User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,631
Airhead F suspension question

I've got my forks off the bike doing new steering bearings - Took the whole assembly off as one piece (forks, brace, lower triple clamp).

Here's the question - Would a good wrench/suspension guru/tech be able to work on the front shocks as a whole off the bike...? I recently changed out the springs (from old Progressives to new ones), and new fork seals - but it's still got too much stiction (which may or may not have caused my high speed wobble a few weeks ago) and very little sag of any.

I figure it's off the bike and I could drop it off to a wrench/tech and save some $ since it' already off the bike. I know you need to check rear suspension while connected to the bike and I guess same for front - but figured I'd ask. I'm thinking a real old wizard with front suspensions could set it up right off the bike - or at least improve it.

Stupid?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,426
You can have them check the alignment/straightness of the legs and replace the bushings if too worn. Those are the sources of stiction. As for setting it up properly for YOU, well you're the best person to do that. Unless you're physically there sitting on the bike, they'd just be guessing about setting the sag. Once you get them moving smoothly (however you choose to do that) setting up the preload is best done on your own. Then experiment with different weights of oil until you get the damping to feel right. If you want to get more complicated you can think about gold valves and whatnot, but I'd get the stock units working right first and then look at modifying it later only if it needs it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
You can have them check the alignment/straightness of the legs and replace the bushings if too worn. Those are the sources of stiction. As for setting it up properly for YOU, well you're the best person to do that. Unless you're physically there sitting on the bike, they'd just be guessing about setting the sag. Once you get them moving smoothly (however you choose to do that) setting up the preload is best done on your own. Then experiment with different weights of oil until you get the damping to feel right. If you want to get more complicated you can think about gold valves and whatnot, but I'd get the stock units working right first and then look at modifying it later only if it needs it.
thanks for that
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,089
There are some guys out west (I'm guessing back east as well) who will re-valve forks
Their target customer are motocross guys, But it's normally a tell them your riding style, weight and they valve it, spring it. and get the preload close. That said they work mostly on new cartridge style forks but it would be worth a shot.
Places like
http://www.le-suspension.com/fork-services/
http://www.enzoracing.com/
http://www.fcrsuspension.com/
Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,718
Anton will also overhaul airhead forks. I dont know how deeply he'll get into tuning them, but yuo can talk with him directly about that.

I'm going to send my forks to him as soon as i can stop using them for a week or two
Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Anton will also overhaul airhead forks. I dont know how deeply he'll get into tuning them, but yuo can talk with him directly about that.

I'm going to send my forks to him as soon as i can stop using them for a week or two
Go with Anton, he's closer to you and he's an active member on this forum, plus he knows airheads
The links I posted, they all just focus on late model bikes.