Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #55546
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I would add to check the choke cable and make sure it is moving through its full range, probably pull it out of the carb to check it. It could just be defective. Mine started to to fail around 20k miles.
one time i got some shit in the main jet and it would only run choked then the choke cable bustesd so i had to take the airbox off and hold my hand over the carb to get home , only 40 miles , my back hurt for weeks

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #55547
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
No sorry, cleaned everything 3 times. Carb is super clean.
Replace the Pilot jet. Flushing it out may not work. Can be hard to fully clean. Go to Suzuki and buy a new Pilot jet. Not expensive. Most decent multi line dealers will have one. (Bring your Pilot Jet with you)
OR .... take it out and with a guitar steel (not wound) G string and very carefully clean little holes out ... then use high pressure air to blow out. Blow out Pilot circuit where jet screws in.

Assuming you checked the little fuel filter in the inlet fuel tube??

If you want help here you will have to list very specific running issues and everything you've tried to fix it so far ... and in the order you did it.

Yes, I know you posted some stuff before ... post it again.

If all else fails ... take it to a qualified mechanic. It's a super simple carb.
Be thankful for that. If the carb 100% checks out ... then you have to start looking elsewhere ... elec./ignition or whatever.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #55548
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
IIRC, both Keintech and Pro Cycle offer both (Two Brothers and Hindle) mid pipes specifically for use with a GSXR muffler.
Not us.
I know I'm in the minority but I'm not impressed with the GSXR can on the DR650.

I do have a Hindle mid-pipe on my FMF Powerline adaptation. I had to make significant mods the the Hindle mid-pipe to keep it a safe distance from the brake hose.

Hindle does have a problem with this product but I'm not suprised that it's only just now making showing up on their radar. I doubt Hindle has actually sold very many of these. They make and sell a lot of pipes for many other bikes but they haven't been more than a minor player in the DR650 market.

In any case. They should be given every opportunity to understand the problem. The first step for them has to be to verify whether it is a production error or a design problem. just telling them it's wrong doesn't get them any closer to identifying the root of the problem. A mid pipe seems like a simple part but there are uncountable things that could go wrong between the initial design work and the final installation by the rider.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #55549
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... and they should pay part postage from Canada too.
I don't deny there is a problem ... but good to see an OEM stepping up.
Hindle is a Canadian company.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #55550
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
I'm going to find out if they still do. I'm going to split the cases first, though so I can speak intelligently, and as politely as possible under the circumstances. I'm also going to get out all the records of oil purchases, rear tires (if I'm such an animal, why have I just put on my third rear after more than 26k miles?), everything. We do pretty much everything by credit card for just this reason: records.

When I bought this bike (new) it was a decision between this and an XR650L. I have had very, very good luck with Honda thumpers over several decades, but I let the salesman talk me into this one as the XR was taller (a pain in traffic) and got poorer gas mileage.

I'm starting to regret not buying the pig.
If it makes you feel any better the XR-L would be getting close to needing the top end freshened up at 26K miles.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #55551
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Your topic is up on the advrider radar screen tobster9, nice and bright and highlighted ! I was shocked the other day to notice, we're up past 180,000 members and counting and the DR650 thread is easily one of the biggest on the site ! Funny how a company comes up to the plate on a strong website, compared to an individual dealing with them on the phone...

I haven't seen this much excitement and heated debate on the DR thread, in I don't know how long. If not for yourself, but for other DR owners, please keep us informed of your progress or lack of it, in dealing with Canada's Hindle Exhaust Systems.

996DL
i confess to being somewhat responsible for this situation; as it was i who sent an email to hindle, complaining how they treated one of our fellow dr650 owners. i went thru the web to search out other incidents, and it was wery clear that this was not an isolated incident. and, as i had yust recently done an exhaust conwersion w/the kientech hi-flow midpipe, i was curious about the fitment issue - i had ~1/16" clearance between the midpipe and the frame, and ~1/4" between the midpipe and the shock spring. i had to cut the fat rubber grommet insert at the mounting bolt to make it thinner, so as to be able to pull the whole midpipe closer to the frame, w/the aid of an extra fender washer under the bolt on the outside of the frame. this was the only way to get the (fat, well-made) kientech hi-flow mid pipe off the shock spring.

(yes, phreaky phil, your mid-pipe handiwork looks awesome! )

anyway, it seems hindle joined the adv forum solely to respond to the issue, and hindle's alison posted to this thread; it will certainly be interesting to see how it is resolved. good luck tobster!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #55552
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
if it runs good with the choke on the your forcing a strong vacuum into the float bowl through the main jet , check that you have good flow coming out of tank and that the floats are letting enough gas in the bowl
i did notice earlier taking the tank off, that the new procycle fuel filter had fuel in it. yet when i removed the fuel line after the filter, the fuel did not come out with gravity. also seems like i have an aftermarket petcock with an off position which leaves me to beleive its not vacuum operated. could this be the culprit?
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #55553
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
i did notice earlier taking the tank off, that the new procycle fuel filter had fuel in it. yet when i removed the fuel line after the filter, the fuel did not come out with gravity. also seems like i have an aftermarket petcock with an off position which leaves me to beleive its not vacuum operated. could this be the culprit?
no its not a vacuum system its a gravity type thing remove the gas line from the carb then turn gas on and it should really come out of there the dia of the hose

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #55554
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Not us.
I know I'm in the minority but I'm not impressed with the GSXR can on the DR650.

