User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #826
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Britannia Composites Mirage II

I have been using this fairing/screen for about a week. I'm 5'-9" with a 32" inseam. Here are my thoughts:

~ The wind noise is now effectively GONE. I can hear my engine at any speed now, and I can ride with my face shield up on the highway if I choose to (although the first day I did this a damn wasp commited suicide on my right cheekbone... ow.)

~ there is still some minor buffeting, but I'm still working out the right shield position for different speeds. I think it's going to become a non issue.

~ the shield is easily adjusted on the fly, nice feature.

~ the whole package is well engineered, and really solid once it's all tightened up. No vibration or rattling at all.

~ with the shield right up (looking through it) the optics aren't perfect, especially at the corners. I asked Ian about this and he says he'll replace it for shipping costs if it proves to be a problem. It's not really a huge issue, and he's been great to deal with.

~ the only real issue I have is that it's a bit tight at full lock, the cables etc. are a little cramped. It reduces turning circle a little bit, and since I'm close by I'm going to go down to his shop and let him have a look at it. Maybe I've done something stupid during assembly, as he says nobody else has complained about this.

All in all, I'm really happy. It looks great, the finish is very good, the paint color matches exactly, and it looks like it was meant to be there.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #827
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Z-technik screen works way better then the BMW touringscreen on my wife's bike.

DetoX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #828
Peter640
Peter 640

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidd View Post
I really dont mean to be an ass, but I will say it. that thing just looks silly, comes off like a photoshopped snot bubble in a wind tunnel on a already 'distinctive' bike. Im barely 5'6 and the stock screens hate me, they are out to get me with a vengeance, but ... damn ... the answer has to be elsewhere

I tried the Cee Bailey and found it too laid back for me (threw wind into my helmet) plus the sods ripped me off on postage to Oz by $60. Just installed a Cal Sci and VERY happy. A bit more agrcultural re the mount but more upright, more ridgid and much more effective. I guess its horses for courses as the fellow that bought my CB was very happy with it (half price probably helped plus no postal rip off!).

The issue now is speed management as there is NO wind to give me feedback.

Peter640 screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 04:00 AM Reason: added to it
Peter640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #829
jimmyt
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Vstream

I also have a zteknic vstream, Best yet. Have tried cee bailey 18" and givi. I am 5'8''-31" inseam. Bugs now hit the top of my helmet, not my visor. Also have Barkbusters (old style with full bar) and they just barely touch at full lock-they don't even cause the shield to move. Looks better in person than in the pictures. I got the medium touring clear and see over it no problem. My windshield search is now over! The only wind I feel now comes up from the bottom of the shield which is actually quite welcome on a hot day.
jimmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #830
shinerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I just switched from a z techinic sport to a twalcom. I switched because the noise and booming were just getting to be too much. I did not want a giant screen but something had to give so I gave the twalcom a try and I'm glad I did.
Attached Images

shinerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #831
shinerunner
Adventurer

There is nothing wrong with the z technic. It is better made for sure. But the large screens they make are too large for me. The twalcom is more out front and its narrower so its out of the way.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #832
shinerunner
Adventurer

Its nice to be able to ride around town with no ear plugs and run with the visor up to 50 mph if I want. In the cons dept.
Its not optical quality, but since I look over it that does not matter to me. The edge finishing could be better. Its not sharp or anything but not nicely relieved like the Z technic.
Attached Images

shinerunner screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 08:09 AM
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #833
shinerunner
Adventurer

One more picture...
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #834
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,435
Laugh

"back painted factory screen" tip from a helicopter mechanic... for their shield....scotch bright...paint with Mecurcy engine paint from west marine works best! cuts the glare!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #835
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I added a Laminar Lip to my stock screen and now i'm getting a lot of buffeting (but with less wind noise). Kinda weird?

I have it mounted almost all the way up like this:

I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam and OEM low seat, so I'm guessing I just have it mounted too high? I tried standing up an 1-3"s higher than normally seated and the windnoise/buffeting seamed to get worse. I have one set of the 3M mounting circles left.. where should I try putting them to move the screen lower? Is there a certain formula to determine the most effective windshield height?
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #836
XTrooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
"back painted factory screen" tip from a helicopter mechanic... for their shield....scotch bright...paint with Mecurcy engine paint from west marine works best! cuts the glare!!!!
Looks great, Coonass!
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991)
2011 BMW F800GS - Alpine White
2009 BMW R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #837
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,691
Wunderlich Flow Jet

Here's what I posted at the Wunderlich site.

I purchased this screen to get more air to the jacket vents. It does that well. The air used to hit me about mid shoulder. Now the air hits me mid chest. For reference, I'm just under 6' with a long torso. The stock screen turbulence was at the middle of the helmet.

The installation went fast. I have a headlight protector, so I had to cut off the points on the bottom of the screen to clear their mounts. If you didn't know it, you wouldn't miss them. I also had to do a bit if filing on the brackets.

Off road the screen is great. I don't take the F800GS on technical single track. I have lots of air hitting my chest and vents, and I stay much cooler.

At around town speeds, air is fine. The turbulence stays below the helmet, which keeps it quiet in the helmet.

Highway/Interstate speed I can not recommend. There is no bubble of calm air to get behind. When approaching speeds above 70MPH, the bike does not seem as stable as it was before. I think this is due to the asymmetric nature of the top edge. At speeds above 80MPH you have to lean into the wind to stay on the bike. I have not tried it above 85MPH, and probably won't.

Fortunately, I hate the interstate anyway.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #838
Beemster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey636 View Post
I added a Laminar Lip to my stock screen and now i'm getting a lot of buffeting (but with less wind noise). Kinda weird?

I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam and OEM low seat, so I'm guessing I just have it mounted too high? I tried standing up an 1-3"s higher than normally seated and the windnoise/buffeting seamed to get worse. I have one set of the 3M mounting circles left.. where should I try putting them to move the screen lower? Is there a certain formula to determine the most effective windshield height?
Hi Mikey,
I had some buffeting also with the screen in the highest position, however, I am about 5-11 with a 30 in inseam. When I would duck down about 3 inches I would get calm air, so I am surprised that with your height that it doesnt work better for you. Dont use your last set of dots until you have the correct position figured out. Use duct tape at a lower height, until you get it right, then use the dots. I tried a lower setting and reduced the buffeting, but didnt get as much air protection as I wanted. So now Iv'e ordered a Mirage 2,
Good luck,
B
Beemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #839
Beemster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey636 View Post

Hi Mikey,
With your measurements I am surprised that you are getting so much buffeting. I got some buffeting, but I am 5-10 with 30 in inseam and if I dropped down about 3 inches it was pretty calm. However I still didnt get as much air protection as I wanted, so now I ordered a Mirage 2.
Dont use your last set of dots until you get the position figured out! Use duct tape or simmilar to temporarily fix the screen to test at different heights, then use the dots.
Good Luck,
B-
Beemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #840
albany23
Aficionado

Oddometer: 77
Puig Screen for the F800GS

I just recieved this one:

http://www.puig.tv/tuning-bikes/bmw-...213-r19-m1699/

looks nice (i ordered the light smoke version). I'll mount it tonite and post pics. I'm still in the office...

Cheers,

Mihai
albany23 is offline   Reply With Quote