Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #46
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Most of the advice is good but it doesn't apply to hipsters on fixies. They're free game.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #47
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
How was that Cummins driver able to dump smoke on demand?
I think he just shifted to a higher gear than was needed for the grade and it lugged the engine. I'm guessing the engine wasn't in great shape either...
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #48
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Why do so many believe that others must get out of their way?
why do so many people think it is OK to inconvenience many others to satisfy their individual desires?

Quote:
Where does this inflated sense of worth come from?
probably from the same place that gives rise to the inflated sense of self worth it takes to think, for example, it is OK to repeatedly skip to the front of the line at stop lights (even if it means riding on the sidewalk to get there) and then (after the light turns green and the 100 foot head start you got by running the red light is used up) hold up the whole line of cars you just illegally passed as you are moving at half the speed limit on a street that is narrow to begin with and has cars parked on both sides (making it impossible to safely pass a bicycle without going into the other lane which is not possible since there is always traffic coming the other way).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #49
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
I already asked that and I got flipped off

Problem is, no one knows why they're the nicest people with their feet planted on Terra Firma, but as soon as they're in/on a moving object they're the most important person on the planet and hate everyone else. There's some good theories about it, but you try to ask someone, sitting next to them when they behave idiotic in traffic why they don't calm the hell down they'll get this self-righteous look on their face and gibberish starts flowing out their mouths.
Very weird and pathetically sad.
I speculate that for the asshats that think they are road warriors in their vehicles are a lot like the internet tough guys who spew shit because any returning negative consequences of their words or actions are far removed. So rage out in your car shout shit at another driver, rider, cyclist and when you're done drive on. Some people as evidenced on here and by statements get angry and emotion influences behaviour. Real shitty mix when you're in control of a vehicle that is a potential weapon. Would you give a guy who is throwing a fit in a bar or office or on the street a gun? Probably not. So if you can control yourself and see consequences as a logical result of your lack of control then pull over take a little breather and come down out of the red zone before you kill some one or get your teeth knocked out for being a fucktard and putting others at risk.

I had a guy almost run me down in a cross walk while walking my bike across, I flipped him off he spins around and starts running his mouth. I ignored him until he try to block me in against the curb and I go around and he lurches the car forward and almost takes me out. Threw the bike down and called him out. I'm sure after he had his nose set and teeth fixed he thought good and long about the logic of putting others at risk, scaring his poor GF who had to see him get fucked up and taking on a guy who is riding a mtn bike in the winter..it suggest some level of either commitment, physical capability or even mental state, given how shitty out winters are.

As far as cyclist doing stupid and ignorant things on the road well a little spike in testosterone brought about by physical effort shouldn't replace common sense. Being a tough guy while looking up at an oil pan of a moving car is hard to pull off.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #50
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Im with Chris I live in a bicycle hot spot and these moron pricks pick the narrowest, hilliest, most heavily travelled road to ride 3 wide and shake there elastic coated multi colored man ass at you... If not 3 wide they drive down the middle of the road so you have to go completetly into the other lane to give them there 3 feet...

No its not me in the video but I wish it was...

You, and anybody who thinks this is funny and not offensive, are pricks. Screw you.

Signed, a guy who rides 2-wheeled vehicles.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #51
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
Woohoo, another bicycles-blocking-traffic thread. Bicyclists should be considerate and ride near the edge of road, making themselves easy to pass. Motorists should be considerate and pass them in a safe manner, slowing down and giving them at least a few feet. Moving to the other lane is even better. Bicyclists should signal before turning and stop for red lights like everyone else, but I can't remember ever seeing one do so.
I ride near the edge whenever it's feasible, often it isn't because of pavement cracks, holes, glass, metal and all the other chit that accumulates. Many of the hazards are completely invisible to motorized traffic, either because they're too fast or it's no consequence for them. Things are different with 1 inch wide tires and 2 square inches of contact patch.

I also signal and stop for red lights. Yeah, there are many that don't and I find it as frustrating as anyone else here.

Lots of folks riding motos or driving cars don't always do the stuff they're supposed to in traffic either.

filmfan screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 10:10 AM
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #52
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,538
A brilliant (so to speak) idea:

http://www.lightlanebike.com/

Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #53
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
Where the fuck are you going in such a hurry? Sheesh!

Calm the hell down out there in traffic people. Close to 40.000 US people are killed in traffic every year just trying to get from point A to point B.
Well said. Too many people think they are the only folks that matter and whatever they are doing is much more important than anyone else around them. I see this everyday on my commute.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #54
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Just reading the article in your link, and the comments afterwards. I read some comments that say this is a very curvy, narrow, and hilly road that the ACCIDENT happened on, and some say it was straight and flat. SO? And your friends say the perp had a similar idea to mine, splitting between the cyclist's? Yeah, with a Dodge Durango! It's almost the same thing as a KTM 950, right? Similar width's for both? I also read that the driver say's he reached down to pick something up, and when he looked back up.......there they were. Bad judgement to be taking your eye's off the road, even for a second or two? Sure. Have you ever done the same thing? EVER? I bet you have, just like most EVERYONE has at one time or another.Did you happen to notice that the court isn't giving the driver a chance to "plea out" from a reckless homicide charge? MAYBE because the deceased Doctor has a certain family member who happen to be the Attorney General (at least according to some of the comments I read)l? "Gang-Bangers" get to plea-out stuff every day. It's terrible for anyone's family to suffer the kind of loss that doctor's did, and I DO NOT think the driver should get off with nothing, shit it could have been ME on a motorcycle getting squashed by his Durango just as easy as the doctor on his bicycle, but it doesn't sound like this driver was trying to kill someone that day.
I wasn't there so I leave it to the court. What I do know, is the road is straight and flat for a mile or more on the stretch where Dr. Burke was hit.
Further up the road, it is curvy, though I wouldn't classify it as narrow.

The "idea" I was referring to was what I quoted, not splitting between them. Passing closely to scare cyclists may result in passing closer than intended. Then you get charged with vehicular homicide. And an Army veteran with an eight-month old daughter dies.

As for the Attorney General. My understanding is Dr. Burke has a relative that is an attorney. Not the Attorney General.

I don't ride in groups because I agree with you. They are dangerous. My last group ride was with about 40 people and we were on narrow curvy roads. It was not a good situation.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #55
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
There's really only one rule I'd like you to follow when passing me: Treat me like a human not like an obstacle.

If I'm in the lane there's a good reason for it, don't assume you can see everything I see. If there's a decent shoulder I'll be on it.
You are a relatively rare cyclist, as the idiots that ride side by side on 55 mph roads with blind curves here are demonstrate.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #56
La Machine
2>4

Oddometer: 59
Bottom line, there are dumbasses in cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Thing is, this is a motorcycle forum, so we have to hear from our own dumbasses every time this stupid topic comes up.
La Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #57
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
I wasn't there so I leave it to the court. What I do know, is the road is straight and flat for a mile or more on the stretch where Dr. Burke was hit.
Further up the road, it is curvy, though I wouldn't classify it as narrow.
Well, you live there and I don't, so I'll take your word that the road was straight where the poor Doctor (and the other guy's) were hit.

The "idea" I was referring to was what I quoted, not splitting between them. Passing closely to scare cyclists may result in passing closer than intended. Then you get charged with vehicular homicide. And an Army veteran with an eight-month old daughter dies.
When I said about passing closely, I don't mean giving them a few inch's. I may be pissed at them sometimes but I sure as hell don't want to hurt anybody.

As for the Attorney General. My understanding is Dr. Burke has a relative that is an attorney. Not the Attorney General.
Just stating what I read on a couple of the comments. True or not.....?? But, I'll take your word for that one too.

I don't ride in groups because I agree with you. They are dangerous. My last group ride was with about 40 people and we were on narrow curvy roads. It was not a good situation.
We probably aren't that far apart in our thinking on this subject.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #58
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
A couple of days ago, I saw one nearly cause a wreck as traffic piled up behind him and cars were getting edgey tying to get around. The fucked up part is that this dim-wit was riding in the road parrallel to a very nice bike path that the taxpayers had provided for him.

I seriously am going to just drive behind the next one of these idiots forever (or until HE pulls into the bike lane).

Or just do like I did and call the law. I rolled back through a little after I stopped and called.... Two Tennessee Highway Patrol units had the whole gang off on the side of the road.

I don't mind people riding bicycles on the street, but they do need to be aware that they DO NOT have the same rights as a motor vehicle due to their limited speed. When they are being idiots, in the wrong lane and/or needlessly blocking traffic, they need to be safely taken off the road.
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #59
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
55-8-175 Riding on Roadways and Bike Paths

a) (1) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

(A) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(B) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or

(C) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, "substandard width lane" means a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control.

(b) (1) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two (2) abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control or in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

You missed the important part.. in orange.

I asked a THP officer about it, what I relayed was basically what she told me. Apparently cops don't like responding to "flattened bicyclist" calls...
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #60
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Just to throw out a random tidbit

that many have forgotten: The reason you have nice paved roads to drive on is because of the bicyclists. Back in the day before roads were paved they were regular mudholes in the wet season and unbearably dusty in the dry. The cars of the time were forever getting stuck or eating dust. It was as bad or worse for the bicyclists. At the time the Penny Farthling was the hot ride and it is nothing fun to fall off of. Still the country was gripped in a bicycling craze. So the LAW (leauge of American Wheelman) lobbied hard for paved roads. And it came to pass that the roads were paved. The cars benefited along with everyone else.

http://www.bikeleague.org/about/history.php

For myself, when riding in the country I usually ride far right for the first 75-80 miles then switch to riding on the right hand paint stripe (the smoothest pavement) I slide to far right if traffic approaches and resume the stripe when they pass. Traffic jammin' in the city I only follow one rule: Survive. Anything and everything goes. Any surface I can get a tire on is fair game, doing anything at an intersection but turning right or going strait through is dumb. Sidewalks, lawns, steps, ramps and fields are fair game. Fences are for hopping over if it's a decent shortcut or avoids dangerous road. Ditto damn near anything else. The law is designed for the cars and following most of it is very stupid and usually dangerous. Wear lots of hi-viz, pretend you're invisible and don't let 'em get near ya. Wear one of those totally obvious concealed weapon fanny packs and stuff it with granola bars so it sags menacingly. The more psychotic you look the less they screw with you. Survive.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote