ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Definite Committed Interest in this bracket?
950 SE-R 18 14.06%
990, 950 ADV 110 85.94%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #76
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,704
The problem is not adding, but removing material.

The replacement frame I got had slightly bigger radius at the specific spot, no more material or anything else that I could see, changed. If thickness was slightly beefed up, I didn't see. The problem rose from the engine vibrations. If the sidestand bracket distributes these in a wider area, that is a plus. I just saw the grinding operation and thought I should bring up old memories.
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #77
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 116
I got a new skid plate from Weld86, and decided to go with his sidestand relocation bracket as well. The bracket is a flat plate made of 1/4" aluminum that basically bolts up in the same location using longer fasteners. The plate is also longer and bolts to two additional locations as well - an unused threaded hole in the engine case (forward of the sidestand) and the centerstand pivot bolt. A spacer is required to utilize the threaded hole. After looking at the system, I decided it didn't add much. As others have reported, aluminum is 3 times more flexible than the steel (given the same dimensions), and flat plate is not very stiff to begin with. My conclusion is that the bolts through the original mount will be way stiffer than the aluminum bracket, and will likely crack under the same circumstances as if no bracket had been installed. I agree that for the relocation bracket to be effective, the original mounting holes shouldn't be used at all. Still, it can't hurt, right?

Not so fast. I'm not thrilled with replacing the factory fasteners, which appear to be galvanized, with the Zinc plated/unplated bolts supplied with the relocation kit. I'm seriously considering going back to the stock setup.

So a question for you all. I talked to our local mechanic, and he said the sidestand bracket/case cracking issue is only a problem if you mount your bike by standing on the pegs with the sidestand down. Someone else on this thread also mentioned this. so, can we eliminate the problem just by mounting the bike correctly?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #78
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_jb View Post
So a question for you all. I talked to our local mechanic, and he said the sidestand bracket/case cracking issue is only a problem if you mount your bike by standing on the pegs with the sidestand down. Someone else on this thread also mentioned this. so, can we eliminate the problem just by mounting the bike correctly?
Mounting the bike using the side stand, sitting on the bike with the side stand, it just shouldn’t be done irrespective of bike. Two much force on a small area, the side stand pivot plate is 8mm steel and I bent mine all luggage up and weakened by an off. If you’re not off roading and mounting your beast correctly and are gentle with the side stand I see no reason for any issues and a long and healthy partnership. But if you’re pivoting the bike on the stand, breaking beads, general life and falling off you need to change tactic to protect your engine case.

A good solution in my opinion is Hair’s mod or the original 950R’s, welded to the foot peg support area. Without welding all the other side stand modifications are compromises, including my own. For me, the ultimate scenario is damage limitation, I spent quite some time thinking about this, material, size and fixing points, also the location, having the side stand in the original location but not attached to the engine case still leaves it out of the way, with only the leg and foot exposed to an off/fall, unlike attaching it to the foot peg location. Also not too strong as to be eliminating all weak points and damaging the frame etc. My SE plate does as I intended it to do.

Name:  008-vert.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  81.0 KB

charlie264 screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 05:40 AM
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #79
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
The replacement frame I got had slightly bigger radius at the specific spot, no more material or anything else that I could see, changed. If thickness was slightly beefed up, I didn't see. The problem rose from the engine vibrations. If the sidestand bracket distributes these in a wider area, that is a plus. I just saw the grinding operation and thought I should bring up old memories.
Cheers.
Gefr your original point of not removing any webbing to me is still invalid when adding a side stand relocater; all the bust frames had their webbing intact. Looking at two photos from a 07 and 03 frame there is less material on the 07. Thanks for highlighting it, but I think it's still has more to do with the early frames geometry (flex) and material used.

Top 07.
Name:  DSC00003-vert.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  61.8 KB

charlie264 screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 06:38 PM
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #80
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Guys I am down to the last couple of Adv locaters with more promises than relocaters, sorry itís going to be first come first served. If people are committed I will have some more made up, but itís quite an expensive exercise and there is a minimum amount I can have made or the price would be at least double, four or five just isnít viable. If I receive more orders I will go ahead and have some more made, about 2 weekís turnaround.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #81
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
What do I need to do?

Hi,

I am definitely interested in an ADV relocater. Just PM with me the cost and what the full kit comprises of and how we get you the coinage. I live in Chile so need a complete fit solution. Mates coming out end of Dec (for the Dakar ) .they can fetch it over so UK delivery to Manchester area only needed.

Cheers - Martyn

P.S Not clear on your comments on sidestand mounting. I am a bit short of leg and ride a 990R. Loaded with luggage I dont have much of an option which is why I am looking for this kind of kit....is it going to survive? I do try and balance the bike up as I mount so I am not loading it up overly. Sorry.....

