Old 10-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #346
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Mr. Bracket,

Very sweet! One quick question...o

What's the angle of the main pivot from vertical, and how/why did you choose it?

(I guess that's two questions!)
It is leaned forward 10 Degrees. It came to that after some testing, the very first trailer I built had it leaned back towards the rear, thinking it should be like the headtube of the motorcycle.. That was not good at all, it caused the trailer to lean the opposite way of the bike while turning. It worked fine going straight, but felt waaaay wrong in a turn. I then modified the height of the pivot, thus changing the angle that it pivoted. It kept handling better the more I moved it forward, and the 10 Degree forward seemed to be a sweet spot that handled the best. It does very with the amount of weight you have on the trailer as well. With a very light trailer, you can lean the angle even further forward, it causes the trailer to lean even more. However, when you start adding weight to the trailer, you can feel the trailer more in the turns. It almost makes it harder to raise up out of the lean on tighter corners. 10 Degrees seems to be a good balance for most situations.
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #347
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 755
I have read alot about the angle of the pivot as well. It may help with the handling but I have heard that another reason for tilting the pivot is that it helps keep the trailer from falling over during slow speed maneuvers and high articulation angles. This makes the load tilt toward the front of the bike and not fall over with axle pivot. I hope that I explained this well enough.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #348
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I have read alot about the angle of the pivot as well. It may help with the handling but I have heard that another reason for tilting the pivot is that it helps keep the trailer from falling over during slow speed maneuvers and high articulation angles. This makes the load tilt toward the front of the bike and not fall over with axle pivot. I hope that I explained this well enough.
Mr. Bracket and Duane, exactly! I had started my design with a vertical pivot and it was suggested by someone here on advrider to tilt it forward for the exact reasons you guys both stated. I came up with a theoretical 7 degrees. I say theoretical because I never built a working prototype. I made a plywood mockup and priced the work to be done at an aluminum fabricator shop, but the cost was prohibitive. I need to buy myself a welder and do it up myself in steel. And another 20 or 30 hours a week of free time would help, too!

Here's a link to my mockup earlier in this thread...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=144

Improve your cosmic karma here!

ag_streak screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 02:53 PM
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #349
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

As far as pricing goes, I need to find good sources for the wheel, shock, and a fender before I can figure out any pricing details.

I put a few miles on this version and still really like it, so I felt it was worth powder coating and showing off a bit.

Here is a pic of the "basic" trailer, naked for all to see....

Here is a pic with a Rubbermaid ActionPacker Tub.

And a couple pics hooked to a bike.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #350
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,178
Looks awesome!

So what's the axle-to-axle distance?

If I may humbly suggest, with the intent of constructive feedback...

The joint where the main frame rail meets the vertical pivot tube may require a gusset or triangulation or something. With the top of the pivot tube unsupported, there would be a bending force there.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #351
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Looks very nice!

Is that shock and spring actually light enough to absorb some of the bouncing? My hardest part so far is finding a shock with a light enough spring for 75# or less.

[QUOTE=MrBracket;17074834]As far as pricing goes, I need to find good sources for the wheel, shock, and a fender before I can figure out any pricing details.

I put a few miles on this version and still really like it, so I felt it was worth powder coating and showing off a bit.

Here is a pic of the "basic" trailer, naked for all to see....

Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #352
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
The joint where the main frame rail meets the vertical pivot tube may require a gusset or triangulation or something. With the top of the pivot tube unsupported, there would be a bending force there.
I agree.

How about an upper hoop from the pivot back to the shock mount? That would limit what you could put on the cargo deck a bit, but how much bigger than an ActionPacker would anyone go?

You could even make it a bolt-on option...
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #353
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree, it would be stronger with a frame member connecting the top of the steering pivot tube with the top of the shock mount. That would take all cantilevered members out of the main frame. I will add something like what you have mocked up if it turns out to be an issue. The main frame tube and the steering pivot tube are both Cro-Moly tubing. The steering pivot tube is inserted all the way through the main frame tube and welded at the top and bottom. Again, I agree there is a huge bending force at the intersection of those two frame members, I just think the frame members are up to the task. As you mentioned, adding that extra frame member would limit what you could put on the frame. I'd like the basic trailer to be easy to customize for people to haul what ever they need. Obviously, I would not reccomend hauling a huge amount of weight, staying under 100 pounds would be best.

The shock actually works very well. On the first trailer I made I used a mountain bike shock. Like using the MTB wheel, I figured that the trailer was light enough to utilize the MTB shock. I was wrong on both.. The small motorcycle shock is very stiff by itself, I cannot compress it at all with my hands. However, the mechanical advantage that the wheel has over the shock is about 7 to 1 the way I have it mounted. I weigh 250 pounds, I can sit on the rear end of the action packer container and almost bottom out the shock if I bounce up and down a little. On the road and trail it soaks up the bumps amazingly well. I will try and get a video made and posted up very soon so you can see it in action.

I have found that I need to lengthen the trailer a couple inches. When you put the ActionPacker tub on the trailer and mount it behind a Dual Sport bike with a stockish rear license plate/blinker holder there is not enough room to allow the trailer to pivot up while riding a wheelie or perhaps going up a short steep hill. So the next one will be a little longer.

I've loaned out the trailer pictured to the guys at ProCycle to get some feedback. So far they are loving it! They have used it to haul a motorcycle frame across town to get sandblasted. They have used it to deliver a few oversize gas tanks. One of the guys took it home for the weekend and plans to use it to go grocery shopping and run other errands. They even added an LED tail light on the back and wired it into one of their bikes. I asked them to use the crap out of it and not be careful with it. If it breaks, I learn something! It appears I'm going to have a hard time getting it back though, they really like the trailer.....
Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #354
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree, it would be stronger with a frame member connecting the top of the steering pivot tube with the top of the shock mount. That would take all cantilevered members out of the main frame. I will add something like what you have mocked up if it turns out to be an issue. The main frame tube and the steering pivot tube are both Cro-Moly tubing. The steering pivot tube is inserted all the way through the main frame tube and welded at the top and bottom. Again, I agree there is a huge bending force at the intersection of those two frame members, I just think the frame members are up to the task. As you mentioned, adding that extra frame member would limit what you could put on the frame. I'd like the basic trailer to be easy to customize for people to haul what ever they need. Obviously, I would not reccomend hauling a huge amount of weight, staying under 100 pounds would be best.

The shock actually works very well. On the first trailer I made I used a mountain bike shock. Like using the MTB wheel, I figured that the trailer was light enough to utilize the MTB shock. I was wrong on both.. The small motorcycle shock is very stiff by itself, I cannot compress it at all with my hands. However, the mechanical advantage that the wheel has over the shock is about 7 to 1 the way I have it mounted. I weigh 250 pounds, I can sit on the rear end of the action packer container and almost bottom out the shock if I bounce up and down a little. On the road and trail it soaks up the bumps amazingly well. I will try and get a video made and posted up very soon so you can see it in action.

I have found that I need to lengthen the trailer a couple inches. When you put the ActionPacker tub on the trailer and mount it behind a Dual Sport bike with a stockish rear license plate/blinker holder there is not enough room to allow the trailer to pivot up while riding a wheelie or perhaps going up a short steep hill. So the next one will be a little longer.

I've loaned out the trailer pictured to the guys at ProCycle to get some feedback. So far they are loving it! They have used it to haul a motorcycle frame across town to get sandblasted. They have used it to deliver a few oversize gas tanks. One of the guys took it home for the weekend and plans to use it to go grocery shopping and run other errands. They even added an LED tail light on the back and wired it into one of their bikes. I asked them to use the crap out of it and not be careful with it. If it breaks, I learn something! It appears I'm going to have a hard time getting it back though, they really like the trailer.....

Maybe look into quarter midget shocks. lots to choose from
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #355
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
Hey Guys, I'm so glad to see the thread active again. I'm still pulling my homebuilt monowheel.
7000 miles, 3 tires, 2 inner tubes, 1 brake light, 1 repair weld job on the tounge pivot point.

Some bits to think about.

I built the brake lights out of 1157 LED brake lights and they work great. I don't have turn signals though.

I have been running my trailer for about 5 years now without plates. I haul stuff on it all the time, from my fire gear for work to my dog in his crate.

I have never been questioned about it or pulled over for it. I have had MANY people and police officers look at it, ask if I built it and tell me what a great job i did.

The verticle pivot pin is under tension. It's a bolt and is tightened with a lock nut. it follows the bike so much better when it's not freely moving.

I used a 16 inch wheel on the first trailer and will use a 20 inch on the next. I drilled a small hole in the hub and i use a neddle greaser on my grease gun to grease the hub, then wrap some tape over the hole.

I balanced the trailer tire with some flat washers and duct tape. Yeah, yeah, it's a redneck thing, but it works very well. The tire runs very smooth.

I run the trailer mostly on the road. 32 miles one way to work. I've run it to 80 mph for 10-15 mins at a time. I can haul 35-40 ponds and not even worry about it. I would not reccommend more than about 60 lbs on a home built, especailly one with a single spine. Just my .02 cents.

I started thinking about a trailer because I couldn't afford panniers. I thought I could build a trailer pretty easy. And I was partially right. There were some hickups along the way and I had to leave it along side the road one day, but all is well now.

My pics and comments start at post 126 on page 9. If anyone has any questions at all, I would love too talk. I do enjoy sharing ideas.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "There is no way that will work!" or "Are you kidding me, a bicycle tire. That won't work." I just smile and say "Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking".

Good luck to all of you crazy homebuilt monowheel guys.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel

klrbaer screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 01:24 PM
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #356
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

KLRBAER, glad to hear you've had such good luck with your trailer. I thought for sure the bicycle wheel would hold up for me as well, but it just couldn't take the off road abuse. I imagine your's is working so well becuase, as you mentioned, you mostly use it on the road.

I ride a dual sport that is mostly a dirt bike. Unlike your KLR, my bike isn't that great for the road, it can do it, but it's not that comfortable at it. That being said, my goal for a trailer was one that can be used mostly offroad, as that is the riding I enjoy. My trailer needs to able to handle single track riding and not make me slow down all that much. My vision is to ride into a camp spot, set up camp, ditch the trailer, and play around on my lightweight dirt bike. Sure, I could do the same with saddle bags and racks and such. However, the trailer comes off by removing one bolt (no tools required) and I'm back to the lightweight nimble dirt bike that I love.

We all have different requirements of our gear, if someone else happens to share my requirements, I'd enjoy building a trailer for them too.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #357
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
[QUOTE=MrBracket;17080986].....to allow the trailer to pivot up while riding a wheelie.....QUOTE]

I must confess I never once thought about the complications that could arise from riding a wheelie while hauling a trailer.

Not once.

Shame on me!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #358
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
As far as pricing goes, I need to find good sources for the wheel, shock, and a fender before I can figure out any pricing details.
Any plans to make it for different bikes? I'd be VERY interested in one for a KLR650

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #359
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I must confess I never once thought about the complications that could arise from riding a wheelie while hauling a trailer.

Not once.

Shame on me!
OK, Joeybones.... LMAO... Perhaps you might want to pop a small wheelie to get your front wheel over and obsticle in your way while riding down the trail... Yes, Shame on you!

Quote:
Any plans to make it for different bikes? I'd be VERY interested in one for a KLR650
Wlfman, I will indeed make a hitch setup to work on the KLR650, it is one of the more popular Dual Sport Bikes out there. It will be a little while however, I want to develop a few other accerories first.

I started revising my website a little, check it out at www.moto-mule.com It is still just for information, I'm not selling anything yet.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #360
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Wlfman, I will indeed make a hitch setup to work on the KLR650, it is one of the more popular Dual Sport Bikes out there. It will be a little while however, I want to develop a few other accerories first.

I started revising my website a little, check it out at www.moto-mule.com It is still just for information, I'm not selling anything yet.
Cool

If you need a KLR650 tester I'd be willing to be a Guinea Pig

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote