ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Drizzt OP
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Tucson Area Tool Exchange

This thread is for the sharing of tools (especially specialized ones).

If you have tools and or facilities, and would be willing to share either, please post up! It would be useful if you posted the following information

A)A list of tools that you have (an example would be a 30mm socket, or tire irons)

B)A list of facilities that you have (an example would be a tire changing machine or a bike lift)

C)A list of skills that you would be willing to share (such as how to change a tire by hand, or how to do an oil change)

D)Your general location. It doesn't have to be an address, but the more specific the better (Broadway and Kolb is a lot better then "Tucson")

If you want a tool/service, just look through the thread and PM a person that has it, and you can make arrangements.

I would like to keep the thread just to a listing, so you can find information quickly rather then sifting through 3 pages of "does anybody have this?!"

It would be a general courtesy to return the tools at least in the same cleanliness, if not cleaner. Please don't return tools all greasy and oily, otherwise people aren't going to want to loan out their tools to anybody.

So, if you have tools, please post!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Drizzt OP
Ranger

I'll begin

A) Common tools (just use this to summarize the following items-screw drivers, common sized wrenches, common sized sockets, hammers, crescent wrenches, pliers, ect...).

A variety of oversize sockets and wrenches, mostly standard though

Really long extensions

Torque wrenches (Heavy, begin at 50 pounds)

Punches and Files

Tire Irons and Valve Core Removers

B)A heavy duty car jack

Air compressor (~30 gallons) with air tools

Wire Welding Machine (for iron and steel)

A concrete slab for working on things (no cover)

C)Tire change (by hand)

Oil Change

Valve Check

Cleaning Air filter

Other light duty maintence

D)3 Miles from Houghton and Sahuarita road, Corona De Tucson

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,516
dirt bike stand

motorcycle jack

various hand tools (sockets, drives, etc.)

tie down straps
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
All manner of chains, straps, hitch carrier and a truck(its a tool just like a big hammer)

Lots of extensions and hand tools, metric and standard, 1/4 3/8 1/2

tons of wrenches. electrical tools, drills, hammers, pliers, etc.

cut off wheel, d/a sander, die grinder, paint gun(no air compressor though)

bike stand, tire irons and such.

specialized tools: xr swingarm sockets

inside garage space for bikes

I'm in southeast tucson, I know upholstery, welding, fabrication, custom bodywork, and some other stuff.

I'm happy to help.

lstzephyr screwed with this post 02-28-2010 at 07:11 PM
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Thumb

I am located at Pantano and 5th, Far Horizons Tucson Village (a blue hair RV park.) Covered, concrete carport. Until late April (when most of the blue hairs go home) working on more than one bike at a time is no-go. Summer rules are a lot looser than winter ones.

Tools, all the usual suspects sockets, ratchets, breaker bars (with a cheater pipe,) a real good torque wrench. Hammers. 5hp compressor, pneumatic tools (ratchet, impact, drill, cutoff wheels, nailers, a coupla spray guns w/regulator.) Some sockets that are larger than the usual candidates--30 mm deep wall, impact socket for GM hub nuts, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 sockets. 1/4 1/2 3/8 drive sockets, extensions, wobblers, and drives.

Got a broomstick for taking fork legs apart, necessary to keep things form spinning inside the leg.

M/cycle jack, tire spoons, valve remover tool. Many automotive jacks (bottle and floor jacks.) Cheep multi meter from HF, digital & dial micrometers, and a mic for measuring runout (but no attachments or frames.) Some feeler gauges, wire gauges for spark plugs.

Hobart handler MIG welder (currently even have gas.) Grinders, pedestal grinder one side is stone, the other is a wire wheel. 1/2 in drive drill. Drill press (fairly good sized) various sized drills of various qualities. Ox/acetylene torch setup with small tanks (no gas, tho,) kinda the HVAC/Roofer special. Anyone who can afford to fill the bottles can borrow it.

I have manuals for the 08 & later KLR, DR 650 (95 & earllier.) If I can ever get into my old hard drive, I have manuals for later DR 650 and earlier KLR.

I have a single bike, small, very light trailer. The trailer lights work most of the time. & a Chevy Lumina with a trailer hitch.

In my 'useless' tool box, a valve spring compressor, piston ring compressor, some larger hones, brake spring tool, induction timing light w/variable advance. McPherson strut spring compressors. Easy outs. Some helicoil stuff. An air pop riveter. An oversized pop riveter. Cheep taps and dies from HF. A/C vacuum pump (electric.)

The usual rules about cleaning up, catching fluids, and recycling parts/fluids apply.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
goodtimes
local bum

Oddometer: 925
Big-ass hammer, + various other beating devices.

And a few other things too.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
I've got bicycle tools (and 20+ years of know-how)

Not so much in the MC specific stuff cept for 1150 and 1200 boxer oil filter wrenches

M
Old 03-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
TucsonBill
Tucson Tiger

Oddometer: 120
I have a shed full of tools with which I've built/maintained motorcycles, cars, boats, airplanes, and regular around-home stuff. I also have a motorcycle lift. Tanque Verde/ Sabino Canyon part of town.
1968 Honda CT-90, Edith
TucsonBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #9
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
I need to do a brake job on my ancient and decrepit motor home. Does anyone have a good 1/2 drive air impact I can borrow?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
inire
Browncoat symp

Oddometer: 412
Toolz

Electric impact

Tapered alum damper-rod holder

Flywheel puller(s) for DR650

Garage floor

Ironwood & Lloyd Bush
Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
All the standard junk/hand tools... also have welders, plasma cutter, and general know how to hack junk together!

..and for the KLR folks, I have the Doo Tools!

Chad
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Tucson Area. Tire machine needed

Anyone in Tucson have a tire machine that we could use as we ride through to Mexico.

We will be arriving September 25 into North Tucson, and will need to one tire on a KTM 990 and maybe 2 on F800 GS.

Sunday Late or Monday . Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Drizzt OP
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Anyone in Tucson have a tire machine that we could use as we ride through to Mexico.

We will be arriving September 25 into North Tucson, and will need to one tire on a KTM 990 and maybe 2 on F800 GS.

Sunday Late or Monday . Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark
Try posting in the TABB, I'm sure that somebody will help you put on some tires. here's the link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...25691&page=799

Otherwise if you want a machine, probably just take it to a shop, you could try zmw or onanymoto, I'm sure they'll have tires and they have a tire machine.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Try posting in the TABB, I'm sure that somebody will help you put on some tires. here's the link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...25691&page=799

Otherwise if you want a machine, probably just take it to a shop, you could try zmw or onanymoto, I'm sure they'll have tires and they have a tire machine.
THANKS will post there. Have the tires we are using.

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
Greenstreak-750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have lots of tools. Mostly METRIC ............ I used to work in a bike shop. I have fork seal drivers, carb sync'ing gauges. Air tools and a big compressor. I am not big on loaning out tools, but would rather help you fix it myself. A friend in need is a friend in deed.
Greenstreak-750 is offline   Reply With Quote