User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
DesertSweeper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
LONG WAY DROWNED 3 (with apologies to Charlie and Co)

My dear fellow adventure riders this is an uncertain start to an uncertain adventure: the Long Way Drowned 3 tour of Cambodia. As always I must go back to explain…

Back in 2008 a bunch of intrepid explorers rode bikes through the Philippines. The trip was characterised by an excessive consumption of alcohol and general mayhem that led to the adoption of the name “Long Way Drowned” – as in drowning in alcohol. Sadly I was not on that particular adventure but indeed was blessed by joining the “Long Way Drowned 2 – Vietnam & Laos” in 2009. We rode 30 year old Russian 125cc strokers through the said countries…what a journey that was:

And then this year the lads started discussing the LWD3 trip to Cambodia. I ummed and ahhed and finally committed a few weeks back. And then it started raining. I write this intro from a hotel in Bangkok where the city is in the process of evacuating as the water rushes in. Tomorrow we hope to fly to Siem Reep to start the journey but there is talk of hiring boats not bikes. This will literally be “Drowned”…in water!

And so I am not sure we will actually be riding and I am not sure I will get internet to update the journey…but I assure you I will give it a damn good bash!

As is custom we landed at 6am this morning and after checking in at the hotel struck out down the seedy streets of Nana Plaza to sample the local beer. When booking the hotel I read this review: “Great cheap hotel. Clean, decent breakfast. Horrible location. Sleazy old men and bars everywhere”…booked it immediately – we do have a reputation to maintain!

Watch this space….
DesertSweeper is offline   Reply With Quote