P.P.S. My name is Martyn.....I break beads. No option puncture here in Chile mean you are proper out in the wilds. Will it survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Guys I am down to the last couple of Adv locaters with more promises than relocaters, sorry it’s going to be first come first served. If people are committed I will have some more made up, but it’s quite an expensive exercise and there is a minimum amount I can have made or the price would be at least double, four or five just isn’t viable. If I receive more orders I will go ahead and have some more made, about 2 week’s turnaround.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #82
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Guys I am down to the last couple of Adv locaters with more promises than relocaters, sorry itís going to be first come first served. If people are committed I will have some more made up, but itís quite an expensive exercise and there is a minimum amount I can have made or the price would be at least double, four or five just isnít viable. If I receive more orders I will go ahead and have some more made, about 2 weekís turnaround.
Slight hijack of thread, sorry, but I have some auxiliary lighting brackets which I had made thinking there may be a demand earlier this year but sold only 2.They mount under headlight using the grill mounting points and has worked well on both my Adv's. The grill is left off but with 3 LEDs mounted it looks quite tidy and keeps the lamps out of harms way unlike the fork or fairing mounts.Any body interested? I can add some pics if necessary. Cost £25 + postage to UK
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #83
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post

Cheers - Martyn

P.S Not clear on your comments on sidestand mounting. I am a bit short of leg and ride a 990R. Loaded with luggage I dont have much of an option which is why I am looking for this kind of kit....is it going to survive? I do try and balance the bike up as I mount so I am not loading it up overly. Sorry.....

P.P.S. My name is Martyn.....I break beads. No option puncture here in Chile mean you are proper out in the wilds. Will it survive?
I will have some more made, itís a bit of a dilemma for me. I.e. throwing a few hundred quid at it, the numbers on the poll do not reflect the numbers who have paid up....

Anyhow, mounting your bike using the side stand is more likely to bend the plate (9) (60103028000) that connects the side stand leg to the side stand block than bend the relocater, but I donít recommend putting your full body weight and luggage on the side stand full stop. Trent and I have both bent this plate (9).

Name:  untitled.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  26.1 KB

charlie264 screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 04:55 PM
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #84
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,300
Sorry if this is redundant, maybe I missed it, but how much for the plate for a 950 including shipping to the US? Maybe making it clear what is available and for what prices would bring the orders in. As far as I can tell, you only have plates for the SE and the price is a mystery.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #85
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Sorry if this is redundant, maybe I missed it, but how much for the plate for a 950 including shipping to the US? Maybe making it clear what is available and for what prices would bring the orders in. As far as I can tell, you only have plates for the SE and the price is a mystery.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731769
Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #86
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,300
Thanks! So $96.13 including shipping.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #87
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,125
I got $104.11

https://www.google.com/finance?hl=en...ed=0CCoQ5QYwAA

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #88
ACP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Thanks! So $96.13 including shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Depends if you include the £5 Stainless Spacer or not. If you have the centre stand fitted you don't need it...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #89
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update: Sorry for the delay, I got the new SE/Adv Side Stand plates back today; they are with the millers and then off to to be sand blasted and powder coated, been told they will be ready to go on Monday.

charlie264 screwed with this post 11-15-2011 at 04:05 PM
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #90
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mk2

I’ve made a few modifications to the new Adv/SE relocaters; on the original design, the fixing holes were within 0.5 mm I wanted it to be 0.2mm but my tool maker engineer master said tolerance is tolerance, stick with 0.5mm to start with, now the plates have been fitted to numerous SE’s and Adv’s with good results and feedback I’ve elected to revert back to a 0.2mm tolerance. Basically this means the plates sit tighter on the supporting bolts, I now know that the dimensions and KTM’s accuracy is consistent and universal.

Also the new Adv plates made from 8mm thick steel compared to 6mm, the SE plates are still 6mm, as on my own bike. Two reasons for this, the extra material removed from the plate to accommodate the Adv, BD, G-IT sump guards, it’s going to make the side stand relocater more ridged and stronger. And also to accommodate modifications guys have made for the early 03-04 frames, (KTM Forum UK). It’s now comparable to KTM’s 8mm side strand bracket plate, meaning a point of give is more even and equal.

Trying to keep an objective view, but I think this is the best solution available without welding to the frame. I’m really happy with the results and outcome of these relocaters; it has taken an incredible amount of effort to get the measurements precise, we are talking a 10th of a mm here, thank you Mike and ACP.

If you’re interested please CLICK for more details.

Name:  DSC00003.JPG
Views: 3855
Size:  139.0 KB

charlie264 screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 05:55 PM