ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #91
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Has anyone figured out what is done on non-USA bikes with the tap on the tank that would connect to the CC?

Is it simply capped off?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #92
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Has anyone figured out what is done on non-USA bikes with the tap on the tank that would connect to the CC?

Is it simply capped off?




Post #30, page 2.

The valve is still there, but the line it's in just vents to atmosphere instead of going into a carbon canister.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #93
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post



Post #30, page 2.

The valve is still there, but the line it's in just vents to atmosphere instead of going into a carbon canister.
STM:

Sorry I'm confused .... it's saturday...
Here' is the picture for USA bikes of the tank ... it looks the same to me?

Name:  tank1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  50.8 KB

See next post for other picture ... since I can only upload one picture per post....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #94
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Here is the CC layout on US bikes ... on Euro bikes what happens to the tank fitting to which #9 is attached, or does that attach somewhere else the fiche is not too clear on that ..............

Name:  tank2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  39.4 KB
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #95
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,285
You can get the Euro version of the microfiche here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #96
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Here is the CC layout on US bikes ... on Euro bikes what happens to the tank fitting to which #9 is attached, or does that attach somewhere else the fiche is not too clear on that ..............

Attachment 297388
My understanding is that the line (#9) leaves the tank, goes through the little valve (#8) and then runs to where I have my filter where it vents to the atmosphere.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #97
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
My understanding is that the line (#9) leaves the tank, goes through the little valve (#8) and then runs to where I have my filter where it vents to the atmosphere.
Wow... so they use TWO of the "ventilation valves" P/N: 16117721943 ?
Item #8 in the CC diagram, and item #17 in the tank diagram....
Item #17 being downstream of the tip-over valve and item #8 being connected directly to the tank ....

That kinda makes my head hurt ... more .... I think it is time for .......
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #98
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Wow... so they use TWO of the "ventilation valves" P/N: 16117721943 ?
Item #8 in the CC diagram, and item #17 in the tank diagram....
Item #17 being downstream of the tip-over valve and item #8 being connected directly to the tank ....

That kinda makes my head hurt ... more .... I think it is time for .......



I'm pretty sure that "Ventilation valve" (PN 16117721943) which appears in both the carbon canister diagram and the fuel tank diagram is actually the same piece. It certainly bears the same part number, and I am not aware of that valve being in two places on my bike. I think it's just a question of how the parts diagrams are drawn up. The exact same tank diagram is used for the euro model, so it has to include the valve, but in the USA they add the Carbon Canister diagram and include the valve again because it's part of the system. Just a little overlap.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #99
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post


I'm pretty sure that "Ventilation valve" (PN 16117721943) which appears in both the carbon canister diagram and the fuel tank diagram is actually the same piece. It certainly bears the same part number, and I am not aware of that valve being in two places on my bike. I think it's just a question of how the parts diagrams are drawn up. The exact same tank diagram is used for the euro model, so it has to include the valve, but in the USA they add the Carbon Canister diagram and include the valve again because it's part of the system. Just a little overlap.
Exactly. There's just one valve.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #100
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Ok my last stupid question for today:

So, what we're saying is that the hose that is shown as #18 in the tank diagram is the same as #7 in the CC diagram (for USA bikes)?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #101
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ok my last stupid question for today:

So, what we're saying is that the hose that is shown as #18 in the tank diagram is the same as #7 in the CC diagram (for USA bikes)?
Yes.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #102
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Thank you ...
Some of us are in the slow group

Where is that damn valve located physically on the bike??

I wondering what the downside would be of taking the thing out completely....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #103
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thank you ...
Some of us are in the slow group

Where is that damn valve located physically on the bike??

I wondering what the downside would be of taking the thing out completely....



18 inches behind the filler neck..... Take off the right side tank plastic... you will see it.... Little 25mm long aluminum canister....by 7mm diameter....

NONE



Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #104
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
sigh..........

Ok my new replacement tank (about 6 months old) has started to crack, small crack at present, but it's there.
I still have the canister system installed as original - did did not want to get in a fight about the tank swap not being covered because I HAD removed the canister ...

I think the replacement tank should have a 2-year warranty maybe parts only ... not labor ???

I know the dealer inspected the pressure/vacuum valve when my new tank was installed, but may not have checked for a plugged canister.


If the canister is working properly I think air should pass freely in both directions on all three fittings of the canister (in from tank / out to engine / vent).

Does this sound right? I likely should either inspect the canister ............ once I'm sure I know what to expect....

Then make a plan ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #105
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ok my new replacement tank (about 6 months old) has started to crack, small crack at present, but it's there.
I still have the canister system installed as original - did did not want to get in a fight about the tank swap not being covered because I HAD removed the canister ...

I think the replacement tank should have a 2-year warranty maybe parts only ... not labor ???

I know the dealer inspected the pressure/vacuum valve when my new tank was installed, but may not have checked for a plugged canister.


If the canister is working properly I think air should pass freely in both directions on all three fittings of the canister (in from tank / out to engine / vent).

Does this sound right? I likely should either inspect the canister ............ once I'm sure I know what to expect....

Then make a plan ....
Yeppers on the 24 month warranty on the parts... At least thats what my dealer states as well. Personally I would rip out the cc... Just for good measure. I reinstalled the pressure/vacuum valve in my filter....as it is minimizing the fuel oders venting to the outside...and I have had no issues with over pressurized tank. My opinion..... Even with an over pressurized tank....ie... malfunctioning vent system..... it will NOT cause the tank to crack...... You would need to engage with pressures and vacuum numbers....far greater than what the bike would tolerate..... I really think bad casting is the issue here.... Mine is '09....HOT desert.... lots of uv..... not a thing... Just imho....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014