User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #61
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Wink Loop from Brian Head: Mammoth Creek, Duck Creek, Cedar Breaks

The route was all paved. Leave Brian Head going towards Cedar Breaks. Turn left onto UT 143, dropping elevation, heading north towards Panguitch Lake, turn right onto smaller paved road, US Forest Service Rd 67. This road is has VERY little traffic, a nice surface and some very good curves. Makes a nice connecting loop back to UT 14 at Duck Creek Village. Once on UT 14 pass Navajo Lake, turn right on UT 148 past Cedar Breaks National Monument, then back on UT 143 into Brian Head.

Open road of UT 143 starting descent towards Panguitch Lake. Some residual snow. This is about 9000 ft. Definitely feels like fall is over and winter is fast approaching.

The V leaving Iron County and entering Garfield County.

On to US Forest Service Rd 67, the small community of Mammoth Creek. Very ATV friendly.

View from the bridge.

Heavy snowfall and errant plow operators lead to some pretty banged up signs. The missing state highway number is 14, right back at Duck Creek. The road to Hatch will have to wait for another day.

Glamour shot of the V, in late afternoon light on the open road.

Fire station, just before reaching UT 14.

Old truck. And insignia on door in great shape. A bit of a mystery . . .

Passing back through Duck Creek in fading light. Good road, easy to make time.

Little snowman at the Navajo Lake overlook. You gotta like this!!!

Driving right past the Sunset View Overlook of Cedar Breaks -- worth a quick stop. So lucky to live near all this fantastic scenery.

Interesting snowmelt pattern on the south/west facing slopes. One pic and back to Brian Head.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 10:35 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #62
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Moto and ATV w/ family & friends at Brian Head

A few pics from our afternoon moto and ATV ride to a viewpoint back to Cedar Breaks. Great weather. Good times! This is what it is all about.

I trailered my WRR up to Brian Head. Here she is on the road to the High Mountain Meadow. A great viewpoint looking back at Cedar Breaks National Monument. Kids like to ride double, unless it is rough. Then they jump to an ATV.

Here come the ATVs!!!

Family and friends -- all helmetted up -- looking like a bunch of happy bugs!

Snacktime at the High Mountain Meadow. Kids love snacks.

The view back to Cedar Breaks National Monument.

My wife, smiling and saying "hello" to all inmates and lurkers. She is a winner!!!

Slightly different spot with a view of red rock and Brian Head Peak.

Most of the bright yellow color is gone, but it was still a gorgeous day.

Typical dirt road scene, near the back of Navajo Mountain at Brian Head ski resort. We all enjoyed the warm weather with the recent snow and lingering fall colors - unique combination. Great to be out with family and friends.

Two last scenery shots: Cedar Breaks in afternoon sun.

Near Cascade Waterfall.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #63
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,447
Great stuff as always, thanks for reminding me of where I was 4 weeks ago minus the white stuff.

BTW, doods over at bmw moa in the regional west are showing a slide on 14 out of Cedar. Have you ran into this? I think that TW of yours would just eat it up...
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #64
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

UT 14 Closed

Hey Sam, Yeah. UT 14 above Cedar City had a fairly major slide a few weeks ago. Haven't seen it; only a few photos in the local paper. UDOT put up a barricade at the top, near Cedar Breaks (I've seen it), and I'm sure one at the bottom also. Cars, etc. can get by to allow "local" access to a few dirt roads and camping areas on either end. I don't know about the actual slide area. The word from a few locals in Brian Head is that the damage is major -- a complete re-route of the road is in order. This will probably take months, perhaps not until next summer. I tend to doubt if the TW could sneak through; UDOT may already be "demo-ing" the old route. Or it might be barricaded big-time at the actual slide. There may be damage in several spots??? Still, if opportunity presents, the TW may have to go take a look. If so, we'll definitely photo-up at the key spots. Thanks for checkin' in. Take care, RedRockRider.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #65
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

TW 200 on ski slopes

Two pics from the last ride of the weekend at Brian Head.

The TW 200 on the ski bridge above the highway.

At the Wildflower chairlift.

Ride safe, fellow inmates.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #66
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jacket & Zuma

Out doing a few errands today. The Moto Zoo store had a good deal on jackets. Look for it on a future ride.

Thanks for checkin' in. Get out and ride!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #67
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Landslide on UT 14 above Cedar City

[QUOTE=RedRockRider;17088963]Hey Sam, Yeah. UT 14 above Cedar City had a fairly major slide a few weeks ago. QUOTE]

Just found photo, compliments of JimX:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734059

Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #68
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,447
OUCH!

Looks like UDOT has some o.t. coming.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #69
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 160
utah riding

Hello redrock rider. I just saw the reports I lived in Moab for several years. I rode around there I like that slick rock riding.I got myfather riding when he was 65 mostly only when I was there.I havent done any around Saint George except road. this year I have been riding my klr 250 ( My first dirt bike in 20 years I was on BMW road bikes) I live in El Paso and go out from here .After seeng your photos I now have new someday i will go there places.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #70
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Westerlywinds!

Great that you got your dad riding, too. As many inmates know, it is really very special to share some time together out on the road. My dad will occasionally do a short ride without me, but the vast majority of his riding is with me. My mom jokes -- this is good. I can keep my eye on him. Always good to have a buddy around (and a second bike!).

St. George really does have great riding in all directions. Lots of variety, and lots of it is very close to town. You don't have to go for more than 10 minutes to be in some really scenic areas. Also, the riding season really never closes down due to winter. It just doesn't get that cold. In fact, lots of the desert-type rides are better in the winter. In the summer, of course, the best way to beat the heat is to head for elevation.

RIde safe, Westerlywinds. Hope you make it to St. George with your bike, sooner rather than later.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #71
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thursday afternoon w/ Dad

Dad will be out of town this weekend . . . so when the opportunity for a Thursday afternoon ride presented itself . . .

About 45 miles of fun . . . good for the psyche . . . We went on pavement out to Kayenta, the out Old 91 to the Apex Mine Ride, the start of dirt. Up the Apex Mine Road, then down past the Bloomington Cave and eventually onto Navajo Drive (pavement) in Bloomington.

The ride is very similar to post 17 and post 44. Check out those posts complete with maps!!

Dad on his Honda, leading us through the roads of Kayenta. Fantastic development (very southwest) under the big red cliffs.

Aside: Quota -- I drove past the Sweet Pea Cafe and Bakery -- unfortunately, it is not looking good. I'll go back and more thoroughly investigate, but the first pass was not promising.

Our first break for a drink, on the Apex Mine Road (officially known as the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway).

The view down to the red cliffs of Ivins (Kayenta development). Pine Valley Mountain in distance. Great weather. Warm, and sunny.

We moved along pretty good, enjoying the ride and the changing views. Here's a pic at the start of our descent from the Apex Mine Road. From this point (high on the Utah hill, just under Jarvis Peak) all of western St. George is visible below. There are distant panoramic views to Sand Hollow Sand Dunes, the cliffs of Zion and the higher mountains near Brian Head (very distant). Pine Valley Mountain and all of its lower flanks (Snow Canyon State Park) are in prominent view.

On past rides, we have seen Rocky Mountain Sheep in the exact spot where this photo was taken. Fun!

At the side trail to the Bloomington Cave. Been to the entrance area before, but not today. All about the ride, not so much the photos. Some inmates in younger days may have spent time exploring the cave. My understanding is that in years past there was quite a lot of "activity" near the cave -- some of this info was gleaned from my nephews who grew up in the area. (I have only lived in St. George for ~5 years, so I don't have deep long-term knowledge.)

The road below here follows a wash. It is in pretty bad shape in a few spots. Looks like road grader is in position; perhaps some maintenance will be starting shortly. Enough loose rock (albeit) in flat sections, that I wouldn't take a really big bike through. You could make it, just too much loose crap. Our little bikes are just perfect.

This is also the stretch were Pop (father-in-law) dumped a couple of weeks ago. (No harm.)

A pic of the TW200 with the "White Hills" in the background. There is a way to snake through from this spot and come out in Santa Clara. It requires a bit of "maneuvering" but it can be done. The easy route from here is out to Navajo Drive in Bloomington.

Just put this Yamaha OEM rack on the TW. Seems like the right size. Thinking about the best tail bag. Anticipating a few longer trips (exploring, camping) on the AZ strip (North Rim of Grand Canyon) and out past Motoqua into Nevada, towards Caliente. The TW will need to carry quite a bit of extra gas (and water) for those trips.

Rack install was easy, except for coaxing one of the seat bolts to get started again. Painful waste of time. Today, the rack did fine on its initial shake-down ride.

Inmates and Lurkers -- if you get the chance to ride the Apex Mine Road and the area above Bloomington (Blakes Lambing Grounds), give it a chance. Nice variety of dirt and fantastic views. Very accessible from St. George.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #72
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Aside: Quota -- I drove past the Sweet Pea Cafe and Bakery -- unfortunately, it is not looking good. I'll go back and more thoroughly investigate, but the first pass was not promising.

Location closed? Thanks for checking. Seems like they pop up in a new/different spot every few months. A Google review from June showed them in business then.
I was going to ride that direction this weekend, but a 5-day weekend ride a few days ago has me a little behind on work. Still could happen, but more likely next week.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #73
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Very Nice!!

Hey Redrock,

Just found your thread today and am very glad I did!!

I am planning a long ride in your area in the spring. Your posts have got me even more excited than I was before

Thanks for all the info!

Michael
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #74
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Great thread, Redrock. I've been to Zion many times, but always ridden the East side around Kanab. I'll have to try the West side next time. Very interesting places. It's great to see you and your whole family enjoying the outdoors on bikes.It makes for a long enjoyable marriage.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #75
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Michael -- Look me up in St. George

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec181966 View Post
Hey Redrock,

Just found your thread today and am very glad I did!!

I am planning a long ride in your area in the spring. Your posts have got me even more excited than I was before

Thanks for all the info!

Michael
Hey Michael -- Glad the info is helping with the trip planning and adding to the anticipation. Are you planning to ride the Ninja or XT250? Southwest Utah has great road and dual sport riding. Give me a heads up if you have any specific questions. Better yet, let me know when you are coming through. Always good to get away for a short ride, street or dirt!!!

Ride safe, RedRockRider.