Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #55576
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,156
Alison:
Thanks for stepping in.

The midpipe should fit any post '96 DR650, which muffler we stick on the end won't change the position of the midpipe. Heck, take the muffler off and ride; the Hindle midpipe will still hit the brake clip and brake line. I have a new Hindle on the bench; when I saw the damage done to it (pics posted here), I decided to use the Jesse midpipe. I initially bought the Hindle for two reasons: Two Brothers is known for LOUD exhaust, I didn't want to support that mindset with my money. The second: I like the way the Hindle tapers from the exhaust header to the muffler. Someone said earlier that there was close to 1/2" of 'ding' on the Hindle at the bend.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #55577
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 589
GSXR Ti Muffler

Has anyone out there tired using the 01 GSXR Ti muffler with the mid pipe that comes with it? I bought a 01 Ti muffler off eBay a few months ago. It came with the orginal mid pipe. I thought the mid pipe would be a good place to start fabing up my own but since I am living 2003.5 air miles from my garage ( Garmin MapQuest ) and I am waiting on my friend John to find me the right replacement DR650 to replace the one I stupidly sold, I just read, study and plan my next DR build in my non riding ( rainy season ) time here. The DL650 I have here is a great bike but it's just not a DR.

TraveGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #55578
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

yeah, that looks way lower than it needs to be. i got mine done for $180 at a motorbike exhaust shop including fitting, very nicely tucked away and couldnt be happier....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #55579
Xplorr
hoi polloi

Oddometer: 320
Psa

Anybody with HDB handguards looking for different colored LED's (besides the red, yellow, green), I've got some. Check out flea market post.

Cheers, matt
Xplorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #55580
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
no its not a vacuum system its a gravity type thing remove the gas line from the carb then turn gas on and it should really come out of there the dia of the hose
Get rid of the tiny filter in the carb inlet barb.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #55581
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADurstewitz View Post
Yeah, you're probably right, but it would be cheaper than what I'm looking at right now.

Here's what caused the cylinder damage. Same size. Same place:
Back in the '70's when money was scarce, we used to be able to save cylinders without boring them oversize if a seizure was simply aluminum transferred to the cylinder without scoring the cylinder itself. Aluminum can be removed from the cylinder with muriatic acid. Get it at a mason supply store. Brush it on the affected area and watch it bubble away the aluminum while leaving the ferrous mat'l alone. Depending on the amount and thickness of the aluminum several applications will be necessary. Be sure to give the cylinder a good rinse with water when finished, and report the results here please.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #55582
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Krylon

How well does Krylon hold up over long haul?
Did you use the "Fusion" type?
Did you prime the surface, and what primer did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigsnapper View Post
End results:

Gets my stamp of "Good enough":
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #55583
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
jeff,
what don't you like about the GSXR muffler? the numbers show it makes better power (than stock) in meat of the powerband and it's well built, light and does not need packing.

the red line is the GSXR. it does better at lower rpms (meaty torque increase from 3000 rpm up) and the only place the FMF is better is above 7000rpm. who spends any serious amount of time up there? the DR is not a squid bike. from my experience the FMF needs repacking too often, is too loud and falls apart over time. which can do you like? Staintune makes a great one for the DR but is $$$. to me, everything about the GSXR pipe says it's perfect for the DR.
My own dyno testing shows the GSXR can as comming in about half way between the stock muffler and the FMF Q4. A PowerBomb header with a Q4 (or PowerCore 4) does better over the whole range.

I agree about the repacking issue. I've been hounding FMF for years to adapt something like their PowerLine ATV muffler for the dualsport market.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #55584
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
Guys I bought a dr650 with 3600 miles but it is really pissing me off. The engine stutters and stalls and I've tried everything with the carb. It only seems to run right with the choke engaged. What else should I be looking at? I'm getting close to just selling this thing.
plugged PILOT JET. it's the small jet next to the main, clean or replace adjust air/fuel screw & enjoy.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #55585
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
My mistake ... I thought you sold Hindle products ... since you sell every other thing in the world made for the DR650!

What problems have you found with the GSXR muffler? Aesthetics?
Technical?

How would you compare the quality of an FMF pipe (which I think you still sell?) to the GSXR Titanium item?
Aesthetics. Yes, the GSXR is just as big a monstrosity as the stocker. And even though they are virtually the same size the GSXR can looks even more gigantic.

Also, it is not the great performance mod that everyone seems to think it is based on one dyno test MX-Rob did a couple years ago. Yes, it's better than stock but if you are looking to make a lot more power the GSXR can will still be a bottleneck.

I've sold several hundred FMF pipes over the last 4 years and have not had to deal with any quality issues. The FMF pipes on the shop bikes have held up just fine. We did have an issue with FMF's packaging. For months I ended up sending about 20% of the DR pipes back to Parts Unlimited because of shipping damage.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #55586
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
plugged PILOT JET. it's the small jet next to the main, clean or replace adjust air/fuel screw & enjoy.
Or the passage between the pilot jet, mixture screw and carb throat may be plugged. It isn't always enough the clean the jet. You have to make sure the fuel can flow through the rest of the idle circuit.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #55587
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,566
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobster9 View Post
...I want a refund before I send my pipe back....I would expect you to be going 'oh my god, this is serious, we better have a look, thanks for bringing that to our attention, lets see what we can do here...
it's pretty rare to have a company issue you a refund before you return their product for inspection. it happens, but it's not common.

and they did exactly what you asked. they came here, said thanks for bringing this to their attention, and offered to resolve it.

what's your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Or the passage between the pilot jet, mixture screw and carb throat may be plugged. It isn't always enough the clean the jet. You have to make sure the fuel can flow through the rest of the idle circuit.
true, plugged pilot air jet, etc etc. main point to the OP is that he needs to properly tear down that carb and reassemble without tweaking the float, stripping threads and otherwise making the problem worse.

plugged pilot jet is like the most common ailment in off-road bikes.

just be glad you dont ride a 50cc bike!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #55588
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Why is it that when I read your posts doug s, that my brain hears your words in a Swedish accent?
sorry about that, but in a past life, (a long time ago), i had turkish housmates, and they couldn't say "very" or "just" if their lives depended on it. so, i picked up the habit from them.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #55589
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
My own dyno testing shows the GSXR can as comming in about half way between the stock muffler and the FMF Q4. A PowerBomb header with a Q4 (or PowerCore 4) does better over the whole range.

I agree about the repacking issue. I've been hounding FMF for years to adapt something like their PowerLine ATV muffler for the dualsport market.
sounds like a dyno shootout is in order - whose dyno is better?

personally, i am ok w/giving up a small amount of power, if that's the case, if it means i do not have to repack. while i have what is supposedly an upgrade to the gsxr can w/my tsukigi, (cuz i couldn't find a gsxr can), i understand it also doesn't need to be repacked - otherwise i would have kept waiting for the stock gsxr iteration. and, i suspect that if i am ever in the position to spring for the 780/cam/cylinder head kit for my bike, (which would about double the cost of my inwestment in it, haha!), i suspect the the larger gsxr-style can, w/my fmf powerbomb, kientech hi-flow mid-pipe, and fcr39 carb, would be a better match. also, i really like the way it looks.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #55590
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
no its not a vacuum system its a gravity type thing remove the gas line from the carb then turn gas on and it should really come out of there the dia of the hose
i just tried this and the gas that comes out fills 20-25% of the hose diameter. is this the issue you think? fuel filter is new procycle one. i have properly torn down the carb and cleaned it 3 times. pilot jet is clean no debris, entire carb extremely clean.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote