Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #61
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
Nice report. I especially like the short video clips of just one section, because they are short and because you can identify what each route is like. Nice job on the fender - if that is all you snookered on this trip you are easy on equipment! that was a long ride....

Update when you can... the rest of us are just shiver with

an

tici

pation... (frankNfurter)

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #62
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Day 3

Up early pack the bikes, gas up and head out. Our goal is to tackle the remaining dirt in NM. It is a beautiful morning, the rains are gone and the air is cool.

So we start on full stomachs we stop by the Cuban Café.

The waitress said they had the best Biscuits and Gravy she has ever had, so I tried it. It was good, but not the best I have had. I asked her about it and she admitted she didn’t get out that much. LOL But, it was still pretty good. So if you spend the night in Cuba, this is a good breakfast place.

So we head for the next leg of the ride, a few miles out of town we see signs saying the road is closed, but we don’t stop, go till they won’t let you go any farther is how we feel. Then we get to the real road block, and signs that the forest is closed. So we are not just dealing with a road issue, but a forest issue.

So, we head back to Cuba and stop at the Cuba Visitor’s Center. We talk to the rangers, and they point out what the big ass sign says, the forest is closed south of HWY 96.

Okay, a quick look at the map and we plot a course up to HWY 96 and east to Abiquiu. Then the plan is to hit 554 North to El Rito where we can jump back onto dirt again. It was a lot of pavement, but it was a pretty ride along Abiquiu Lake.

We make it to El Rito and we pull off where we believe the dirt starts, discuss fuel, drink some water, and I completely overlook the closed sign.

A couple rangers in a truck roll up and we start talking to them about the road, and terrain, how far to this that yadda yadda yadda, and they answer all our questions. Then at the end of the conversation one of them said none of that really mattered, because the road was closed, and he pointed at the sign. Now, had I seen the sign we would have been up in the woods when there were no rangers around. I told them I didn’t plan on smoking or starting any fires, but they still said no. We were a little pissed as the guys in Cuba said the forests north of HWY 96 were open (remember the big ass sign?)

So, we decide to head over to 285 and go north to CO.

In Antonito we head west on 17 to Horca where the plan is to get back on the CDR track. We stop at the Fox Creek Store, and they confirm what we had hoped, all the forests in CO are open. Sweet!

Just up the road to Horca and we are back on dirt, for the first time today, man, were we missing this. Colorado has sweet dirt roads.

Which lead to mountain passes with sweet views.

Just north of Platoro going through some nice twisty rough mountain road, we come across these guys. They work for the forest service, and they had to give their truck to some other guys. In return they got stuck with this car, shod with worn out passenger car tires. No spare, just a pump and a can of goo they hoped would plug the hole. It wasn’t working so I offered to fix it for them.

Nice guys, we chatted for a while till we were sure they were good to go, then we hit the road again.

We make it to Del Norte and to 112 North. The GPS track takes us to a road that appears to be closed for plowing.

In CO we saw a few places where it looked like there used to be a dirt road, but the landscape had been restored, that is what I think was going on here. We found a way around and got onto the track at LaGarita.

By now it is getting into the afternoon and we are thinking about a place to camp. We check the map and decide Storm King is about where we will be at the end of the day.

We make it there and guess what, it is freaking closed. Today is the day that everything is closed.

Upon closer examination we discover that while the chain has two locks on it, the gate is not actually secured.

Dude, we are in.

A few sites were done, and some were under construction still, but we would not damage anything, and be long gone before any workmen arrived in the morning, hopefully.

Check out this virgin fire pit, yeah, we wanted a fire, but no way were we lighting this baby up.

So we made camp, had dinner, and called it a day.

No fee box to leave cash for camping, but after fixing the tire on a forest service car, I figure we are even.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 12:10 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #63
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
No fee box to leave cash for camping, but after fixing the tire on a forest service car, I figure we are even.
Haha, good call! Great read, keep it coming!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #64
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 4

We wake up bright and early, eat breakfast, pack up, and un-ass the area before the workmen show up.

This day is different than any other day because we actually have a destination in mind when we start out. I have a good friend who lives in Conifer CO, which is about 30 miles off the CDR track up US 285. So our plan is to follow the track north to 285, and head for my friend’s house where we can do a bit of work on the bikes, remember my fender?

It is still back there.

So we head out being sure to close the gate behind us, we want to be sure we secure the camp site and keep out any undesirables.

We didn’t take a lot of pics this day as the riding was so nice, and when I am having fun, I often forget to take pictures.

The day’s terrain can be summed up in two short videos.

Riding through nice mountain roads with lots of trees.

Or riding in the planes on graded gravel.

On with the report.

From the camp site we continue north through Carnero Pass.

We get to HWY 114, we go west on pavement for a bit, then dirt west and north to Doyleville.

Just so you know I call anything paved a highway (HWY). I have noticed in other reports some guys only use the term Highway for a big road, or interstate/autobahn type road. If it is paved to me it is a highway, I grew up in a small town.

This was all good riding, here is a longer video of the road right out of the camp heading up to the pass.

After we get up to US 50 we head east to Sargents for gas.

I am not sure if the CDR GPS tracks go pavement through Monarch pass to Salida, but that is the way we went.

I have had the pleasure of riding my Street bike with sticky tires through Monarch pass, and man is that fun. Here is a longer video of me on the G650 going east on 50 up Monarch pass. It is fun, but don’t dog me for going slow, I am on a loaded down dual sport far from home. So I tend to take it easy as I can bust myself up close to home any time.

This is a 7 minute video.

Out of Salida we head north east through the San Isabel national Forest towards hartsel. We met fellow ADV inmate Hipster on the track, and stopped and talked with him for a few minutes.

He is a real nice guy on a KTM 640 Enduro. We stopped and chatted for a while, swapping some info about what we could all expect as we made it farther up/down the track, then took off. Nice to meet you Hipster!

North of Salida you can expect more of this beauty.

And north of Hartsel it looks a lot like this.

Once to HWY 285 we head east to Conifer, get rained on (I really need a front fender), find my friend’s house, and relax.

My friend John has a pretty nice shop, and a lot of hobbies to go with it.

He is converting the rear suspension on his scout from leaf spring to coil spring. Needless to say, he didn’t have a lot of positive comments about my fender bracket, so we just drilled some holes, used the KTM bushings, and bolted it to the bottom of the lower triple clamp. I also tossed the fender bag in the pannier as I think that played a role in stressing the fender.

Kevin cranked some preload onto his rear shock, which helped his bike's handling a lot.

I had noticed my fan was running a lot, so we use a hole saw to make some air holes in the back of my fender, that did help.

Note that without the fender, my fan rarely came one.

After the issues with the bikes were sorted, we went out for Mexican food and Margaritas, and that night beers around the fire pit. Sorry no pics, I always forget to take pics.

Another great day comes to a close.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #65
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
That was the GDR trail and an Airport we came that way. It was a fun trail to ride.

Here are our tracks on the map. I though it might be jail time for us. LOL

Keep the report coming I will post up mine soon.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #66
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

I like the Airport Runway mark on the GPS tracks, freaking cool!

We discussed going up the plowed road, but we didn't know if it was some farmer's land now or what the deal was, so we went around. Thanks for letting us know what the deal is.

Looking forward to seeing your report Trailace!
2011 North up the CDR

Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #67
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 5

Man was it nice to sleep in a good bed, my sleep number is 35, not sure if that matters or not but I slept well. Kevin was in the next room on a futon, It is good to know which room to pick.

We had some eggs, coffee, and packed up and got ready to hit the road.

She looks a lot better with her fender back on, don’t she.

Back down 285 and north towards Breckenridge.

We stopped at Boreas Pass to take a couple pics and look at the map.

I wonder how they got this thing up here

While we are looking at the map Kevin said since we are going close to Dillon he wanted to stop for a bit, as that is where he got married.

Then Kevin proceeded to tell me his first wedding anniversary was next week, so it was pretty cool that he would be this close to where he got married on his first anniversary.

Now, if you didn’t pick, that up, on Kevin’s first wedding anniversary, he is not at home eating the cake top out of the freezer, exchanging gifts made out of paper, or any of that other stuff, he is riding the CDR, his wife Linda is pretty cool, huh!

So we stopped in Dillon at the exact place where he got married, here is a reenactment.

I think they drank some post ceremony champagne here, at least that is all he told me they did.

It is a beautiful place.

Back on the track north to Parshall, west to Radium, and north to Steamboat Springs. Lots of good riding through here and beautiful scenery.

We got to a good section and my gopro was full, so we stopped and I deleted a couple huge files where I inadvertently left it on. The view was nice.

I love Aspen trees.

A bit farther north is where the water crossing is.

It does not look like much here, but it was pretty deep, I came around a corner and it surprised me, put on the binders and waited a bit for Kevin. He had never done a water crossing like this before, and this is about the deepest I have been in. He volunteered to go first, after we scoped it out he went to the left, but got pushed a bit downstream, so I went in and lifted his front wheel over and he headed out.

I wish I would have put the camera closer to the river.

I pulled off my jacket and tank bag to protect my electronics, and took my turn.

All the walking through the water had filled my boots.

2011 North up the CDR

AZ-Twin screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 09:39 PM
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #68
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

We stopped in Steamboat Springs at Staples to pick up an external USB drive to store videos on, and headed north to Steamboat Lake for camping.

Kevin picked up firewood for five bucks, a Lincoln gets a lot more firewood in CO than it does in AZ.

I charged two cameras, two phones, and a laptop.

We ate MREs, drank beer, transferred videos, and celebrated another wonderful day on the road.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #69
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Day 6 22 Jul 11

We are well into the trip now, I am sleeping better at night (might be the beer), and getting used to Kevin waking me up at sunrise so we can get on the road. The goal is to hit the trail as early as possible and make good time. Oatmeal and instant coffee, load up the bike, hit the start button and click click click………………… awwww crap.

Let’s look back to last night’s activities. I distinctly remember Kevin telling me “you are going to kill your battery charging all that stuff” to which I responded, “no way, you can’t kill a bike battery charging a couple cameras.” Well, it turns out you can kill a bike battery by charging two cameras, two phones, and a laptop. Honestly, I think the laptop is what put me over the edge.

So we discuss various methods of starting the bike. After several failed bump start attempts I ask Kevin to ride around and find a steep hill, I remember riding up a steep hill coming into the campground. He returns, I have my tow strap ready and he pulls me to the hill (which is not that steep) so I pop the clutch while he is towing me and we successfully start the bike. I hate being towed on a bike.

So much for an early start, as we killed close to an hour. However, now we have tow start experience, a skill which we will utilize again.

The worst part of the whole deal is I did not have film rolling during the tow start.

So on with the story.

The remaining bit of CO is beautiful. CO is a very pretty state, with nice dirt roads!

And Colorado needs a leash law. This gang jumped out in front of me and I herded them all the way to the bottom of the hill. Seriously, the farmer must ride a thumper, as when they saw me coming they rolled down hill like they knew what they were doing.

As soon as we cross into Wyoming the road goes to shit.

I had been warned by a friend of a big sink hole in Wyoming, not sure if this is that one or not, but it was worth stopping to take a pic of.

We get off 70 onto a dirt road that will take us north to Rawlins. It is marked closed for logging.

After a brief chat and look at the map we say piss on it and go on, we get to a barrier and ride around it. A bit farther north we come to the loggers who aren’t doing much. I talk to one of the guys and in some native dialect, or perhaps a unique language known only to loggers, I believe he tells me that their operation is only a going on for a couple hundred feet. No shit, I could hardly understand a word he said, but sure enough, just a bit up the path and we ride around the other barricade stopping south bound traffic, not that there is much traffic out here.

We head north on nice dirt towards Rawlins. We get into the planes and see lots of wildlife

In Rawlins we get fuel, take a quick break for a snack and top off the water supply.

These Wyoming folks have some pretty strict rules.

Without spitting my chew in the urinal we head north on 287, then leave the paved road and head off into the Great Divide Basin. This was a pretty cool area, we rode for a long time without seeing another person, almost as desolate as NM. It was windy and dry, and about four hours of this.

They got lots of juice out here for the oil fields, but this would be a better place for a wind farm.

2011 North up the CDR

Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #70
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

We roll into Atlantic City Hungry and hot.

We see this little place and we stop to see if they have food.

I walk in and two guys at the bar turn around and look at me like I fell out of space. They look at my boots and pants, then look me in the eye. I said, “yeah, I know, I’m dressed kind of funny, does this place sell food” One guy said “yeah, what are you doing?” I told him we are on dual sport bikes riding the CDR, to which he replied “dual sport bikes, that is my passion” and he darted out the door to check out the bikes.

This was a pretty cool place that served good burgers and cold drinks, and the lady that ran the place was real nice.

There was a kid running around, he was about 5 years old. Of all the people on the trip who asked what that thing on my helmet was (the go pro) this little dude walks up to me and says “you got a camera on your helmet, that’s cool” just as we were about to leave.

If you stop in Atlantic City, I recommend it as a lunch stop.

A bit of pavement going south and we are back on dirt heading north to Boulder and Pinedale. More great Wyoming dirt.

We gas up in boulder and start thinking about a place to camp. Kevin points out The Narrows near New Fork Lake, just off 352 north of Pinedale and we decide to shoot for there. It was a nice place with lots of skeeters.

After a long day on the Wyoming prairie a few cold beers and a fire hit the spot.

This is some good shit!

Another amazing day.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #71
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,031
Bout time you got going on this report. Thanks. Did yopu need extra gas between Rawlins and Boulder? I'll be rolling through there the other direction next Tuesday.

The water crossing was entertaining. It looks like you want to cross upstream of the path.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #72
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Bout time you got going on this report. Thanks. Did yopu need extra gas between Rawlins and Boulder? I'll be rolling through there the other direction next Tuesday.

The water crossing was entertaining. It looks like you want to cross upstream of the path.
Sorry, been dragging my feet on this ride report, been real busy around the house, I need to get my priorities straight.

Between Rawlins and Boulder was around 220 miles if I remember correctly. I dumped both my gas cans in along the trip, and I can't remember if my light was on or not. Kevin has a 4Gal Clark Tank, he was on reserve but had not dumped his spare fuel in.

As for the water crossing, I am glad it was entertaining, that is nice to hear, as that is really the point of the video and ride report. Thanks!

I believe the rule for that one is stay to the left when going north, but Kevin went a bit too far to the left. I walked around it it, and parts were mid thigh deep. I didn't look around up stream, but it did look like there was another loop on the GPS farther north, perhaps it is not so deep there.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #73
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I was there a week after AZ and the main crossing was still the way to go.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #74
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
The Narrows at New Fork Lake

We have camped three different times at the Narrows. Love that place.
I know you didn't have time, but if you fish New Fork River, where it comes into the lake, it's full of Brookies and Brown trout. Great hiking, and Mt biking.
There used to be a tree house made completely out of twine down on campsite #10, I think. (on the left at the bottom of the hill.) all three of my kids spent the night up in that tree house. Someone must have spent days, and miles of twine weaving it into the four trees that held it up. The humming birds always woke the kids in the morning.. Sorry to ramble, but we really had a blast at that campground, no one else I've ever heard has stayed there.. Moose often visited the campground also..
I also remember a lot of washboard on the gravel roads going in and out of that place.. Miles of it..

Great RR, by the way. Thanks for posting.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #75
AZ-Twin OP
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildwoodMOCruiser View Post
We have camped three different times at the Narrows. Love that place.
I know you didn't have time, but if you fish New Fork River, where it comes into the lake, it's full of Brookies and Brown trout. Great hiking, and Mt biking.
There used to be a tree house made completely out of twine down on campsite #10, I think. (on the left at the bottom of the hill.) all three of my kids spent the night up in that tree house. Someone must have spent days, and miles of twine weaving it into the four trees that held it up. The humming birds always woke the kids in the morning.. Sorry to ramble, but we really had a blast at that campground, no one else I've ever heard has stayed there.. Moose often visited the campground also..
I also remember a lot of washboard on the gravel roads going in and out of that place.. Miles of it..

Great RR, by the way. Thanks for posting.

Jeff

That was a cool place to camp, lots of skeeters but that comes with water. I missed the tree house, would liked to have seen that.

Thanks
2011 North up the CDR