Adv., but the service cost and it's use of fuel made me take it off the list.

Currently I'm looking at the F8GS, yes I'm worried about the issues with the rear wheel bearings, and some of the other small interesting issues it have, but when one really look at it, BMW sell heaps of these bikes, and most of them do never really have any issues (except for the rear wheel bearings), the same with KTM most of them do not really have any issues (like yours), but when one read the forums one get to think that one hardly can take these bikes out on the street without having a service truck with you.

And both KTM and BMW really have an issue with quality control, if they could produce bikes which where of the same quality as the best of them, then we wouldn't have anything to bitch about....

So granted that neither BMW (R12 and F8 - earlier models where somewhat better made) nor KTM make bikes which are known for their stability without the buyer changes a few things after they get out of the shop. Then it comes down to what one really want, something which is a hooligan bike (KTM), or something which just gets you there without too much fuss (BMW).

So in general people can get unlucky and get a beast of burden no matter which brand they buy.

Just my 2c.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #101
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Surely to label any bike as a hooligan is just wrong, it the way it is riden. When I was 16 I was a bigger hooligan on an FS1E than I am now on the 990Adv. The only drawback is your face starts to ache after 4 hours of grinnng
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #102
kruk
n00b

Oddometer: 5
So maybe I will tell you about my experience with F800GS ;)
Got it with 2000miles on the clock 2011model. all possible extras fitted. In may I took it for my Georgia (around black sea) trip all together 8000miles. On a motorways it was basically to slow for me and very poor wind / weather protection, even with MRA tall touring screen, over 70mph vibrations and wind take the whole pleasure of riding. But motorways is not the environment for the bike. so lets talk about offroad ;) In Georgia after 25miles of not too hard offroad at 2200m.a.s.l the rear shock absorber broken down - oil leak. so back down hill with no oil only on the spring. cutting story short no one could fix it in georgia, bmw uk advised me to get to ukraine and get it fixed in Odessa bmw dealer, after 3 days and 500pounds i got to the dealer, a man in the service was quite nice, I explained him what's the problem and his respond was: that's not a problem we can order the shock absorber for you, should be with us in 3 weeks, so what do we do? 3week?!! bla bla bla got it working temporally and in uk got it replaced on a warranty but now got some engine problems, sometimes it sound like 2 stroke but not every time, because the fault is intermittent it is difficult to fix it as every time i take it to the dealer it does work ok!
so now waiting to save some money and getting new 990 adventure in march 2013
anyone interested in buying amazing f800gs? ;)

kruk screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 01:10 PM
kruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #103
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoma View Post
When I went to the dealer to test a KTM 990, I got back and said it just felt too much of a dedicated offroad machine (albeit a heavy one!). He then offered me a test ride on a brand new F800GS. I bought the BMW on the spot.

Theres not a day goes by where I don't regret buying the BMW ....BUT I imagine I'd be even more dissatisfied with the KTM.

The Beemer is uncomfortable with the stock seat, has a ridiculously tall first gear so hard core offroading is out of the question in stock form which is fine because the suspension is shite for that anyways, the motor rattles more than my dead grannys teeth and it's stupidly overpriced IMHO. No, where the Beemer pics up points is it's ability in town over the KTM and it's astounding fuel mileage.

I have 7 bikes - I dislike the Beemer because it cost the most and delivered the least. I'm sure there's people here who swear by 'em but honestly there's no comparison to what you get with a Japanese machine - in quality, performance and value for money.

When I bought it, I made my bed and now I'll lie on it....... c'est la vie!

Pretty much what I thought.

and KLRs are only any good as boat anchors. You may as well buy one of those Indian made Enfields.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #104
kruk
n00b

Oddometer: 5
so now anyone who wants to get new KTM 990adv got only few more months to get them as introducing 1200adv means end of 990adv production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like KTM made the same mistake as Honda replacing Africa Twin with Varadero

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #105
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
The trouble is that you make a bike that suits the true off road rider, and everyone else (who incidentally make up most of the owners) complain that they aren't "user friendly" and that they are tricky to ride.

Because the average rider is very average at riding.

I'm not for a second implying that I'm anything but average. Just making a case for the extinction of a entire category of bike.

Sportsbikes have been morphed into high performance tourers, then into "Adventure bikes" instead of morphing big bore trail bikes and Safari Raid bikes into more capable long range tourers.

The key manufactuers are using their high volume powerplants and chassis arrangements and trying to satisfy a wider market. It makes more economic sense than designing something from the ground up.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote