User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 410
Olympus Tough Series

I've been using an Olympus Tough 8000 at work which has been through sand storms in the dessert, submerged while swimming down rapids and dropped on rocks several times.
We're also using the newer versions 8010 and 8020. One of them spend a lot of time on my engine protector being hit by rocks from the front wheel.
- None of the 3 camera have ever failed, they're still going strong. I keep trying to kill mine.
- It is the only waterproof pocket cam with a protected lens.
- Especially the newer ones have a huge delay before you can take a photo. The older ones can be found cheep on the web.

--> They're great, if you want it tough.
--> For quick snapshots and image quality, there are better cameras on the market.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
I have a Canon PowerShot that is a good 5-6 years old. It's been through a full cycle in the washer, gotten wet in my pocket and had the lens jammed up by my 2-year-old. It still works fine.

Also, there are some other options that you may not have considered:

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,186
The no-excuses apocalypse-proof camera bar is set by an oddball camera: The Ricoh G700se. Good luck finding one, though.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
My pentax w20 has been through all kinds of hell. It has been in my pocket through numerous motorcycle crashes and quite a few snowboarding mishaps. I have ended up in the hospital a couple times while it was in my pocket and it still works. Its been diving, dropped off cliffs(20ft), dropped on floors, dropped in snow, frozen in ice, dropped in beer, run over, and generally battered. Its 7 years old now, the screen cracked a couple years back but it still works great. I've probably taken 10k pictures with it, if not more. When it dies I will be buying another Pentax W series, this one has impressed me.

Plus it takes pictures like this, not the greatest picture quality but it gets out of the way and lets me shoot what I want.

(Yeah it fell off that rock too)
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
I've broken two Nikons with drops. I am also rough on cameras. One Nikon's lens is stuck, I think a bug got stuck in the works since I mounted it on a RAM ball while I ride and take pictures. Plus it's been dropped a few times causing the lens to not close completely. The second Nikon got hooked onto a brake line I was making up for my pickup truck and pulled it off the fender onto the ground. Now the screen is black as well as all the shots. So my brother found a deal for an Olympus TG310 for $99 from Walgren's Online of all places. I think the deal only lasted one or two days. Still haven't taken any pictures with it just yet though.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
I've been using an Olympus Tough 8000 at work which has been through sand storms in the dessert, submerged while swimming down rapids and dropped on rocks several times.
We're also using the newer versions 8010 and 8020. One of them spend a lot of time on my engine protector being hit by rocks from the front wheel.
- None of the 3 camera have ever failed, they're still going strong. I keep trying to kill mine.
- It is the only waterproof pocket cam with a protected lens.
- Especially the newer ones have a huge delay before you can take a photo. The older ones can be found cheep on the web.

--> They're great, if you want it tough.
--> For quick snapshots and image quality, there are better cameras on the market.
+1

For ride reports/internet posting the Olympus is the best bet as it will be the hardest to kill from what I've read. As long as you aren't trying to get tons of action shots go with it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #22
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Just took some photos with my new Olympus TG310, not bad for a $99 camera.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: