User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
Killboy OP
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 95
4 Countries, 2 riding days. London to Den Haag

I was going to take the VR for this little trip, but the weather seemed promising and the bike would work out a lot cheaper...

In preparation, got a new jacket for the colder weather.

And a TomTom Rider off Ebay which I mounted (the old one died on the previous EuroTrip).

Had a meeting to get to to, so left Chatham about 315pm on Thursday

Hit the Channel Tunnel and boarded the 16:50 train. Met a dude on a Honda 600, leaving for a year trip wherever the road takes him. He is meeting his mate in Italy who has a Transalp. Pretty awesome..... one little kriega bag

Traffic was a nightmare just before Brussels. 3 fairly heavy smashes where trucks bulldozed a few cars. This this would have taken hours more if I werent on a bike.

Hit Den Haag at 9pm European time. Very cool city, and the nightlife has been good.

Killboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Killboy OP
Wait, what?

Oddometer: 95
So, most of the weekend was spent on another set of two wheels, classically the dutch bicycle.

I know why they cycle everywhere. There is hardly a gradient in the entire city. It it totally flat. Cycling is really made easy, with your own lanes and traffic signals. Fantastic way to get around, and hit the pub and there will be thousands of bikes scattered around.... its the way everyone gets there.

Walking around

There was news of a possible "Occupy Hague" protest to happen. So I guess the cops were on standby, or perhaps just normal as the parliament buildings were just to the left.

Behind those coppers is the Museum Mauritshuis. We spent a bit of time in there looking at art... not something I'm particularly well versed in, but it was cool. Not sure what the fuss is about the Girl with the Pearl Earring (I kept thinking neckless... but hey), but it was cool to see many paintings by Rembrant, especially the autopsy that I had learnt about way back in school.

In the parliament buildings area

Now, we did find a protest. These girls were protesting bad hair, all wanting straight and perfect hair. Seemed to be some sort of viral or marketing thing going on, was entertaining, and a lot better cause than this occupy rubbish.

Then the ride back was blissful. Probably because I had more sex than I knew possible this weekend..... so I was in a "zone" of inner tranquility. :) Left Den Haag at about 12:30, stopped for gas about 50km out, and then bombed it all the way to the Channel Tunnel. An absolutely beautiful day for the ride, and not cold at all, really perfect. Nice to see the scenery more, as most of the trip was done in the dark on the way here.

Had a small hiccup trying to board the train, where I left the kill switch enabled, then before I realised somehow confused the immobilizer, so was playing start-tag with the two until the combination re-aligned to allow a start. I missed the bike loadup, which is a pity as there were a few ADV bikes with people looking like they had done some interesting trips.

I like it.

Onto London, one more fuel stop, re-selection of music (Thrice), and the last stretch home was fun. I was not tired at all, and was really enjoying the ride in.
Killboy is offline   Reply With Quote