User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
WRichter
Happy F800GS Owner

Oddometer: 18
Hello,
I'll do the 2012's Intercontinental Rally in "Full Adventure" mode.
My bike BMW F800GS, my aka ? "WRichter".

See U in this Race !
Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
ptit_maurice
Adventurer

This aprem, a small training session, watch the video : ICI
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
WRichter
Happy F800GS Owner

Here are two little movies of my preparation (2 bags) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUbNODgToGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsQ5L47g4To

Please, feel free to comment.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #19
Ferrys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Little more I can say. This was last week's Africa Race to Atar. We will be there in one month.

">

Ferrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
WRichter
Happy F800GS Owner

Some pictures before the race :

Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichter View Post
Here are two little movies of my preparation (2 bags) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUbNODgToGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsQ5L47g4To

Please, feel free to comment.
Loved your vids! What spares do you take on the bike? Looking at your first video, it all might be a bit heavy in the bike...
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Weekend Hack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Questions about the IR

For those that have participated in and completed this rally I have a few questions.

I was wondering how easy and cost of hiring race support and an estimated cost for average service. It seams like riders from an area put together a team and hire support trucks, as I am American it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to put together such an effort. I looks like the IR website recommends VYPE as a service provider, has anyone used them and how what can I expect?

This is perhaps more for the race management but will they have this rally if the Dakar Rally returns to Africa? I don't want to put a ton of effort into setting up a campaign if the race is going to fold.

I understand that there are race and adventure divisions so my riding ability would not limit my entry but I am wondering how competitive the race division is? I see from previous posts in this thread that others have entered GS1200ADV in the race division so their must be a broad range of bikes.

I am sorry if this seams like a lot of questions but its a big undertaking. I am sure there are more things i am not thinking of so If anyone has any anything they would like to share about their experiences I would enjoy hearing about it.
Weekend Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
Ferrys
Adventurer

This will be the second edition. It will be difficult for anyone to answer your questions.
But, according to my experience, you have to think the other way around. When we started the preparation for the rally, the biggest problem was getting people's commitment. Many people may be interested, but few will go ahead.
Therefore, if you contact any of the teams at an early stage, and give your commitment, you will have a good start point.

Of course nobody knows what the future will bring, but nobody sees the Dakar comming back to Africa in the short term. Furthermore, the dates are different and I believe the idea behind the rally is also different.

Even not a Dakar rally here, Africa is competitive. Doesn't matter how you look at it. It will take its toll. Everybody is different and have a different goal. I think the goal of all competitors is arriving at the Lake rose. We have many kms per day in hostile environments.

The choice of bike, is also very personal. My experience with big twins is they are good for the road and that's it.
In our team we have 3 WR450, 1 EXC530 and 1 DRZ. In Africa roads can have nasty surprises so you should stick to a sensible speed. On the track, depends on the rider's ability of course, but an enduro machine will do well in the rocks and sand and a big twin..................

Don't forget to contact the organization. They will be able to help you. They are very communicative. I also think that the rally will grow in the comming years making a more appealing route. More Mauritania (???)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #24
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrys View Post
This will be the second edition. It will be difficult for anyone to answer your questions.
But, according to my experience, you have to think the other way around. When we started the preparation for the rally, the biggest problem was getting people's commitment. Many people may be interested, but few will go ahead.
Therefore, if you contact any of the teams at an early stage, and give your commitment, you will have a good start point.

Of course nobody knows what the future will bring, but nobody sees the Dakar comming back to Africa in the short term. Furthermore, the dates are different and I believe the idea behind the rally is also different.

Even not a Dakar rally here, Africa is competitive. Doesn't matter how you look at it. It will take its toll. Everybody is different and have a different goal. I think the goal of all competitors is arriving at the Lake rose. We have many kms per day in hostile environments.

The choice of bike, is also very personal. My experience with big twins is they are good for the road and that's it.
In our team we have 3 WR450, 1 EXC530 and 1 DRZ. In Africa roads can have nasty surprises so you should stick to a sensible speed. On the track, depends on the rider's ability of course, but an enduro machine will do well in the rocks and sand and a big twin..................

Don't forget to contact the organization. They will be able to help you. They are very communicative. I also think that the rally will grow in the comming years making a more appealing route. More Mauritania (???)
Sent you a pm......
BajaRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
Video for the first African stage

http://youtu.be/UhQwApRxIi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQwA...ature=youtu.be

" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/embed/UhQwApRxIi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
biggles0449
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Hack View Post
For those that have participated in and completed this rally I have a few questions.

I was wondering how easy and cost of hiring race support and an estimated cost for average service. It seams like riders from an area put together a team and hire support trucks, as I am American it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to put together such an effort. I looks like the IR website recommends VYPE as a service provider, has anyone used them and how what can I expect?

This is perhaps more for the race management but will they have this rally if the Dakar Rally returns to Africa? I don't want to put a ton of effort into setting up a campaign if the race is going to fold.

I understand that there are race and adventure divisions so my riding ability would not limit my entry but I am wondering how competitive the race division is? I see from previous posts in this thread that others have entered GS1200ADV in the race division so their must be a broad range of bikes.

I am sorry if this seams like a lot of questions but its a big undertaking. I am sure there are more things i am not thinking of so If anyone has any anything they would like to share about their experiences I would enjoy hearing about it.

A little bit off topic, but you could always check out the Heroes Legend Rally, it's been running a few years now and has a very good feel to it, everyone I know that has raced it [including some very well known Dakar veterans] says it's how the Dakar used to be. And how a rally should be. Its a very popular race with many options on bike hire and support.

Alot of my friends have raced it and there are now 2 options, regularity or racing, which opens it up to more of a wider audience.. just something else to consider.

There are many service teams around Europe, but the 2 best ones to my knowledge are Desert Rose Racing [UK] & Memotours [Holland], both can supply bikes etc and do full spanner service.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRichter View Post
Hello,
I'll do the 2012's Intercontinental Rally in "Full Adventure" mode.
My bike BMW F800GS, my aka ? "WRichter".

See U in this Race !
I've just read on fB that our friend WRichter had some mechanical problems and had to stop
While PtitMaurice is still struggling on his beast , can't wait for their tales!

Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #28
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
I've just read on fB that our friend WRichter had some mechanical problems and had to stop
While PtitMaurice is still struggling on his beast , can't wait for their tales!

1200GS! Thats tremendous. Good for him. Crazy nut.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
Statdawg
Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
1200GS! Thats tremendous. Good for him. Crazy nut.
What an accomplishment.

He is known in the EU for many GS Challenge podiums. Germany, France, Belgium, Touratech Hq event to name a few.
Statdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #30
Ferrys
Adventurer

Big respect for Vincent. Incredible how he could hadle that beast in those conditions. But the most important he was always with a big smile on his face. We just arrived home, but they decided to come back on theroad. They must be still in southern Morocco. We felt sorry about the tent, hopefully something was arranged. You are the big winner