ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #1
CityClip OP
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
WV Trails Recommendation

Hey FFs,

I'm taking two days off this week to escape the disgusting DC heat and do some riding and camping with my brother in WV or thereabouts.

I'll be on my GS and he'll trailer the XR out. He's never been on a geared bike before, so there's going to be a lot of beginner work for him.

I thought that some nice forest service trails would be best with a place to park our truck and pitch our tent. The XR does have a tag on it, but he doesn't have a motorcycle license.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,289
Tell him to get a permit or a licence. You got two free days, just long enough to sit in line at the DC DMV.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityClip
Hey FFs,

I'm taking two days off this week to escape the disgusting DC heat and do some riding and camping with my brother in WV or thereabouts.

I'll be on my GS and he'll trailer the XR out. He's never been on a geared bike before, so there's going to be a lot of beginner work for him.

I thought that some nice forest service trails would be best with a place to park our truck and pitch our tent. The XR does have a tag on it, but he doesn't have a motorcycle license.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Clip,
The Forest Service does require a fully licensed vehicle for use of their roads. But if you don't do something stupid or have an accident, you probably won't be stopped in either the Monongahela or the George Washington NF.

How self supporting do you want to camp? There is camping at Seneca Rocks that is right next to everthing (food, gas, etc.) Or there is camping at Laurel Forks campground deep in the Monongahela, about 15 miles west of Spruce Knob Mtn. It is at least 20 miles of forest roads and dirt from any paved road and offers miles and miles of easy dirt/gravel riding in any direction.

For easy riding, staying in the National Forest, I'd recommend the Monongahela. It is 20 miles west of Franklin, just off Rt 33. Runs north and south for a very long way. Spruce Knob is a fun ride to the top too. Highest point in West Virginia.

You can see a ride report on the area here

Have fun.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Clip,
The Forest Service does require a fully licensed vehicle for use of their roads. But if you don't do something stupid or have an accident, you probably won't be stopped in either the Monongahela or the George Washington NF.

How self supporting do you want to camp? There is camping at Seneca Rocks that is right next to everthing (food, gas, etc.) Or there is camping at Laurel Forks campground deep in the Monongahela, about 15 miles west of Spruce Knob Mtn. It is at least 20 miles of forest roads and dirt from any paved road and offers miles and miles of easy dirt/gravel riding in any direction.

For easy riding, staying in the National Forest, I'd recommend the Monongahela. It is 20 miles west of Franklin, just off Rt 33. Runs north and south for a very long way. Spruce Knob is a fun ride to the top too. Highest point in West Virginia.

You can see a ride report on the area here

Have fun.

just what I was thinking

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
cliffhanger
hasbeen

Oddometer: 365
So where did you end up? :ear

Did you make it to WV? I live in the northern end of the Mon forest and it's a blast.
Neal
cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #6
CityClip OP
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
We did indeed go to the recommended area. However, we had some problems. My fuel pump quit on my 12 right when we arrived in Franklin, WV. After some phone calls, and some doubts on my part, I loaded the GS into the back of my Ford Ranger and drove it, my XR, my brother and all our gear back to Maryland. After I got it fixed the next morning we headed straight back for Franklin. We knocked around the Seneca Rocks area and headed up to Seneca Knob. The XR was waaay too tall for him, something we should have figured out before we went riding... Anyway, it was kind of a bust, but it is a dualsport paradise. I'm heading back in a few weeks for some two upping with my girlfriend. I think it's my favorite area in the region.