Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #91
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
...The fucked up part is that this dim-wit was riding in the road parallel to a very nice bike path that the taxpayers had provided for him.
So why do the bike riders who are outside the bike lane get so irate when I pull up alongside them and drift over and force them into the bike lane that my gasoline tax money paid for???

Actually most of the mountain road bike riders are good--I give them a couple of toots on the horn, they pull way right, and I pass way left.

In town we have painted bike lanes. One is on a downhill road with a right tee intersection. When the bike rider (a) passes on the right (b) over the speed limit (c) through the intersection, will he be surprised when I turn right in front of him?

When the bike rider is riding with his wheels on the left bike lane line, and the left half of his bike outside the bike lane, is it OK for me to ride or drive with my tires on the same bike lane line with part of my vehicle inside the bike lane?
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #92
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
It doesn't matter that you think they have more in common with pedestrians than motor vehicles..they are subject to the same rules....there for they should follow all the rules and have the same responsibilities. You don't have to tax the bike per say...permit the rider. Think of it as a riders license.....
To what end?

Cyclist can be ticketed now without any more laws.

Are you a fan of more laws?

I'll go along with bicycle registration as long as the laws are rewritten so that the tax is based on weight.

I'll gladly pay a tax for my total weight of 200lbs (my fat behind plus Ti bicycle) as long as the folks in the 6000lb SUV's pay a proportionate amount. I mean, we should be fair about this, right?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #93
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
About bike lanes and paths:
They are nice, every once in a while they are actually functional.

A town about 15 miles from me has a bike path that's about 2 miles long. It starts nowhere and it ends nowhere. So it's fine if that's what you want to do, but if you actally want to go somewhere you need to use the road.

Many bike paths or lanes in cities are the same way, the problem is that they get often get put in haphazardly with no thought of how functional they actually are, either for recreation or transportation.

As for lanes in cities, they collect the same crap that the road shoulders do, plus parked cars. Usually the clearest path is nearest the line marking the motor traffic lane.
If you want the rider to stay totally within the bike lane, fine, but what are you going to think when you see him weaving back and forth dodging glass, cracks and potholes, car doors, muffler heat shields and all the rest of it? Its far less confusing for drivers to ride a straight path, whereever it is.

As for being on the line, so what? If you happen to be riding in the right tire track, and there's a hole you need to dodge, and the best path is to the right, are you going to hesitate doing it because the line is there, and you're saddlebag will be over it? What if the next three miles of road is covered with holes, cracks and metal, and the safest path for you is next to the line are you going to be bothered by riding there?

For getting around a cyclist, all that's needed is the 3 feet that some states are requiring. Not even that really, but we like to talk about laws in this thread. I prefer not to get buzzed, but if you get off on that, so be it, I'll take getting buzzed by a moto over a car any day.

3 feet is easy if you're on a moto, and you don't need to be anywhere near the center line to do it even when there are multiple bikes side by side. If there are multiples, and they aren't moving over when you've made sure they know you're there, buzz them, be my guest, teach them a lesson, but consider what lessons some cage might be wanting to teach you sometime.

Who knows? It might be driven by some bicyclist who was using your road for free when you gave him/her a lesson.

Everyone can stand a learning opportunity once in a while, right?

filmfan screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 05:17 AM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #94
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 574
i ride some well traveled local bike routes and i can honestly say i hate the way bicyclists ride. 2 and 3 abreast deliberately blocking traffic and forcing cars into the on coming lane in order to pass. they do not stop at red lights and think they do not have to obey any traffic laws.

i once asked a local cop if he would give me a ticket if the speed limit was 45mph and i was driving along at 15mph and he said he would ticket me for impeding the flow of traffic. when i asked if he would give bicyclists a ticket when they ride 3 abreast at 15mph in a 45mph zone he said no. WTF, why are they allowed to impede the flow of traffic without being given a ticket?

if bicyclists want to gain my respect as a legitimate form of transportation on public roads then they need to show some common curtsies, as well as obey the traffic laws.

right, wrong or indifferent, that cute little spandex suit and your funny little helmet is not going to do you any good when you or one of your buddies who are riding 3 abreast get clipped by a car or truck. i learned a long time ago when i was a kid that if you ride your bike in traffic and get hit by a car your gonna come out on the losing end. by the way some of these bicyclists ride it is apparent they never learned that lesson as a child.

again, if you want my respect as a legitimate form of transportation on public roads then start obeying the traffic laws. until that happens you bicyclists are just another group of people who think there entitled to use the road however they see fit, yet you pay no road use tax, no registrations fees and no licensing fees.

just like loud pipes on motorcycles piss people off, the way you ride your bikes in traffic does nothing but give the general public a bad opinion of all bicyclists.
nytrashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #95
La Machine
2>4

Oddometer: 65
Problem is that I'm pretty sure the bicyclists aren't really interested in earning your (or anybody here's) respect. And as you pointed out, they don't actually have to, since what they're doing is legally protected.

Soo, the problem may be in your own perception. I know, its a tough nut to swallow. But by all means, keep posting guys. It sure is fun to imagine a world where the rules were written by you, isn't it? In MY world, I have the power to blow up Mercedes Benz's with my mind.
La Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #96
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Problem with many bicyclists they want their "rights" but totally fail their responsbility part of riding. Start with obeying traffic laws. Stoplights, stop signs wrong side of road no lights at night etc. Every time a bicyclist gets hit it assumed to be cars fault according to cycle Nazis. not so where I live. In fact if you cause a accident because of your improper riding you can be cited and sued for damages
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #97
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
A long time ago, all bicycles had license plates.
I had a bike with a license plate on it, so it was imposed on kids too.
If I remember right, it was about $3.00 in 1970's dollars.
I don't know what that comes too in todays money.
It was a form of tax I guess.
That has since been removed.
I think a mandatory license plate would help identify those that constantly dis-obey the law.
A quick picture or film would do it (photoshop would really help in this. hehehe).
If well managed, it would also curve the theft of bikes.
You wouldn't be able to register a stolen bike and plate it.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #98
bumblebee1
All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
Problem with many bicyclists they want their "rights" but totally fail their responsbility part of riding. Start with obeying traffic laws. Stoplights, stop signs wrong side of road no lights at night etc. Every time a bicyclist gets hit it assumed to be cars fault according to cycle Nazis. not so where I live. In fact if you cause a accident because of your improper riding you can be cited and sued for damages
I'm not sure how it works here.
It seems like the one with the insurrance gets nailed, no matter who's at fault.
Land owners get the same treatment.
Jump the fense, make a mess, trip and break a leg, go after the land owner's insurrance.
A woman was running on the sidewalk and ran into the side door of a pickup that was turning right on a green.
She had the right of way and they went after the truck owner.
The truck was almost at a stop when she hit. She wasn't paying attention and wanted to make the light no matter what.
That's how screwed up things are now a days.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #99
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
The Road-Bike cyclists in my area who are courteous enough to follow the traffic laws and stay to the far right of the road as safely possible (as per vehicle code) are far and few enough between that I've verbally thanked the ones who don't act like selfish road hogging pricks.
The MTN. Bikers who I sometimes see on the street, are also much more courteous than their road-bike cousins.

F.W.I.W. I know lots of it has to do with the design of the bikes and those damn 700C 130psi tires (I'm restoring my old 1992 Bianchi Virata Rd. Bike, B.T.W.) but as a fellow cyclist, I'm also aware of those limitations so you elitist assholes aren't fooling me at all when you hog the middle of the road.(I.M.H.O. you're the H.D. Pirates of the Bicycle world)

I'll safely pass any Bicyclist that shows me some courtesy by following the road laws here in Pa. but, you packs of assholes that want to hog the whole damn road; don't be surprised when I ride into the middle of your "gangs" when I'm on my M.C. and tailgate the shit out of you when I'm driving the cage.

You want respect = you show respect. It's that fucking simple.

Ps. if the laws in your State say you can legally ride 2-3 abreast in your State and not yield to motor vehicles, please cite that laws section here on ADV rider. (in Pa. it's illegal!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #100
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,857
Let this fucking thread die. Preferably a quick death over in HE.

There are selfish disrespectful cyclists all over. News flash. You don't like the way someone is riding? Call the cops.

And there are stupid, selfish, cowardly, fake tough guys in cars and on motos who feign outrage over being delayed (and who usually carefully frame their poster-child moment in such a way to leave no doubt that the mean old cyclists were maliciously and deliberately targeting said poor fake tough guy in order to cause an assault-worthy provocation) but only ever take it out on cyclists. And then they invariably run away. That's what makes them cowards. Alas, cowardice isn't a crime.

These stupid motherfuckers deserve each other. Too bad we can't put them on a circular test track somewhere where the rest of us won't have to deal with them. As a moto rider, a car driver, and a cyclist, I'm fucking sick of listening to them and watching them, and I'm embarrassed by so many of my fellow members of each class.

So why don't we give it a rest? We can come back when cyclists start actually doing something dangerous that is more than a blip on the radar among motorists who do 1000x the shit cyclists do, including deliberately slowing down traffic (you think deciding to drive, alone, in a car with 4-8 empty seats, past co-workers' homes and past neighbors' workplaces, isn't deliberately creating congestion?), running stop signs and lights, assaulting more vulnerable road users, and taking up more than the rightmost 3 feet of the lane with their mostly-empty cars.

Shitty cyclists don't change this fact: anyone who wants to physically threaten, harass, or graze cyclists with a car or moto is a fucking coward.

To the cyclists in here, I say: don't feed the trolls. You say you've tried reason? Pfff. Most of them aren't smart enough to realize they and their fellow motorists are 99.99% the problem, not cyclists. Let these yellowbellied, lycra-obsessed bottomfeeders have this fapfest. Go ride. And ride right.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #101
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
The Road-Bike cyclists in my area who are courteous enough to follow the traffic laws and stay to the far right of the road as safely possible (as per vehicle code) are far and few enough between that I've verbally thanked the ones who don't act like selfish road hogging pricks.
The MTN. Bikers who I sometimes see on the street, are also much more courteous than their road-bike cousins.

F.W.I.W. I know lots of it has to do with the design of the bikes and those damn 700C 130psi tires (I'm restoring my old 1992 Bianchi Virata Rd. Bike, B.T.W.) but as a fellow cyclist, I'm also aware of those limitations so you elitist assholes aren't fooling me at all when you hog the middle of the road.(I.M.H.O. you're the H.D. Pirates of the Bicycle world)

I'll safely pass any Bicyclist that shows me some courtesy by following the road laws here in Pa. but, you packs of assholes that want to hog the whole damn road; don't be surprised when I ride into the middle of your "gangs" when I'm on my M.C. and tailgate the shit out of you when I'm driving the cage.

You want respect = you show respect. It's that fucking simple.

Ps. if the laws in your State say you can legally ride 2-3 abreast in your State and not yield to motor vehicles, please cite that laws section here on ADV rider. (in Pa. it's illegal!)
Well said!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #102
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post

There are selfish disrespectful cyclists all over. News flash. You don't like the way someone is riding? Call the cops.

And there are stupid, selfish, cowardly, fake tough guys in cars and on motos who feign outrage over being delayed (and who usually carefully frame their poster-child moment in such a way to leave no doubt that the mean old cyclists were maliciously and deliberately targeting said poor fake tough guy in order to cause an assault-worthy provocation) but only ever take it out on cyclists. And then they invariably run away. That's what makes them cowards. Alas, cowardice isn't a crime.

These stupid motherfuckers deserve each other. Too bad we can't put them on a circular test track somewhere where the rest of us won't have to deal with them. As a moto rider, a car driver, and a cyclist, I'm fucking sick of listening to them and watching them, and I'm embarrassed by so many of my fellow members of each class.

So why don't we give it a rest? We can come back when cyclists start actually doing something dangerous that is more than a blip on the radar among motorists who do 1000x the shit cyclists do, including deliberately slowing down traffic (you think deciding to drive, alone, in a car with 4-8 empty seats, past co-workers' homes and past neighbors' workplaces, isn't deliberately creating congestion?), running stop signs and lights, assaulting more vulnerable road users, and taking up more than the rightmost 3 feet of the lane with their mostly-empty cars.

Shitty cyclists don't change this fact: anyone who wants to physically threaten, harass, or graze cyclists with a car or moto is a fucking coward.

To the cyclists in here, I say: don't feed the trolls. You say you've tried reason? Pfff. Most of them aren't smart enough to realize they and their fellow motorists are 99.99% the problem, not cyclists. Let these yellowbellied, lycra-obsessed bottomfeeders have this fapfest. Go ride. And ride right.
Somebody's corn flakes got pissed in!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #103
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Well said!

Jim
Obviously not said well enough though since Schnickelfritz implied I must be a "coward" when in fact....
I'M AN ASSHOLE!
..and judging from the tone, I don't think he was eating corn flakes; I think it was something with a MUCH higher fiber content.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #104
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
Obviously not said well enough though since Schnickelfritz implied I must be a "coward" when in fact....
I'M AN ASSHOLE!
..and judging from the tone, I don't think he was eating corn flakes; I think it was something with a MUCH higher fiber content.
Maybe someone peed in his Corn Flakes?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #105
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,550
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz View Post

...snip.

Now, now. What's a MC forum without road rage threads? The interplay of reason vs. entitlement and general hostility is always interesting. And the off season is just beginning!

I'm cracking up at all the "lycra/spandex" comments. Yeah, mebbe some people need to come out of the closet and just start being themselves. Life is so much better. But there are two other little points in here. Some of those lycra clad derrieres do indeed belong to whichever gender you prefer to admire and there is nothing like matching speed and riding 30 feet behind a couple for a mile or so until they catch on you're (note spelling there please!) enjoying the scenery.

The other thing is some good 9 panel lycra cycling shorts with a synthetic chamois crotch are ideal motorcycle wear for long days in the saddle. I wear a pair of mine, with or without cycling tights under my leathers. Good support and no seams in the wrong places. A bit of padding, absorbent and non-chafing.And the unlined parts of my leathers slide nicely over the lycra making dressing easy, even if it's hot out.

After this Saturdays ride something else occurred to me. My old California riding style crept out here and there and I realized I'm perfectly comfortable passing a semi without going out of my lane (on either side). But unless you have that experience (and only in Ca. AFAIK) people just aren't used to riding that close to anything at speed. Where I see 2 bicyclist riding dead abreast here is is often two women and they are chatting. If they seem to be in good shape and I feel like bird watching I go with plan A (above). If I am doing warp 9 I either cross to the oncoming lane or cut speed to 45 (so I don't buffet them) and pass in lane. If there are 4 or 5 dead abreast (very rare) and the oncoming lane is blocked, well, that's kinda rude for someone not to open a hole to pass. I give 'em half a min and perhaps a headlight flash, then interrupt the conversation with the air horn. No need to threaten or endanger anyone. But if you wanna be rude and obnoxious lemme show you how it's done.

The same horn is effective on cattle in open range areas. Not only don't they pay taxes but they just stand there, partially or completely blocking the lane and going no where at all. And they're bigger than me. Asshats!.

A row of cyclists riding in a peloton is tricky. Usually they are moving along pretty well, they are also drafting and riding very tightly, one behind the other and overlapping about a half wheel or so. These guys (and the occasional women) are very good. They track dead strait and concentrate well. They're out there doing their thing just like I am. I should begrudge them some of the road? They're not yakking or being little self styled politico commandos (ie, using the road like a coffee shop or political rally). They're serious, they're moving and they're handling their machines far better than the average motorcyclist. Depending on how many are in the pack they can easily take up half a lane with the lead left or right depending on the wind. But they also do lead changes. The front person will peel off to the left and coast, falling in at the rear while the second person pours on power and cuts the wind. I always give a group like this plenty of room. I never know when the lead is going to cut left, how well they are going to check for oncoming first (they're tired, thus the change), etc.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote