Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #106
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Blue sky dawn.

26 miles. Test ride a success.

Quiet(er). I'm not detecting abnormal cam chain noises. No leaks that I can find.

I did the JoelWisman method of bleeding the radiator last night. I don't know if you'll read this Joel but thanks!

After the test ride, left her running until the fan came on. Let it run for an additional minute and the fan cut off before I turned the bike off.

Checked the oil. Still sitting at 1/4 dipstick. I am hesitant to add any more considering I loaded 3.4 liters. I waited five minutes and checked it again seeing only nominal increase in level. I'll add small amounts over the next few days and see what happens.

I declare victory!

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 11:43 AM
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #107
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
I`d like to add the Suzuki DRZ to the Cam chain tensioner gone bad..... It is a well know fact to us.....DRZ riders.... that the spring exerts too much pressure over time....... and the manual one is just right.... I installed one on mine....two years ago.... have not have to touch it since.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #108
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Great Job DieselBoy !!!

Did you determine how much the stock chain stretched over the new chain?

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 10:01 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #109
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #110
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Dieselboy, I'm looking through specs but I need to also know the width of the chain -the measurement of the thickness of the stack of side plates the pins are holding together. And just to confirm those pins are round, rather than an oblong or noticeably triangular shape, right?

Or if you're bored, you can snoop through here:
http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/...ilentChain.pdf

http://chain-guide.com/toc.html

Bayner screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 10:34 PM
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #111
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
On the issue of cam chain tensioners, I have a manual one installed on my KLX, but it replaced a spring loaded ratchet type. This one is basically oil pressurized. Anyone know if this is a dead end galley?

I do know that my bike has never hinted at chain rattle and the first time I hear it, it will get a new tensioner.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #112
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
On the issue of cam chain tensioners, I have a manual one installed on my KLX, but it replaced a spring loaded ratchet type. This one is basically oil pressurized. Anyone know if this is a dead end galley?

I do know that my bike has never hinted at chain rattle and the first time I hear it, it will get a new tensioner.
It doesn't appear to be a dead end galley....looks like it is along the route of oil getting to the top end of the engine.

I think the way the tensioner is designed it that there is a (light) spring in the design which is then augmented by oil pressure, and some kind of a check valve...
I do get the rattle now everytime I start the bike after leaving it overnight it stops with in a few seconds as soon as oil pressure builds. I wonder if a new tensioner would fix that... I kinda doubt it.... or maybe my checkvalve is leaking down?
For $50 I may go get a new one and see ...

Anyway here's the best picture I can find:
Attached Images

JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #113
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I do get the rattle now everytime I start the bike after leaving it overnight it stops with in a few seconds as soon as oil pressure builds.
Same here. But it has occurred for months, maybe years, in my case. I manage the issue by not whacking the throttle on initial start-up and forgetting about for the rest of the day.

But, if you change the adjuster and it helps .... maybe you can do mine.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #114
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
The issue with oil flow was the thought of a manual tensioner blocking it.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #115
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
OK. First, congrats, Dieselboy. How did you get 90000 miles on that bike? Is it European or something? But thanks eversomuch for the complete photographed breakdown. Printin the whole thing out and it's going into my file, just in case that day comes for me. (Long way from those miles as of yet!)
The thing we're talkin about now is the whole tensioner issue. For many moons now mine starts with the rattle then disappears as the oil takes over. Within a second or so. This kinda indicates to me that the spring is not doing its job. Haven't had a look at it but if it is a 'light spring like people say and I am suspecting then it has probably lost its tension already due to heat and cooling and the like. Wondering if swapping it out for something a little heavier might ease that problem? But, frankly, as long as the oil pressure side of the gizmo is doing its part it probably doesn't really matter. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #116
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Dieselboy, I'm looking through specs but I need to also know the width of the chain -the measurement of the thickness of the stack of side plates the pins are holding together. And just to confirm those pins are round, rather than an oblong or noticeably triangular shape, right?

Or if you're bored, you can snoop through here:
http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/...ilentChain.pdf

http://chain-guide.com/toc.html

EDIT: new digital caliper reads 8.83

Round pin

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 11:43 AM
Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #117
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Thanks.
I'm also going to need the width between the to outer 'guide' plates. (Basically the dimension the gear occupies between the chain sides). Still not having much luck though...

Bayner screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 10:10 PM
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #118
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
OK. First, congrats, Dieselboy. How did you get 90000 miles on that bike? Is it European or something? But thanks eversomuch for the complete photographed breakdown. Printin the whole thing out and it's going into my file, just in case that day comes for me. (Long way from those miles as of yet!)
The thing we're talkin about now is the whole tensioner issue. For many moons now mine starts with the rattle then disappears as the oil takes over. Within a second or so. This kinda indicates to me that the spring is not doing its job. Haven't had a look at it but if it is a 'light spring like people say and I am suspecting then it has probably lost its tension already due to heat and cooling and the like. Wondering if swapping it out for something a little heavier might ease that problem? But, frankly, as long as the oil pressure side of the gizmo is doing its part it probably doesn't really matter. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Thanks.

The mileage is from riding, a lot.

No, it is a US model from the first boat.

The consensus is that your rattle is from the tensioner losing its oil. The rattle goes away after the bike reloads on startup
Mine no longer rattles at startup. I think either a manual adjust or a reservoir would do well for us. Hopefully someone will produce one soon. My advice prior to this job would be earplugs. My advice now is buy a new tensioner.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 11:45 PM
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #119
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Thanks.
I'm also going to need the width between the to outer 'guide' plates. (Basically the dimension the gear occupies between the chain sides). Still not having much luck though...
7.45 between the outside plates.

EDIT: bought a new digital caliper today and slapped it on the links: 7.29-7.35. IDK which is closer.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 06:16 PM
Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #120
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
tensioner noise...

I found what I was looking for ... Joel's comment on the noise:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=19
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote