User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
slugsmasher OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Whidbey to Cape Flattery day jaunt

Quite possibly the last nice day of the year for us up here in the PNW. Got up sort of early for a Sunday and decided to ride. Ate some breakfast and studied the Gazette for a trip. Got stoked on doing Neah Bay. Been on Whidbey for 25 years and never been out there, today was as good as any so I broke out the mighty Wee-Strom and went for it.

Basic route:
http://g.co/maps/b2qnt

Caught the 1030 ferry to Port Townsend and headed down hwy 20 to 101 west. Took several side roads along the 101 to Sequim which was some fun and narrow riding. New to me and worth doing again on moto or bicycle. Stopped in Port Angeles and had lunch at the "Oven Spoonful" cafe, nice artsy place with good Americanos and some interesting food selections. I had the chantrelle and dungeness crab pizza which was very "locale" and very tasty.

Took a side trip to Freshwater Bay and found this nice little fishing nook.

Stopped for sightseeing at Tongue Point and Crescent Bay. Crescent Bay looks to be popular with many surfers and kayakers. Looked like a fun place to goof around in. Still not used to seeing surfers in Washington, I'm from SoCal originally and I think mostly when I see them is like "whats the point". The kayakers out there however are nuts and my hats off to them. I have an 18 foot sea kayak and would never think of flopping around in the waves with it. Tidal currents freak me out enough. I think these guys use mainly river kayaks for maneuverability.

Heading up hwy 112 past Joyce was a fun and an unexpected delight of a ride. Lot of excellent corners and spectacular scenery. One of the better roads I have been on in WA. Several areas are right next to the ocean offering a memorable riding environment not to be missed.

Headed into towns of Clallam Bay and Sekiu which look to be mainly tourist oriented. This time of year everything is dead and or dead. Nobody around and nothing going on which is nice for a change. Sekiu had several strange animal sculptures where the wierdest one was the "female" fish at the welcome sign. Hopefully her name is not "humpy" or something crazy like that. Kind of comical the amount of goofy yet intricately made sculptures around that town.

Continuing out to Neah Bay was great noodling around many nice curves and elevation changes along the ocean bluffs. Some chunky pavement areas and a few sections of land slides but not bad overall and certainly a perfect road for a big dual sport. Lot of fun.

Was greeted by these two dudes upon entry into Neah Bay. Hopefully the locals are not too disturbed by their "likeness". Probably made by the same guy who made the fish in Sekiu.

Neah Bay seems to be primarily a drug and drinking town with a fishing problem. Several signs along the road advocate being sober and drug free with many cute slogans. The best one I saw was "Don't meth your teeth up". WTFO???

The Makah tribe are the peoples in this area. They have a lot of history centered around whale harvesting. They gained a lot of publicity lately from getting whaling grants from the govt. Lot of controversy and an interesting sidebar study.
http://mindprod.com/animalrights/whale.html
http://www.nativevillage.org/Inspira...akah_histo.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makah_people

Meanwhile, out at Cape Flattery I was greeted by this meticulously built trail of cedar planks in recent years. The main reason of trail restoration is to keep hikers out of the mud and on a designated path away from dangerous cliff sides which could break away under their weight. A manmade wonder of the woods for sure.

Arriving at the cape viewpoint was truly spectacular. It is the most northwestern part of the US of A. Unfortunately my camera (Olympus Stylus Tough) is a piece of crap when it comes to scenic photos and contrasting light. I was brought up on F series Nikons and Kodachrome 64 so nothing else has even come close. These are the only decent images from the thing I could get. Google images on Cape Flattery for better pictures, it is worth seeing.

Obligatory poser shot

Headed out via hwy 101 and Crescent Lake. I have many old photos from the lake and there was no traffic which is very rare so I just hauled ass and didn't take any photos. It is a nice ride along the lake.

Ate a quick mexi street taco dinner in PA and caught the 2030 ferry back to Whidbey. Great timing on the weather and an outstanding day trip. Highly recommended in dry weather for those who live within day tripping distance. Certainly worth the venture for those who are visiting from afar.

Now thinking about a river kayak...
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Despite your reservations of your camera, those are some great photo's of the ocean. And you won't find me in the water on a surfboard. Great shots none-the-less, I enjoyed!

Thanks for sharing.
TheAdmiral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 243
Cool, see you can write a good RR, and the Oly takes decent pics.
Nikon F and Kodachrome 64, the good old days. I have a metering prism left from my last F but no body.

Dad
Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,128
Thumb Great RR

AND - I'll be moving to that area next June. Mrs.SgtMike and I spent some time there over the summer and decided to make the move. Thanks for a bit more insight .

Maybe we could ride some, the entire PNW will be new to me.

See ya then, thanks again!
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote