ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #31
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Well a tag game isn't much without a couple of nuts to keep it moving.

Visiting nuts welcome.

Wait, isn't this tag fairly close to you?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #32
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Wait, isn't this tag fairly close to you?

Aww go piss up a rope.

BTW, it's snowing like poop just south of me right now. Yellow Mountain just disappeared...

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #33
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Yep! Something is in the air. I have a nice view(usually) of Hogback Mountain on Skyline drive. Can't even see it.

You better get cracking on that tag!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #34
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I'm headed out to Belize to get this tag. Meet me there at 3:30 if you want to check some of the roads around there. Also have a pretty killer spot to stick SeeDo. Hoping I'm not about to get bruced.

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #35
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not bruced, and SeeDo now has an amazing view! More on this new tag spot when I return home. If I return home. Getting down will be harder than coming up.
Attached Images

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #36
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Tag Spot is not for the faint of heart

First of all, what a great ride up to Sugar Hollow Resevoir. Once the snow/freezing rain stopped, the sun came out, the road dried up, the KLR ran great, and SeeDo was right where he was last left. I grabbed him, and we hung out, enjoyed the scenery, and got hydrated:

By the way, Cameron, you weren't kidding when you mentioned getting your feet wet. I was able to hike up the river though, cross, and cross back again without getting wet, but it was quite a trek. The water level was high enough to make getting across quite the chore. And no, I was not going to ride my KLR across the stream, though that might have been easier.

I left Sugar Hollow, hung a left at the Whitehall Store, and headed towards my hometown. On the way, I remembered an old spot where I've gone 4-wheeling in my truck. And though it's been years, I figured It would still make a good place for the new tag.

On the way from Whitehall to this place I passed a Mission Home, The Walton's homeplace, The Trading Post, and Bacon Hollow. I stopped when I got to a road named for the mountain to which it leads, and where SeeDo now sits. Considering the three to five inches of precipitation some of us got last night, and for the first time this winter, this was an appropriate road and mountain for today's tag.

If you figured out the right road, and you get out there, you'll see a gravel road called "Old Mountain Road." Don't worry about that "Private Road, Dead End, No Trespassing" sign on the "Old Mountain Road" signpost. I've been up this road many times, and the guy on the 4-wheeler I met at the top today assured me it's not big deal for a dude (or dudette) on a motorcycle to come retrieve a purple monkey from this spot. Many people come up here for many reasons. 4-wheeling, 2-wheeling, and hang-gliding. You'll see why when you get to the top. Time to leave the Snow, and hit the Old.

This road will quickly head up the mountain, and it's not a smooth ride. When you get to an "intersection" with this sign that's seen better days, go left (up):

And when you get to the next intersection, go left again, though there's no street sign this time. In this pic, my bike is coming down from the tag spot:

And, if your tires and tenacity got you to the tag spot, you'll be rewarded by this view:

SeeDo is hidden under this railroad tie. You'll have to go down to the white carpet, turn around and look back up to see him. The carpet is what the hang glider folks use to get good footing for take-off :

I hope you all don't find this tag too "Out there" but I sure had a lot of fun placing it. If nobody goes to get it, I'll have a lot of fun going to get it and moving it in a few days.

Mad respect points to anybody that retrieves SeeDo from this spot. It was harder to ride up that road than I expected it to be. Don't bring your goldwing for this one!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #37
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD;17187311

And, if your tires and tenacity got you to the tag spot, you'll be rewarded by this view:

[IMG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TEk85XXpOCA/Tqx460HX9zI/AAAAAAAAAMs/qHWxA0V7TPQ/s800/IMG_00026.jpg[/IMG]

I hope you all don't find this tag too "Out there" but I sure had a lot of fun placing it. If nobody goes to get it, I'll have a lot of fun going to get it and moving it in a few days.

Mad respect points to anybody that retrieves SeeDo from this spot. It was harder to ride up that road than I expected it to be. Don't bring your goldwing for this one!
I like the new location! Just have to figure out where it is. You know...you can't grab and re-move your own tag. Someone will grab it eventually...
I've set a couple tags like this on the NWVA tag game. It took awhile for someone to grab but it was worth it! I may have to set a double tag down that way in the near future. I know a couple great spots.
I've been hesitant to set the NWVA tag down that way because of a lack of enthused players but I see that may not be the case.

An hour from Charlottesville eh? You know, I figure about three more regional games and the entire state will be covered...not to mention the state tag.
Sorry to hijack the game. Tag on!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #38
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Right on, glad to know someone appreciates this spot, even without seeing it yet. Because I can guarantee that whoever goes and gets this tag, assuming they can get up and down snow mountain safely, will be glad they did.

I will also say that my iPhone GPS said I was on Mattie's Run Rd, which is not correct, but that road is close by.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #39
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Great looking spot; never been there before but I think I know where it is. If no one gets it before Thursday I'm going to give it a shot. That is my next day off when I'll be in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
I'm headed out to Belize to get this tag. Meet me there at 3:30 if you want to check some of the roads around there. Also have a pretty killer spot to stick SeeDo. Hoping I'm not about to get bruced.
Sorry to not meet you in Belize, it would have been much more fun than sitting in the snow in the cellphone lot at IAD waiting for a flight that got grounded in Philly which is where I was at 3:30 yesterday.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #40
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Delayed at Dulles, can't think of a worse way to spend a beautiful fall afternoon, except maybe delayed a Reagan.

Curious, did you ride across the water, or walk across getting your feet wet, or find a dry rock crossing?

Also, the Belize clue was great. I was literally trying to figure out what to type into a Google search to get the name of the snorkeling spot in Belize when it hit me. Duhh.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #41
Starbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
So, is Seedo still awaiting being found from Cameron's last hide...
89' Honda TransAlp
97' Honda XR250
00' BMW R11RTS
07' BMW R12GSA
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #42
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
So, is Seedo still awaiting being found from Cameron's last hide...
Nope. FATNBLD hid it on some mountain top overlooking a nice view on a private road. I am looking out my office window right now wishing I could leave work and go get it!

I might have to join or race Cameron to it on Thursday to get it unless someone else gets it before then.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #43
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No, SeeDo was retrieved from blue hole on saturday. And he was placed in a spot with an amazing view on Snow Mountain.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #44
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dang I might have to take off Thursday and go watch the race!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #45
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
No, SeeDo was retrieved from blue hole on saturday. And he was placed in a spot with an amazing view on Snow Mountain.
Now I'll never be able to figure out the clues...