Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #211
NomadS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams View Post
Running 55w in the in middle as my lowbeam, then the two hids as my highbeam....
Looks great.. can't fit one between the lights on my f650gs though.
NomadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #212
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Anyone else mount up Clearwater Kristas to an f8gs?

Wondering where you chose to put the relay with special connectors. It's a bit limiting with shortish special connector wires.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #213
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Completed install of Rigid Dually (amber) and Clear Water Kristas. I mounted the Kirsta on an EZ mount (having removed my POS TT SCMR 16s after 3rd) and Dually's hanging off the crash bars.

I'm generally pleased but haven't done night ride and need to stand the test of time. Both kits could use a couple of improvements.

Most troublesome for me was the connector box on the Kristas as short leads were very limiting in its placement. The 'volume' control for dimming is conveniently located on the left mirror mount but both lights and volume have to connect to the relay box and there's no lengthening the set up. I tried several places but ultimately ended up in the maelstrom that exists under the beak. It should be in the upper fairing on the left side.

There are a bunch of wires on the Kristas - which adds nice capability but lots of routing. As the connector box is under the beak, I ran the power source to the right side of the bike and everything else on the left (flash, horn, volume, switched x 2)

The Dually kit was good save the switch. The switch has a very thin concealment ring and rather than use a nut on back to fasten relies on a pinch mechanism - I solved the jiggle with a couple of extra zip ties. Both switches seem a bit aggressive with their LED 'On' indicators. Each is blazing red and seem brighter than some stock head lamps. Might be a bit distracting at night. I'd prefer happy green and half the lumens.

I took the time to wrap all wires with extra sleeve for abrasion, heat and to avoid the high school science fair look.

As part of this install, I added an Eastern Beaver PC8 with 30 amp shorty kit and canbus resistror I was hoping to tidy up the rats nest I had on the battery but may have made it worse. The box gives me 6 switched and 2 un-switched circuits. It seems well made but placement on the f8gs was sub optimal - not much space to work with. I'm running a Shorai battery and without its small footprint not sure I could have fit it. And now, if I need a replacement battery and Shorai is not available I'm going to need to make several adjustments.

Edit 4/11/12 - > Might want to read Wisman's Shorai test if you are considering this battery.

How about some pics.

Bench full of wires, wrap, heat shrink, connectors etc.

Playing with layout

Switch upgrade wanted on the Dually

FN Krista connector box with short leads and no options

Third placement has the reach, stormy real estate though

Special

Where it ought to be (and final wiring from the top)

Dimmer just right of ABS kill

Feeding the PC8

Everything I needed except for

the toilet plunger I used to jam in the relay for the PC8

Dually only

Dually & Krista's ignited at 80% (no stock lamp burning)

Krista on minimum setting

Full frontal probably shortened the life of my pas sensor

PS - 8/18/11

A couple of things I wanted to add but didn't have pics or bits for:

1st is power to relay charging the switched circuits on the PC8. I used the f8gs special connector (white plug to yellow wire / posi connect at center of pic,) found the hot and clipped the other wires. Ran positive into PC8 which means the switched circuits cut out a minute or few (I've never timed it) after the bike is shut off. The PC8 has un-switched circuits which I use for GPS - more better.

Also -

Clearwater Kristas dim but can be connected to horn / brights to instant up to 100%. I skipped the horn because I didn't like wire set up with steering range - could be worked around if you planned for it but the way my wires were fixed it wasn't worth it to me.

I did want brights to fire Kristas to 100%. This is a nice feature as you can run them as night markers @20% then when alone hit the brights and cook the critters stalking you. Kill the brights and drop from 100% back to dimmer setting. Perfect.

I ran the wire (white) up through the vent for the bright and used a posi tap to connect hots. It's tight in there but works.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 12:39 PM Reason: Added notes on power for PC8 & bright switch, reposted pics after Apple bailed on Mobile Me. Now on smugmug!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #214
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606
wow!!!!

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #215
Mark5PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Less than $20 at Auto zone.

Endless Mountains,PA
Mark5PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #216
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Has anyone installed HIDs in their driving lights (such as PIAA 510's)? I'm thinking about putting in some 3000k yellow HIDs in my PIAA 510's. HIDs use 70watts total compared to the 110w I'm currently using with the stock bulbs.
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #217
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
$18.89 @ Walmart. Dual 55 watt halogens mounted on the SW motech bars. Fused and hardwired to the battery with a rocker switch mounted on the handlebars. 10 minute install. Running them is like having a high beam down low. Lights grounded to the crash bars. Switch grounded to the dash mount. Only wire that needed running was the positive one. And I didn't need to cut into the stock wiring system at all.

Sealed impact resistant weather proof housing but it doesn't matter if they break. Cost was less than a meal out. Swamped em in mud and threw rocks at em this weekend on the Uwharrie ORV area. They work like a champ. Actually needed them to stay visible for oncoming ATVs/Buggies on some of the faster dustier roads.

I also changed out my stock Canbuss accessory outlet with a fused replacement from Gerbing at the same time. Found out the hard way on the side of the road that the stock Canbuss adapter aint worth sh#t. Pardon my french. But it won't run any of the portable air pumps that BMW sells as accessories for their bikes. It's under-engineered to trip out @ like 8 amps draw and left me stranded with a flat tire. POS. Replaced it as soon as I got home from that ride. Why in the world would BMW put that crappy adapter on their bike when doing it right adds almost no weight and costs near nothing???

Looks almost identical to the stocker but it'll run anything I want to put on it...

Flashback screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 10:23 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #218
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Lights are nice ... esp. for < $20 ...

Are they in the automotive accessory section?
Do you recall the name/brand?

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #219
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
It's the cheap option but they aren't too bad and with proper angling they really light things up. I'm much more comfortable driving back roads at night now that I can spot Bambi.

Optronics Platinum Burners Series. Cheesy name but whatever. 3.5 inch round 55W each. Item model # QH-85CD. Found with the other vehicle accessory lights in the automotive section. Interestingly this particular Walmart was also stocking Hella lights.

Manufacturer Website:

http://www.optronicsinc.com/driving2-new.html

Webbikeworld review of their predecessor here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/p...riving-lights/

Flashback screwed with this post 07-17-2011 at 05:18 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #220
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Thanks Flashback - I'm going to get myself a set!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #221
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Anyone try these Techmounts on their crash bars?
You could even put them on your handle bars, if you are so inclined....

http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/mainpage...?productid=291

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #222
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
Anyone try these Techmounts on their crash bars?
You could even put them on your handle bars, if you are so inclined....
I have a pair of Duallys (amber) hanging off crash bars via technmount. These are fairly large aux lights compared to VisionX and they've stayed put on road / gravel. I've not put them through whoops.

I went a different route for mounting VisionX to to handle bars. Sandwich a bit of trimmed rounded edged angle aluminum.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #223
jffm
n00b

Oddometer: 3
TT Denali

Attached Images

jffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #224
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Here are my Denali D1's from Twisted Throttle.
I covered the wires that come out from the battery with some automotive tubing. The tubing has a high temp rating.

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #225
Romano
RR

Oddometer: 5
Good combination

Here are mine they are CROSS COUNTRY PIAA HID 30 EACH LAMP

They works really good in combination with my other set
Attached Images

Romano screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 08:52 PM Reason: Picture did not load
Romano is offline   Reply With Quote