User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
I had a couple of relatively easy work weeks the past few weeks, which is why I was able to jump back in and start making progress. I'm a bit more strapped for time now, but thankfully I moved far enough along while I did have free time to get myself motivated again. Case in point: I woke up at 5:30 this morning to spend an hour or so getting a few things done. And plan to do it again tomorrow.

Here's the stainless bolt kit I got from BMW Hucky. I'm very happy to have a complete new nut and bolt kit and to not have to worry about cleaning the old ones and sourcing new ones where needed. I know there is a heated debate about the usefulness of stainless as fasteners, but I work in industrial sales and have seen stainless fasteners used on far larger and more powerful equipment than my little R60. I have seen failures too, but I've found that if you use anti-seize and torque to the correct value, you'll be just fine. So that's what I intend to do.

The kit is very nice. It came in a box that made it look like it was going to be all loose pieces. I never opened it until yesterday. If I had, I could have saved myself some time during disassembly. I removed, bagged, and labeled every single nut and bolt from the bike. The pieces in the kit are so well grouped and labeled that I probably didn't need to. Oh well, better safe than sorry, right?

So, this morning's goal was to remove the tires and disassemble the rims/hubs. Remembering lessons I've learned in the past, I decided to start on the rear rim and tire, figuring it would be the more difficult of the two.

No problem!

Then on to the front one, which was a bear. Go figure! Not sure what it was, but the tire wouldn't give. The little tire that could:

Persistence prevailed:

I had planned on reusing the tires on the bike. They were a bit old, but they appeared to be in good shape. Today's inspection revealed this on the front tire:

Yep, some dry rot. Oh well, what the hell - what's a few hundred more dollars for some new shoes?

The next step was to get the angle grinder out and cut the spokes, since I'm going to replace them with new stainless spokes anyways. I'd much rather do this job outside than get the garage dirtier than necessary, and unfortunately it is pouring rain this morning, so I called it quits.

I'm hoping for dryer weather later today so I can finish the job. Then it's on to masking and cleaning everything to get ready for blasting later this week.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote