ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #61
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
that many have forgotten: The reason you have nice paved roads to drive on is because of the bicyclists. Back in the day before roads were paved they were regular mudholes in the wet season and unbearably dusty in the dry. The cars of the time were forever getting stuck or eating dust. It was as bad or worse for the bicyclists. At the time the Penny Farthling was the hot ride and it is nothing fun to fall off of. Still the country was gripped in a bicycling craze. So the LAW (leauge of American Wheelman) lobbied hard for paved roads. And it came to pass that the roads were paved. The cars benefited along with everyone else.


http://www.bikeleague.org/about/history.php

.
Self serving BS. That may have had a small role in it in the beginning, but the need for roads for cars eclipsed the need for bikes LONG before there were enough paved roads to matter.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-14-2011 at 05:10 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #62
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
that many have forgotten: The reason you have nice paved roads to drive on is because of the bicyclists. Back in the day before roads were paved they were regular mudholes in the wet season and unbearably dusty in the dry. The cars of the time were forever getting stuck or eating dust. It was as bad or worse for the bicyclists. At the time the Penny Farthling was the hot ride and it is nothing fun to fall off of. Still the country was gripped in a bicycling craze. So the LAW (leauge of American Wheelman) lobbied hard for paved roads. And it came to pass that the roads were paved. The cars benefited along with everyone else.
Not sure where you live but here the reason cyclist have nice (a relative term for sure) paved roads to use is due to the huge surcharge in fuel tax motorist pay. That said I'm all for reducing pollution, congestion and for people getting out and exercising. All very positive stuff. As for as cyclist, I used to ride daily, not so much lately not sure why that is - anyway I always dig a little deeper to afford them extra courtesy. A little more exposed on the road then even motorcyclists.

CanadianX screwed with this post 10-14-2011 at 05:11 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #63
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter
 
Crusier Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Idaho
Oddometer: 299
How do you do this with a diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Now that's funny...
I have had to cross over the Yellow line to many times for these faggot spandex douche Bags. I want to know how to make my diesel smoke like this.

We have had a few deaths here in Boise also due to the ASS HOLE bikers riding two or three abreast taking up a whole lane.

First off the shitheads DON'T PAY ANY ROAD TAXES OR REPAIRS so stay the hell off my roads that I DO PAY TAXES on.
Crusier Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 AM   #64
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offblnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: North
Oddometer: 2,436
So, did we reach an agreement yet?


The whole idea, that engineers seems to forget all the time (together with intersection lights that helps the flow of traffic instead of creating congestion) is separation of traffic into pedestrians, bicycles and motorized vehicles and from there, how to seamlessly make them mingle and cross each other's paths when necessary. It's been done basically everywhere else in the western world, no reason it can't be done here.

Like I have mentioned earlier, pack your hostilities away when out on/in a moving vehicle, they don't belong there and anyone not being able to see that is too immature to hold any kind of license to a vehicle. And don't bring the BS of "it's the other people's fault!" it is starting to sound rather "WAAH-WAAH, gibberish-gibberish-gibberish, WAAH-WAAH!". The majority of road users have no problems getting along with whomever they share the road with, or else it would be a war zone out there and be categorized as such by the people that issue the license to use the roads to us.

I have driven semis next to and been able to pass bicyclist without creating a damn incident for neither parties, but some of you shouldn't even be allowed to ride a children's tricycle if the behavior you claim here is the way you really behave out on the roads. I've ridden and walked in a lot of places outside the US, but nowhere do I see the this kind of ownership mentality among car drivers as I've seen on the threads here. You do not own the road, it's a shared space, and just because some people pay more to share the space doesn't mean that it is their space, it just means that they use the space more, have more impact on wearing the space down and therefore have to contribute more, but it does not make it "MINE, MINE! ALL MINE!".

Now, how was it we were supposed to pass those damn spandex clad numb-nuts out there?
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #65
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars
 
O.C.F.RIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Hewitt,New Jerseystan, OBAMANATION
Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
You do not own the road, it's a shared space, and just because some people pay more to share the space doesn't mean that it is their space, it just means that they use the space more, have more impact on wearing the space down and therefore have to contribute more, but it does not make it "MINE, MINE! ALL MINE!".

Now, how was it we were supposed to pass those damn spandex clad numb-nuts out there?
Egg-zac-ly!
So then, why the hell do the bicyclist's act like it's theirs and theirs alone? HUH?
Going slow...............stay to the right! SINGLE FILE! Just WHY is that so hard?? If the Spandex wearer's would just do that, there wouldn't be all the "harshin' on their mellow" going on here!

Now Fuck-off!


Chris
__________________
http://www.theshining.info/
KTM 950 Adv. "S"...'06 KTM 525 EXC...
'76 MV Agusta 750 America S...'84 Honda VF1000...
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #66
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
First off the shitheads DON'T PAY ANY ROAD TAXES OR REPAIRS so stay the hell off my roads that I DO PAY TAXES on.
You do realize that almost everybody you see on a bicycle also owns a car and therefore pays the same road TAXES that you do, right?
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #67
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché
 
Yossarian™'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
We have had a few deaths here in Boise also due to the ASS HOLE bikers riding two or three abreast taking up a whole lane.
Oh really? Please do elaborate.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #68
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnuke View Post
At least you asked. Lots of folks would rather just hit us.

As an avid triathlete and cyclist I say just move as far to the left of the lane as you can. If there is a decent shoulder, we cyclists will probably be using it anyway, so just sliding to your left a little bit is enough. If there is no shoulder, just do whatever you can to get enough separation to safely pass (in the lane, out of the lane, whatever). We are expecting to get passed so it doesn't usually surprise us.

As for the cyclists who ride the middle of the lane there is usually a reason (unless the guy is just a clueless prick). I will usually ride the center of the right turn lane approaching an intersection to prevent prevent someone from squeezing by me and then immediately turning right without enough room (the classic right hook). I figure the car will be slowing for the turn anyway, so me at 15-20 mph isn't too much of an inconvienience.

Thanks for watching out for us. Us 2 wheeled guys gotta stick together.
That's a biiiiiiig +1

Every mtbiker or roadie I've met at cool trailheads or fixing a flat was a rider serious about not getting creamed by cars/boats/trains. Swapping lanes is what I usually do, with a big thumbs up air-punch once I'm by. Most folks appreciate and reciprocate.
drz ... if only it wasnt for the stators (sigh)
__________________
Donkeys are flying
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #69
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer
 
Offcamber's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
You do realize that almost everybody you see on a bicycle also owns a car and therefore pays the same road TAXES that you do, right?

By that argument if I have a car I should not have to pay road tax (registration) on my motorcycle because I already paid it???
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #70
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.
 
CanadianX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
You do realize that almost everybody you see on a bicycle also owns a car and therefore pays the same road TAXES that you do, right?
Negative. At least here the tax is in the fuel and the more you use then more you pay. So not exactly the same. In the end though the road is public space and not owned by cagers, riders, or cyclist. Some douche may feel that way but a quick trip to court or jail will sort that out. All the anger you feel in the moment is going to make you feel pretty small and retarded when you're looking at your shoes trying to explain your action to the family of the person you killed out of negligence or anger because you were inconvenience for a few minutes.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #71
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnuke View Post
At least you asked. Lots of folks would rather just hit us.

As an avid triathlete and cyclist I say just move as far to the left of the lane as you can. If there is a decent shoulder, we cyclists will probably be using it anyway, so just sliding to your left a little bit is enough. If there is no shoulder, just do whatever you can to get enough separation to safely pass (in the lane, out of the lane, whatever). We are expecting to get passed so it doesn't usually surprise us.

As for the cyclists who ride the middle of the lane there is usually a reason (unless the guy is just a clueless prick). I will usually ride the center of the right turn lane approaching an intersection to prevent prevent someone from squeezing by me and then immediately turning right without enough room (the classic right hook). I figure the car will be slowing for the turn anyway, so me at 15-20 mph isn't too much of an inconvienience.

Thanks for watching out for us. Us 2 wheeled guys gotta stick together.
You haven't read too many of these threads, have ya?!

They usually devolve pretty quickly...

AFA 'how I'd like you to pass me...' Just please do it safely. I'm one of those that rides in the middle of the lane at crests of hills and blind corners so drivers have to think about how far into the other lane they're gonna hafta be to get around me. I STILL get idiots completely in the other lane going over crests of hills! I've found that when I don't ride like that, its actually worse for all of us.

If I hear a bike coming, I'll move back over 'cause I know the bike can get around me without going into the other lane. IOW safely.

Tip for the cyclists reading this: when you can see that its safe, wave the cars around ASAP. Seems to go a long ways towards alleviating bad feelings.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #72
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
We have had a few deaths here in Boise also due to the ASS HOLE bikers riding two or three abreast taking up a whole lane.
I'd like you to explain how the bicyclists were at fault for the deaths.

Go ahead. I'm listening.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.

Gummee! screwed with this post 10-14-2011 at 07:49 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #73
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,421
I'll throw this offer out yet again:

Come ride with me. I have extra bicycles. You'll find out VERY quickly there's a reason most people ride like they do.

I have yet to have one person accept my offer. Maybe this time'll be different. Doubt it.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #74
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes
 
bumblebee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 1,431
When riding my motorcycle I try to be as safe as possible.
I ride defensively and pretend I'm invisible.
When I see bicyclists riding 2 and 3 wide, it seems to be the opposite to what I do to stay safe.
That frustrates me.
Everyone does his share in the continuous flow of trafic but some bicyclists seem to love to slow it all down to their speed.
It's in their rights and they are going to excersise that right.

So my big complaint is this:
If you ride a bicycle, then please share the road with those that ride motor vehicles. Be curtious by not obstructing the flow of trafic. Stay to the right (even in the left hand turn lane, stay to the right on the line), use bike paths, have a good rear view mirror and use it. Think ahead so to not surprise the driver behind you. Signal when about to turn, not halfway around the corner. And most importantly, forgive cage drivers when we make mistakes. It happens.
__________________
And what are you planning to do with your one and only life?
bumblebee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #75
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Machine View Post
Bottom line, there are dumbasses in cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Thing is, this is a motorcycle forum, so we have to hear from our own dumbasses every time this stupid topic comes up.
This^. As an avid cyclist, I have little sympathy for lane hogging A-holes who hold up traffic. They are easier to pass than rolling roadblocks of Harleys though (its Friday). However, far too many responsible cyclists get hit/killed by inconsiderate cagers every year. I only ride out in the country and stay within a foot of the white line, always allowing room for traffic to pass. I'm glad to live out in the county so I can avoid riding in the city with its crappy roads and crappier drivers.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014