ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #46
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Curious, did you ride across the water, or walk across getting your feet wet, or find a dry rock crossing?

Also, the Belize clue was great. I was literally trying to figure out what to type into a Google search to get the name of the snorkeling spot in Belize when it hit me. Duhh.
Glad you liked the clue, I was a bit worried it was too oblique but then I tried doing a google image search for "belize scuba" and pictures of belize's blue hole come right up. As for crossing I first rock hopped across (the water was lower before that mornings rain) and then rode across and back stopping in the middle. The slab I parked on was only about an inch deep so I didn't end up with wet feet even though I was just wearing blunstones.

Tuffstuff, lets go rescue the little guy, he's probably freezing his butt off up there.

Starbuck, you should play hookie and go with us too I bet we can get the big gs at least part way up there and it would sure be fun to try...
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #47
Starbuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I am up for it, today is going to be a great ride day, let me know about possible times.
89' Honda TransAlp
97' Honda XR250
00' BMW R11RTS
07' BMW R12GSA
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #48
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 462
You guys have fun rescuing him today and put him in a good place for us to get him this weekend :) Sorry I can't join you!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
And, if your tires and tenacity got you to the tag spot, you'll be rewarded by this view:

Grab on Snow mountain off Old Mountain Road

First thing first, an award to Starbuck:

The Big Brass Balls award

Quote:
Mad respect points to anybody that retrieves SeeDo from this spot. It was harder to ride up that road than I expected it to be. Don't bring your goldwing for this one!
ok now on with the story about the pickup.

It was a beautiful day for a ride and true to his word Starbuck played hookie from work to join me.

And here is SeeDo pointing to why he gets the award

Check out that rubber and the lack of treads. That's no TKC on that big ass GSA

On the way up he was undaunted by a quick slip into the ditch

and rode out of it without any excitement beyond some tire spin.

Here is a shot of the award recipient at the tag spot.

Fortunately there was no more excitement on the way down. That is a great road and a cool place to explore for anyone in the area.

cameron110 screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 04:22 PM
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

New Tag

We went from one of the most beautiful spots in the area to one that could use a little help. We passed this on the way.

And stopped here

If you lived out near me in Earlysville and decided you needed to go shopping for a new couch you could find this road as you went directly to Walmart to buy your new cheap Chinese pink pleather beanbag. Conveniently you could follow in the steps of others and get rid of your old couch on the way.

SeeDo couldn't believe someone would do something so rude so he decided to hang out to yell at the next person who tries to drop off their garbage in this otherwise lovely spot.

TuffStuff this one is right in your backyard too, I'll buy you a beer if you make a night grab on this one.

cameron110 screwed with this post 11-03-2011 at 06:26 PM Reason: cause I suck at spelling the first time
Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #51
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 462
This is certainly close to me and an offer for free beer and of course the bragging rights in rescuing Sea-Doo at night was too much for me to resist. The minute I read your post I got up from the couch and went straight down there.

BUT, although I made a valiant attempt at rescuing the little Sea-Doo from the cold tonight I bailed in my mission right at the rescue site. There were two cars parked only meters down from where Sea-Doo sits, I rode by them and saw people inside (lights off and everything) so when I turned around to go get Sea-Doo I decided I didn't want to be an unarmed girl alone in the woods with whoever they were and they definitely saw me. Poor Sea-Doo is probably scared but he's safe and he'll be okay til the morning and I'll get up early and go get him when the sun is up ... unless someone else is out tonight and beats me to him! :)
Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #52
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Two on me when we cross paths in person for the attempt and the wisdom to come home safe.

Now if anyone beats Tuffstuff there by heading out with some backup ( ) I'll buy them beer too. We can't leave that poor purple ape all alone with those shifty characters running around the woods.

or maybe they were just out there to pick up some of the litter....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #53
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron110 View Post
Fortunately there was no more excitement on the way down. That is a great road and a cool place to explore for anyone in the area.
Glad you guys had at least as much fun as I had on those roads. And yeah, I definitely plan on going up there again.

I got some feedback that it may be a good idea to amend the rules so as to prohibit tag spots on private property, such as the last tag at the top of Snow Mountain.

Anybody have any thoughts on that? Do I need to prohibit that, or can we all just use common sense when placing a tag?

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #54
mriderleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
The rules are ok, we don't follow them anyway.

Quote:
I got some feedback that it may be a good idea to amend the rules so as to prohibit tag spots on private property, such as the last tag at the top of Snow Mountain.

Anybody have any thoughts on that? Do I need to prohibit that, or can we all just use common sense when placing a tag?

As I haven't played yet and don't even live near Charlottesville, you may ignore my feedback without consequences.

I recommend no changes to the rules.

Rule 3. To play, go for a ride. Find the location tagged in the previous post. Keep riding. Find a new place, and take a picture of it. THEN POST BOTH PICTURES TOGETHER.
Only one of the posts so far has followed this rule - even the first tag showed SeeDo before he was hidden.

Rule 3 again. ~ You may not claim a tag and ask others to wait until you find a new place to tag.
Post #18. "Pics of new tag spot coming soon. "
Post #20. "I'll have a new one up by tonight. "

Part of Rule 1. The road on which your tag resides MUST be a legal road for motorcycle use!!!

Based on how closely y'all have been following the other rules, I submit that this covers the part about private property.

Leave the rules alone, this isn't a competition, we just need some general guidelines that ought to be followed but won't get us banned if we fail to follow them.

Leon.
mriderleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #55
DZ23451
Drank the Kool-Aid

Oddometer: 47
Tag

OK, so Tuffstuff and I went riding today with a great group of guys that showed us some nice roads and trails close to her (and my home away from) home. 132 miles today but after lunch all she could talk about was going to get seadoo. She was disappointed that she didn't get him last night. So off we go after lunch with jps1933, who came down from PA to ride with us.
First she thought she got bruced:

Attached Images

04 SE Electra glide
04 MonsterS4
02 DR650
04 KTM 625 SXC
DZ23451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #56
DZ23451
Drank the Kool-Aid

Tag

I guess the little fella got hungry in the night...we saw a bobcat leaving his hiding spot and it looked like he and seadoo killed and fed
Sure glad she didn't get him at night!
Attached Images

04 SE Electra glide
04 MonsterS4
02 DR650
04 KTM 625 SXC
Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #57
DZ23451
Drank the Kool-Aid

Tag

She found him fat and happy next to the couch!
1100 of Rio Mills Rd.
Attached Images

04 SE Electra glide
04 MonsterS4
02 DR650
04 KTM 625 SXC
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #58
DZ23451
Drank the Kool-Aid

Tag

Tuff decided since he'd had so much to eat, he'd probably enjoy a drink. We found him a little spot at this water crossing. The clue is: the road is 3 words and it's definitely not Doe Valley Chevy!

The little guy is sitting in the tree watching the waterhttp://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...y/b7e94932.jpg
It looks like this as you come up on it;
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums[I...y/c0074786.jpg
Look right and you'll find him "hanging out"http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...y/18732817.jpg
Attached Images

04 SE Electra glide
04 MonsterS4
02 DR650
04 KTM 625 SXC

DZ23451 screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 03:50 PM Reason: fixing pic link
Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #59
DZ23451
Drank the Kool-Aid

Tag