ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #106
nytrashman
old and in the way
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: westchester co. NY
Oddometer: 576
i just noticed there is no pic on there website. they are made from neoprene, the same material thAT wet suits are made from. they attach with an adhesive strip on one side that attaches to your OEM grip, then you wrap it around and it attaches to itself with velcro. i will take a pic or two of what they look like on my bike tomorrow and post it.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #107
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bmwgsrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Amarillo
Oddometer: 297
Lots of different suggestions on grips for a thicker grip which I am looking for to help see if that solves my hand from hurting...

I am also looking for something that will prevent the grips from being extremely cold in the single digit numbers... is there anything that will prevent the grips from being extremely cold riding in the single digit temperatures?

Thanks.
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #108
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 362
heated grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
Lots of different suggestions on grips for a thicker grip which I am looking for to help see if that solves my hand from hurting...

I am also looking for something that will prevent the grips from being extremely cold in the single digit numbers... is there anything that will prevent the grips from being extremely cold riding in the single digit temperatures?

Thanks.


Many, (but not all) GS's have a nifty rocker switch under the rider's right thumb to address this issue. I'm supposing yours doesn't?

Sorry, couldn't resist being a wise-ass, but if warm hands is what you want, get heated grips. I have the soft Renthal grips installed over my OEM BMW grips, the heaters still keep my hands comfortable down below freezing. So, if your "single digits" are in Celsius you'd be fine, but if your digits are in Fahrenheit I doubt you'll ever find anything that keeps your hands warm when it's that cold out.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #109
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bmwgsrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Amarillo
Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post
Many, (but not all) GS's have a nifty rocker switch under the rider's right thumb to address this issue. I'm supposing yours doesn't?

Sorry, couldn't resist being a wise-ass, but if warm hands is what you want, get heated grips. I have the soft Renthal grips installed over my OEM BMW grips, the heaters still keep my hands comfortable down below freezing. So, if your "single digits" are in Celsius you'd be fine, but if your digits are in Fahrenheit I doubt you'll ever find anything that keeps your hands warm when it's that cold out.
I expected a wise-ass statement so thank you... but was looking for something to help the grips from feeling frozen before the heated grips starts taking affect... reason is I wear thin gloves only and the coldness do seep through the gloves pretty quick before heated grips starts working...

Even the clutch and brake lever are very cold too and will be looking to help them not being very cold to the touch too...
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #110
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky
 
dendrophobe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
I expected a wise-ass statement so thank you... but was looking for something to help the grips from feeling frozen before the heated grips starts taking affect... reason is I wear thin gloves only and the coldness do seep through the gloves pretty quick before heated grips starts working...

Even the clutch and brake lever are very cold too and will be looking to help them not being very cold to the touch too...
The only thing I can think of is some handlebar muffs, or the equivalent. A few people make them; these are from Wunderlich.



Best Rest Products also makes some (WaterShed Motorcycle Mitts) but they're a good bit more expensive.
__________________
Doug
Semper Fi
2009 BMW F800GS, Olive Drab
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #111
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bmwgsrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Amarillo
Oddometer: 297
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #112
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky
 
dendrophobe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Oddometer: 857
Oh. If you already use them, I'm out of suggestions. Good luck!
__________________
Doug
Semper Fi
2009 BMW F800GS, Olive Drab
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #113
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine
 
prometheus rising's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
What do they look like?? I couldn't find a picture on the website....

Are they similar to: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html

Here you go, I love mine, apparently butterfys do too

I got them at the finger lakes rally but you can order online

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html


__________________
Joe

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond

prometheus rising screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 05:03 AM
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #114
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,770
Those look nice...I was expecting them to look like grip puppies when it said neoprene on their website, but it looks like the exterior has a more grip like texture to it as opposed to the wetsuit material look, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising View Post
Here you go, I love mine, apparently butterfys do too

I got them at the finger lakes rally but you can order online

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html


EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #115
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine
 
prometheus rising's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Those look nice...I was expecting them to look like grip puppies when it said neoprene on their website, but it looks like the exterior has a more grip like texture to it as opposed to the wetsuit material look, correct?
yes they are textured, I believe they call this "sharkskin" no slippage at all even when riding in the rain with gloves soaking wet, very comfortable and far superior IMHO than any other grip I;ve tried
__________________
Joe

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #116
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,300
How do the BeemerBuddies attach? They wrap around the grips and velcro both ends together?
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #117
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine
 
prometheus rising's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
How do the BeemerBuddies attach? They wrap around the grips and velcro both ends together?
yes, there is a strip of glue reputed to be able to withstand 185 degrees, you attach this to the grip and wrap the rest around then velcro the 2 ends together

i can pop mine off and post some pics if you want to see them ) there are no pics on the beemerbuddie site as of today)
__________________
Joe

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

The Adirondacks and Beyond
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #118
Ronin ADV
Gear addict
 
Ronin ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Northern Sierras
Oddometer: 594
Question

So which is it? Do they slip over the end or wrap around?
__________________
Dan
2010 BMW F800GS, 2011 Yamaha WR250R, 2011 Honda Ruckus, 2013 KTM 500 EXC
Up the WABDR, F800GS Stealth Bike Build, WR250R Scotts Damper Install
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #119
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
So which is it? Do they slip over the end or wrap around?
Same question....not sure how we can have two polar different answers here. I'd prefer the slip on...not sure I like the sound of glue and velcro.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #120
nytrashman
old and in the way
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: westchester co. NY
Oddometer: 576
they do not slip over, they wrap around the grip and as another poster said they use some glue and velcro to attach.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014