I do have a Hindle mid-pipe on my FMF Powerline adaptation. I had to make significant mods the the Hindle mid-pipe to keep it a safe distance from the brake hose.

Hindle does have a problem with this product but I'm not suprised that it's only just now making showing up on their radar. I doubt Hindle has actually sold very many of these. They make and sell a lot of pipes for many other bikes but they haven't been more than a minor player in the DR650 market.

In any case. They should be given every opportunity to understand the problem. The first step for them has to be to verify whether it is a production error or a design problem. just telling them it's wrong doesn't get them any closer to identifying the root of the problem. A mid pipe seems like a simple part but there are uncountable things that could go wrong between the initial design work and the final installation by the rider.
jeff,
what don't you like about the GSXR muffler? the numbers show it makes better power (than stock) in meat of the powerband and it's well built, light and does not need packing.

the red line is the GSXR. it does better at lower rpms (meaty torque increase from 3000 rpm up) and the only place the FMF is better is above 7000rpm. who spends any serious amount of time up there? the DR is not a squid bike. from my experience the FMF needs repacking too often, is too loud and falls apart over time. which can do you like? Staintune makes a great one for the DR but is $$$. to me, everything about the GSXR pipe says it's perfect for the DR.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 09:56 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #55555
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Not us.
I know I'm in the minority but I'm not impressed with the GSXR can on the DR650. I do have a Hindle mid-pipe on my FMF Powerline adaptation.
My mistake ... I thought you sold Hindle products ... since you sell every other thing in the world made for the DR650!

What problems have you found with the GSXR muffler? Aesthetics?
Technical?

How would you compare the quality of an FMF pipe (which I think you still sell?) to the GSXR Titanium item?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #55556
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
My mistake ... I thought you sold Hindle products ... since you sell every other thing in the world made for the DR650!

What problems have you found with the GSXR muffler? Aesthetics?
Technical?

How would you compare the quality of an FMF pipe (which I think you still sell?) to the GSXR Titanium item?
i've had both in my hand side by side and the GSXR was a way better build pipe to me. weight was similar, FMF slightly less but not a huge amount.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #55557
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
If it makes you feel any better the XR-L would be getting close to needing the top end freshened up at 26K miles.
Yeah, you're probably right, but it would be cheaper than what I'm looking at right now.

Here's what caused the cylinder damage. Same size. Same place:
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #55558
tobster9
Sky larker

Oddometer: 118
Lets not blow this out of proportion

I just read through the emails from Hindle back in 2009, and they clearly show that Hindle offered to look at the problem if I was to return the pipe to them for a warranty inspection. I say I want a refund before I send my pipe back, its explained that a refund is not easy due to the pipe being sold through a distributor and then through a retailer.

I accept that but Im annoyed because for me to go back to the stock pipe I would have to re-jet again, posting stuff back to Hindle will inevitably take a long time and who knows how long it will take once its recieved, I waited months for a silencer that never showed up. But primarily this is about safety and if someone contacts you and puts brakes, leaks, burns and crush in the same sentence I would expect you to be going 'oh my god, this is serious, we better have a look, thanks for bringing that to our attention, lets see what we can do here', I'm obvisouly being naive.

Between everyone here we could probably come up with the perfect pipe, clearance, power, weight, tone, style, price and made from recycled mid pipes, Hindle can make it, we'll buy it, everyones happy
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #55559
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Alison:
Thanks for stepping in.

The midpipe should fit any post '96 DR650, which muffler we stick on the end won't change the position of the midpipe. Heck, take the muffler off and ride; the Hindle midpipe will still hit the brake clip and brake line. I have a new Hindle on the bench; when I saw the damage done to it (pics posted here), I decided to use the Jesse midpipe. I initially bought the Hindle for two reasons: Two Brothers is known for LOUD exhaust, I didn't want to support that mindset with my money. The second: I like the way the Hindle tapers from the exhaust header to the muffler. Someone said earlier that there was close to 1/2" of 'ding' on the Hindle at the bend.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #55560
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 620
GSXR Ti Muffler

Has anyone out there tired using the 01 GSXR Ti muffler with the mid pipe that comes with it? I bought a 01 Ti muffler off eBay a few months ago. It came with the orginal mid pipe. I thought the mid pipe would be a good place to start fabing up my own but since I am living 2003.5 air miles from my garage ( Garmin MapQuest ) and I am waiting on my friend John to find me the right replacement DR650 to replace the one I stupidly sold, I just read, study and plan my next DR build in my non riding ( rainy season ) time here. The DL650 I have here is a great bike but it's just not a DR.

TraveGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote