Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #1996
freefallen
down with gravity

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
If you read the ride report you will find that you are incorrect in this assumption. the only country where we are not liked is France.

Yankee dog
you're wrong, my friend. I'm not talking about the rest of the world - I don't know. but being a russian, I know how much Russians don't like Americans. again, in the remote locations, like Siberia, it could be fine. but in Moscow you better say you're from UK.
Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #1997
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallen View Post
you're wrong, my friend. I'm not talking about the rest of the world - I don't know. but being a russian, I know how much Russians don't like Americans. again, in the remote locations, like Siberia, it could be fine. but in Moscow you better say you're from UK.
Do you regard Americans and American government as one in the same, or do really not like the people?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #1998
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
And in France we don't like any foreigners with stupid questions .... !
All the others are welcome ... ... Even americans who want to check if we actually eat snails and frogs ...

(and girls ... )
Now what is wrong with eating Frogs and Snails and Crawfish and good stuff like that? Oh , I forgot, I'm Cajun and we eat anything ( almost ).

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #1999
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
I didn't want to start WWIII over that question. Just curious what Doug's experience was. I know Americans are not like because of what our Commander and Chief does. Simple questions really. I know that the Middle East is a No-No useless you want to end up like those hikers in the News! I am not nieve and I don't think that the World hates us. I also don't think that that question is out of line or stupid. It's a legitimate question. People see American as easy pay days. But I see that I have hit a nerve with a few people, for whatever reason that may be. I am also not saying that only American get robbed or harassed in different countries. America is as bad as anywhere when it comes to foreigners being robbed or harassed for being from the "Wrong Part Of The World" If someone was to ask me, "Hey, Do (insert your nationality here) get picked on in (insert city name here) for being who they are?" If the answer was "Yes" I knew it, I would try to pull the wool over their eyes!! Tell them how it is!
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #2000
cnf
m00k

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Do you regard Americans and American government as one in the same, or do really not like the people?
I think you got it right, there. As far as I know a lot of people around the world don't like "America" as a nation and as a government. Doesn't mean those same people have a problem with individuals they meet, American of not.

America or the US is an entity, mostly known for the actions its government take.

Americans are people, just like everyone else.
cnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #2001
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
I know that the Middle East is a No-No useless you want to end up like those hikers in the News!

You REALLY need to read Doug's ride report from last year. Your opinion of the "dangerous" middle east will (hopefully) be swayed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578506
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #2002
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
You REALLY need to read Doug's ride report from last year. Your opinion of the "dangerous" middle east will (hopefully) be swayed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578506

Thanks for the link, I will check that out for sure.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #2003
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,570
Jeez, im sittin at the philly airport, and there all kinds of arguments over who hates americans.
for the record, I never tell anyone im from somewhere else. If for some reason people would not like me for being from the US, oh well.
im not going to lie or kiss their ass to make em like me.
if you are too scared to be honest, its best just to stay home.

BUT, its rare that I have been treated badly just because of where I came from.
yes, it has happened in france a few times, but mostly around paris.
its happened a couple times in germany.
I have friends in both counties, especially germany.

Its never happened in muslim countries including iraq. I haven't gotten into iran yet, but I expect it is the same. People in russia are always nice, even moscow, never had a problem. In fact, all of the former ussr has been great.

I think 99% of how people percieve you, is based on how you act towards them.

A smile goes a long way

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 02:57 PM
rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #2004
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
Jeez, im sittin at the philly airport, and there all kinds of arguments over who hates americans.
for the record, I never tell anyone im from somewhere else. If for some reason people would not like me for being from the US, oh well.

Its never happened in muslim countries including iraq. I haven't gotten into iran yet, but I expect it is the same. People in russia are always nice, even moscow, never had a problem. In fact, all of the former ussr has been great.

8 think 99% of how people percieve you, is based on how you act towards them.

A smile goes a long way

Doug
Interesting comments Doug

In my experience the mere fact that, once you get out of western/central europe, a person is travelling on a motorcycle is usually made welcome anywhere (irrespective of who they are, their nationality, or the colour of their skin). Not sure why - but i does seem to be something to do with the fact that they turned in the middle of wherever on a motorcycle. And you have travelled a long way to visit their country.

Even if the locals are 'not sure' about you - like you say a smile goes a long way towards breaking the ice and making friends.

Central/Western Europe can be a different matter - I am british and have never had any problems in France.

Many thanks for taking us on your travels Doug, hope to be able to meet you one day !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #2005
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
If for some reason people would not like me for being from the US, oh well.
Honorable way to live ....
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #2006
Yannick
Celtic Neighbour

Oddometer: 57
Yes me too, hope to meet you one day, Doug. If you actually make your WW2 tour, as I'm really interested in this part of history (for many reasons I can't tell here), as I'm leaving in Brittany very near the Normandy limit, I could welcome you at home and eventually be your guide for some interesting sites. The desembarking (D-day) occured not far from here, and we still have some places stayed as it was then, and some museums to visit (especialy the para-troopers museum in Ste Mère Eglise), and some formers german submarines bases in Brittany.

For Johnny 55, I didn't want nor to start WW3 (France and the US have allways been allies through the centuries). But just wanted to answer to put that clear, and to say that in France the entire people is not a all anti-american. Just a little point to clear-up, when Doug says he had some problems around Paris, I'm not very surprised ... I mean, that in the rest of France we don't really like parisians, because they think that outside Paris, we are all ... rednecks. But then, compared to them I'm really proud to be a redneck. Paris is not France, and France is not only Paris, fortunately !

Welcome to all riders and bikers in our country, ride safe, chill, and have pleasure.
For those who would like to discover Brittany or Normandy, don't hesitate to contact me.
Yannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #2007
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:

A smile goes a long way

Doug

The honest truth, right from the horses mount. That is the kind of answer I was after, a genuine and honest answer. Thanks Doug. Great RR!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #2008
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 709
To my, Chief and Commander, I salute you!!!

Quote:

A smile goes a long way

Doug
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #2009
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Well, as a Californian I'm used to Americans hating me because im from California and as a SOUTHERN Californian I am also fine with Northern Californians hating me also............Southern Californians are the most hated Americans on earth.
and damn proud of it!

TallRob screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 06:09 PM
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #2010
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
Well, as a Californian I'm used to Americans hating me because im from California and as a SOUTHERN Californian I am also fine with Northern Californians hating me also............Southern Californians are the most hated Americans on earth.
and damn proud of it!

shut up, you weirdo!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote